Little red bomber is sick :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Latka
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled the right rear wheel off the red '71 this morning to try to figure out what was causing the tire to leak air. Shot it with simple green...put it in a tub of water - did everything I could think of, but couldn't find the leak. Ugh! Decided I was going to shoot it with "Fix a flat" to try to seal the tire until I can order those Yoko A008s I want.

Before I put the wheel back on the hub I thought I'd check the bearings on the back end, 'cause I suspect they've been slowly dying on me. Sure enough - that right rear wheel sounds pretty bad. When I wiggled the whole assembly with the wheel on I got like 1/8" play, whereas the other side is tight. Doh! Guess the little guy isn't moving until I get those new rear wheel bearings in.

I might just bite the bullet and get those Yoko A008s while I'm at it too... but that means I'll mis *another* damn SCCA event. Sheesh.

Can anyone reccomend an machine shop out here on O'ahu? I need to get that 1275cc A+ engine bored out .040 and don't know who to take it to. Also someone who can "hot tank" the whole block and clean 'er up for me...

I'm going to try to make it to the MINI and a Movie tomorrow - is it at the dealership?

-Andy

Old 10-11-2003, 05:05 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Latka,

Sorry to hear about your leak. I don't know of a good shop for your work but the Beastmaster should. Or maybe baronius. Try a PM to them.

Yes tomorrow 11am is the movie (the New IJ) at the dealership.

Old 10-11-2003, 05:07 PM
Latka
5th Gear
I think I just made my tire leak stop. I ordered a set of Yokohama A008s. :smile: Only $44 shipping through Tirerack.com. Not too shabby. Came out under $300. I bet these will work a LOT better than the crap-o-meter tires I've got on there now. Might try to save one for a spare...just in case. :smile:

Old 10-11-2003, 05:36 PM
minihune
Yes, tirerack is one of the few places that actually have decent shipping prices when I have checked.
They must own a piece of FedEx or ship out of their own area with excellent rates.

Good to hear you will be back in business soon. And with an upgrade- better yet.
Now you just have to figure out how to triple your HP.

Easy- GoMini
http://www.gomini.com/fs/vtec/vtec.htm
GoMini is proud to be able to offer Honda VTEC powered Minis.
Honda VTEC engines are available from a stunning 175 bhp upwards and can be fitted to both standard saloon and clubman shaped minis. Our extensive VTEC conversion includes engine installation in a custom built sub-frame. Utilizing Rover K-Series steering and brakes, both front and rear suspension is modified using progressive coil springs to replace the original mini rubber cone suspension. Adjustable dampers are fitted and rear wheel spacers are custom machined from billet alloy to allow the fitment of either 13" or 14" alloy wheels within standard Mini Sport Pack flares. The exhaust system is a combination of Honda standard down-pipes and Mini sport style muffler, producing a subdued yet purposeful tone.
Priced from $19,000 on up each!!!!
Performance from 1.6 litre engine in Mini Saloon:
175 bhp or 195 bhp Honda VTEC
0 - 60 in 5.0 seconds
135 mph
------------------------------

That's kinda scary to think of a mini with 195 HP and it goes 0-60 in 5.0 seconds. 14" alloy wheels. That's more like a rocket with wheels and a steering wheel and seat.

Old 10-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Latka
5th Gear
I was thinkin of doin that to the red car, but I was ultimately veto'd by the commander in chief. If I sell the red car then I can get another one and do it to that. :smile:

These are probably the guys I'd go with if I did it.
http://www.saeminivtec.co.uk/mainframe.htm

There's a Mini guy up in Seattle that makes a custom subframe to fit under the standard "round nose" Mini with no extension needed (most kits require a 90mm extension) - but the frame itself is $1600.

Then again...I'd flat out suck the doors off the JCW MINI Cooper S with that

Old 10-11-2003, 07:41 PM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
Try Okuhara Machine Shop. They are across from Voyteks old shop on Queen Street.

Let's see, you used a tub to dip your wheel to see if there was a leak. Geez, you could have used your wash basin in your bathroom! And you could hot dip your entire car in a bathtub.

Old 10-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Latka
5th Gear
Thanks, Bryan. I'll check them out.

It wasn't a "tub" exactly - it was the plastic covering for a wheel balancing machine. Just flipped it over and filled it up with water.

Old 10-12-2003, 08:32 PM
minihune
Latka,
I like your little red bomber better than the orange monster I saw this morning.
Maybe OK to see from afar it doesn't look like a good value up close.

Old 10-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Latka
5th Gear
Why thank ya, sir.

I was happy to see another Classic Mini out there. Was bummed that my car couldn't make it today. Oh well...hopefully she'll be all back together for the SCCA event this month. Gotta go out there and try to win the HS class this time.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:17 PM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
I guess you could say the orange bonmber was attractive. Good looking from afar, but far from good looking. And to think, a female friend gave me this definition. I think it was in reference to another female friend of mine. I could see her claws coming out!