Headed back to Mini...GP or GP2

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 05:21 PM
lee4him
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headed back to Mini...GP or GP2

I'm looking for some clarity to my decision. I've been out of the mini scene for a few years now. I had an 06 Checkmate S and have since departed ways and gone from 03 Cobra, to Tacoma, to 911 and now looking to get back into the car that was most fun to drive...the Mini, but of course y'all already know that ;-) Anyway, I've always thought if I got back into a Mini, it would be a GP. Now that there is the GP2, I've got to make a decision between the two. I've driven the '13 JCW but not the GP2. That test drive is scheduled for Friday. My impression of the JCW was pretty good but it lacked the feedback my 06 gave me. There was no exhaust feedback on deceleration and it just seemed to gentleman like. Sort of like my 911 (911 turbo was a different story). Nice car just missing something. So, I'm soon to find out if the GP2 is similar but what I don't know is the difference in driving experience between the GP and GP2.

I've seen the GP2 and sat in it and it's really a sharp car. Unfortunately I have not been able to sit in the GP. However, I'm familiar with the R53 due to owning the Checkmate. So I have an idea of the interior. What I don't know is the driving experience. I can buy a new GP2 for 38-39K but I can also buy a low mileage GP for high teens. So, for those that have owned both, what advice could you share regarding the two cars. Thanks

Old 09-19-2013, 04:05 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 310 Likes on 222 Posts
I've owned a GP and now own a GP2, and can help with feedback. The car is my daily driver, which was the primary motivation for the change to GP2, otherwise I'd still be in the R53 GP.

GP1 advantages - Price, value, steering, visceral driving experience, supercharger, FUN
GP2 advantages - Xenons, Recaros, Brembo brakes, interior, warranty, no rattles, radio

A few other thoughts:

GP2 works better as a daily driver. Suspension feel is very similar between the two cars. Brakes, seats, and headlights are enormously better on the GP2. GP1 has the same seats as your 2006 Checkmate. GP1 will hold value better and is far less expensive to buy. GP1 will be noticeably lighter and more nimble than your 2006 Checkmate ( I also had a 2006 R53 before.)

So it really depends on your priorities. To me, they are both fantastic cars, can't go wrong with either. Hope this helps.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd have to put my vote in for the original. The GP2 is a very nice car, but if you're in the market for a $40K hotrod, there are some nice choices out there. I do like the race compound tires on the GP2, but if you drive it daily, you better budget for at least $1000/yr. in tires.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 AM
lee4him
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! I know the new one has some nice interior upgrades and looks really nice; however, Helix13 is right. There are a lot of 40K hotrods i.e. Boss 302, STI, 996TT etc... With that said, the mini has a connection with the drive that really puts a smile on your face daily. Of course the others do too, but in a different way. Anyway, thanks for adding some perspective.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:16 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 310 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
I'd have to put my vote in for the original. The GP2 is a very nice car, but if you're in the market for a $40K hotrod, there are some nice choices out there. I do like the race compound tires on the GP2, but if you drive it daily, you better budget for at least $1000/yr. in tires.
Agree that price is probably the deciding factor here. With a wide disparity in cost, GP1 is the better value and is a great car for sure. I'd still be in the R53 GP if not for the demands of the daily commute.

Regarding tires on the GP2, I do not fully agree with the comment. It is not realistic to run the Kumho v700 all year round as a street tire, at least where we live. I will be replacing them with either Michelin PSS or Direzza II, which will last longer than a year And they will be free as MINI is providing a set of the standard performance RFT (comes with GP2 purchase as an option) which will be sold to cover the cost of the replacement tires.

lee4him - good luck in the search. It may take some time and patience to find the right one. I searched for about 8 months before buying GP0411.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JackMac

Regarding tires on the GP2, I do not fully agree with the comment. It is not realistic to run the Kumho v700 all year round as a street tire, at least where we live. I will be replacing them with either Michelin PSS or Direzza II, which will last longer than a year And they will be free as MINI is providing a set of the standard performance RFT (comes with GP2 purchase as an option) which will be sold to cover the cost of the replacement tires.
Fair nuff.