General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Little Car Petition

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Minnie S
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Little Car Petition

I am trying to get support for a small business owner in England that BMW is taking legal action against because one of the products she creates is in the image of the Mini (although Classic). She makes high quality reproductions of "your" Mini in the form of a backpack. Please help her by clicking on the link listed in her letter below and sign the petition.

Thanks in advance for your support,
Minnie S (Jackie)
Pembroke Pines, FL

Attached is what Debora Townend wrote me:
Hello
I'm sorry to say that as some of you are already aware, I have decided to close My Little Car down. This is due to legal action being taken against me, without warning, by BMW who own the legal rights to certain trademarks and similar designs used in some of what I sold. This is a very serious position, I cannot legally defend myself as the business made no profit. BMW have every right to protect their interests and has choices which include granting me a license to carry on, or to effectively finalise my closure, claiming costs and damages as appropriate. If closed down I would have to take an oath (as in court) not to produce any of the affected items under any circumstances. Whether a license is granted or not will obviously be based on their acceptance of the products and whether it is considered worth while or not. All I'd like is for BMW to consider licensing the products, I know its unlikely they will

I'm aware of a petition which asks them to do this, if you would like to see this please go to http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/40207/ read it and if you wish, sign it. If you are a member of any forums or group web sites, please post a new topic like "My Little Car petition" and add a link to the petition, having checked a similar topic is not already there. If you'd like to add a comment please use the explanation as above.

It's important that no other public action is taken or comments made as it might not help me. There is no obligation on anyone who does sign the petition.

With best wishes
Debora Townend

Old 02-11-2007, 08:16 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Would it be possible to post a pic of one of the products in question? It would be nice to have a better idea of what this is all about.
Thanks,
Annette

Old 02-11-2007, 08:22 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did a UK yahoo search and came up with this

CLICK HERE for their website.

Last edited by snooter; 02-11-2007 at 03:52 PM. Reason: looks like the website has been taken down
Old 02-11-2007, 09:45 AM
ThatsHot
2nd Gear
I "signed" it and it says it registered but then it asks for a donation in which $2.00 is the lowest amount. $10.00 is pre-selected for you

Old 02-12-2007, 06:58 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie S
I am trying to get support for a small business owner in England that BMW is taking legal action against because one of the products she creates is in the image of the Mini (although Classic). She makes high quality reproductions of "your" Mini in the form of a backpack. Please help her by clicking on the link listed in her letter below and sign the petition.

Thanks in advance for your support,
Minnie S (Jackie)
Pembroke Pines, FL

Attached is what Debora Townend wrote me:
Hello
I'm sorry to say that as some of you are already aware, I have decided to close My Little Car down. This is due to legal action being taken against me, without warning, by BMW who own the legal rights to certain trademarks and similar designs used in some of what I sold. This is a very serious position, I cannot legally defend myself as the business made no profit. BMW have every right to protect their interests and has choices which include granting me a license to carry on, or to effectively finalise my closure, claiming costs and damages as appropriate. If closed down I would have to take an oath (as in court) not to produce any of the affected items under any circumstances. Whether a license is granted or not will obviously be based on their acceptance of the products and whether it is considered worth while or not. All I'd like is for BMW to consider licensing the products, I know its unlikely they will

I'm aware of a petition which asks them to do this, if you would like to see this please go to http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/40207/ read it and if you wish, sign it. If you are a member of any forums or group web sites, please post a new topic like "My Little Car petition" and add a link to the petition, having checked a similar topic is not already there. If you'd like to add a comment please use the explanation as above.

It's important that no other public action is taken or comments made as it might not help me. There is no obligation on anyone who does sign the petition.

With best wishes
Debora Townend

The same thing happened to the owner of this site. It used to be called "MINI Coopers Online" until BMW came down on him.
It's a shame, but you're not the only one.

Originally Posted by ThatsHot
I "signed" it and it says it registered but then it asks for a donation in which $2.00 is the lowest amount. $10.00 is pre-selected for you
hmmmm......

Edit:when I click the above link in Snooter's post, I get a "Forbidden" message..
double hmmmmmm...

Old 02-12-2007, 07:39 PM
C4
Banned
I have seen the product MINI S is talking about (I know Minnie S personally) but I am afraid that it will be an uphill battle with the big $hot attorneys BMW uses.

BMW is extremely protective of their copyrighted property and they will not let down until the "offender" either retreats or changes names. Withness what happened to this site 4 years ago when it was forced to change from Minicooperonline.com to northamericanmotoring.org.

I think the owner of this business perhaps should consider showing the products to BMW and see if they can work a business relationship, pretty much like MINIFINI did where they produced the products and they were sold exclusively through authorized MINI dealerships.

It is sad, but this is the reality. BMW owns the MINI name and everything that comes with it and they have the right to legally pursue protecting their intellectual properlty by the whatever means they have at their disposal.

There is a reason why MINIS of MIami polo shirts do not have the image of a new MINI in them...yes you guessed it!

Old 02-12-2007, 09:37 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
not to go off topic, but i'm curious... can someone use the "word" Mini (no logo, no Cooper, no Mimi images, etc.) as just type on products?

Old 02-12-2007, 09:56 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_dreams
not to go off topic, but i'm curious... can someone use the "word" Mini (no logo, no Cooper, no Mimi images, etc.) as just type on products?
yes..I have seen lots of different products with the word "Mini". The word "Cooper" just can't follow it, unless it's an authorised product.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:07 AM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
^ that's what I thought. good to know. thanks.

i hope the person mentioned in the original post can find a way to keep making the products.