WayMotorWorks MFS kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 03:54 AM
ks_mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely in love with my new GP2. Never driven a car that's so much fun. I look for excuses to go places now.

That being said there are some things I want to change. I've seen all the debates and couldn't care less. Half the reason I became interested in MINIs 5 years ago was all the personalization/you-ification options.

First up was the tires. Michelin PSS 215/45/17 over the Conti run flats that came on it made a huge difference in daily city driving.

Next up is cruise control. This is a must for me as I'm already way more likely to rack up tickets now with the performance and even in my trucks I would use cruise in town to keep me limited to 5-7 mph over the speed limit. I can certainly live with the extra five ounces of weight.

I'm looking at the WayMotorWorks msf kit. Everyone tells me they make excellent equipment and I'm working with my dealer to see if they will install it for me and update my ecu. Some questions.

First, why is it so expensive? $675 for some plastic buttons and wires?

Second how do they get/make these parts? Are they original from MINI or aftermarket built to resemble stock? If the latter how close is the fit/finish from stock?

Is there nothing additional under the hood needed? Forgive my ignorance here but I envision a little clamp that holds a throttle cable in place but maybe that's old school and these newer beasts do it all electronically?

How much work is the install and what would be a reasonable price to expect from a dealer? Or is it asking too much from a dealer to expect them to install and warranty a non-stock part like this? Can't imagine it would hurt warranty any more than a stock one unless the part is lower quality.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for any and all info!

Last edited by ks_mini; 01-11-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 AM
e92oholic
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interested too. Picking mine up today this will most likely be first on the list next to homelink/autodim

Old 01-11-2014, 10:42 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Last I checked it wasn't a matter of just adding the MFSW pods, the whole steering angle sensor aka: section behind the steering wheel had to be replaced as well. That alone is about an $600.00 part. And the one from the GP2 is without rain sensor, and only one made like that. Not sure why.

Similar part no. with rain sensor is: 61-31-9-253-770 SWITCH UNIT. But here may the problem. After installation, it has to be programmed to the car. This part may not program properly since it is not a part which was designed to be in the GP2.

Name:  STERRINGANGLE.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  37.5 KB

Also from what I can tell, a MINI which comes from the factory w/o MFSW controls ( ala R56 and up )cannot be adapted to just have pods installed. BUT the replacement part switching unit above, say if you had to replace the factory one is MFSW compatable. At least reading the parts catalog crib notes from BMW this is whats indicated.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Matty33
2nd Gear
Let us know how it goes and your thoughts. This is something I'm interested in doing down the road, the only 2 things I wish the GP had was cruise control and a rear wiper.

Both are annoying to be without riding on the highway often.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:04 PM
glmini
3rd Gear
I had Way install the MFSW on my GP. It was well worth it.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:46 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by glmini
I had Way install the MFSW on my GP. It was well worth it.

Great ! What parts did you need for the GP2, and was it a gray box coding or dealer ?

Old 01-12-2014, 03:36 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
We've sold several of these kits and even did one this week. You will need our kit and then it will have to be coded after you install it, then retrofit code the rest of the car to make the cruise work. It only takes an hour to swap it all out, then time to code.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more