GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Mushrooming Strut Tower NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 AM
el chupacabra
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mushrooming Strut Tower NEED HELP!!!

I just installed my CAI on Sunday on my GP, when I noticed that the passenger strut tower mount has mushroomed. Ok I want to get it fix obviously, but my question to all that have R53's, what should I buy to reinforce and make sure it doesnt happen again? Thanks for all advice.

Attached Thumbnails Mushrooming Strut Tower NEED HELP!!!-img_0354.jpg  
Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Strut tower plates / defenders (M7, Cravenspeed, VIP) will provide some measure of protection. For even better reinforcement, camber plates will do nicely. Ireland Engineering and Vorshlagg (sp?) are both well regarded camber plate manufacturers.

BTW, your photo does not show strut tower damage, it does show top hat damage to the rubber seal. That fix is a remove and replace of the part at about $90 each through PelicanParts. It would also be the part replaced by camber plates.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:28 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Strut tower mushrooming is the actual bending of the sheet metal around the three studs/nuts that mount the strut to the sheet metal. It is not obvious from the photo whether or not your car has mushrooming.
As OPC points out your car appears to have a torn top strut bushing which is a common problem.

My car had mushrooming and torn bushing so I replaced the top sturt mount with H-Sport (Hotchkis) adjustable camber plates. The adj camber plates have a metal bearing instead of the rubber bushing and a thick metal plate to eliminate the mushrooming. However, adj camber plates are not for everyone because they add a little noise/harseness, are expensive, and the adjustability may not be needed.

A good alternative is fixed camber plates. They have a little more durable rubber, are a little thicker to help prevent mushrooming, and increase the negative camber by 1.25 degrees which improves handling. They are also about the same price as the stock rubber bushing.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/ireland...e-r50-r53.html

Old 03-30-2011, 09:25 PM
azminiman
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Here is a easy fix.
1. get strut mount as OPC said.
2. get strut reinforcement plate. ( M7,VIP, or way's )
3. remove strut.
4. put the new reinforcement plate on top of mushroomed tower.
5. place a thick block of wood over plate and pound back down.
( the plate will cause the tower to stay in shape as it goes down)
6. when back to shape where the new mount bolts stick streight up through
put the struts back in..
All fixed. should take about 1.5 hrs max if doing yourself for first time.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
If you decide to remove the strut yourself, you will need a couple special tools:
1. Spring compressor, Harbor Freight has them for about $15.
2. Spark Plug socket with hex top to get top strut nut off and on (need to stick allen wrench through socket and turn socket with a wrench).

Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Varooom
1st Gear
Originally Posted by quikmni
If you decide to remove the strut yourself, you will need a couple special tools:
1. Spring compressor, Harbor Freight has them for about $15.
2. Spark Plug socket with hex top to get top strut nut off and on (need to stick allen wrench through socket and turn socket with a wrench).

Do you really need a spring compressor to remove the strut? doesn't it come out as one unit?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:39 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Yes the spring compressor is not necessary to remove the complete strut assembly. You only need the spring compressor to remove the spring for installing a stronger top plate such as fixed or adjustable camber plates.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:43 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
Alternative to traditional spring compressors: Get a pair of those small ratchet straps from Harbour Freight or similar source. They're able to safely compress the spring but they don't gouge the finish.