How To Electrical :: AutoMeter Boost Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:33 PM
rhubbard
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did mine last night also. I have some mounting issues that I'm going to take care of with a custom plate, but I'm still going to utilize the Autometer cups and clamp rings.

This is mine with the Carbon Fiber cups. And I know my gauges don't match, I had these from my old car. Think of it as two demon eyes starring at you as you drive.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:27 PM
KevinBaker
3rd Gear
What brand gauges are they? Can't make out the logo. Looks like with orange backlighting they'd match fairly well. What do the faces look like in the day?

Old 01-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Philip Rushing
2nd Gear
Wiring question.....

Has anyone connected the light by splicing into the harness right at the tachometer? Seems to me to be the logical thing to do. I am just unsure of the colour scheme. This has to be LOTS easier than the other wiring schemes presented here.
What colour wire controls the light right at the harness?
Thanks

Old 01-24-2007, 01:55 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by Philip Rushing
Has anyone connected the light by splicing into the harness right at the tachometer? Seems to me to be the logical thing to do. I am just unsure of the colour scheme. This has to be LOTS easier than the other wiring schemes presented here.
What colour wire controls the light right at the harness?
Thanks
I did. But the space is real tight and eventually I lost the connection and ended up tapping in next to the fuse box just like others.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Philip Rushing
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
I did. But the space is real tight and eventually I lost the connection and ended up tapping in next to the fuse box just like others.
Which wires did you tap? Thanks in advance....I will most likely solder

Old 01-24-2007, 05:45 PM
goaljnky
Banned
It's the same wire that is mentioned earlier in the thread. I think it was grey/pink? Not sure there is enough room there to solder. I only had about an inch of so of play in the harness.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:51 PM
chuckt
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used that wire also, it is very tight though. I stripped back the cloth tape they use to wrap the wires about 1.5" or so to give me some room. I used the ground wire on that connector also. It's held up fine for a month now & I don't think there will be a problem.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:54 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KevinBaker
What brand gauges are they? Can't make out the logo. Looks like with orange backlighting they'd match fairly well. What do the faces look like in the day?
I think they are prosport gauges. You can get them with a red backlighting as well. The only thing I don't like is the boost gauge goes to 30 psi...with a 15% pulley, you might not even make it over 15 psi.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:30 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
It's Alive

Thanks for the HOW TO! I installed an Auto Meter 2 5/8" Boost/Vacuum gauge this past weekend. With the 15% pulley I'm seeing 15lbs of boost and up to 24 in/Hg vacuum. I managed to get power for the new amber light bulb from my non existent heated seat lights, with dimming capabilities! I just removed the driver's side sill trim and there were the wires.(Grey/Red) I tested for power and made sure they dimmed before splicing in the hot lead! Good times! I may try to fab an elongated braket out of plate aluminum as I may get an Oil Pressure gauge too. The oil pressure gauge can go on the lateral side of tach and the boost/vacuum gauge can go on the medial side!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:58 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jhiggs26
Thanks for the HOW TO! I installed an Auto Meter 2 5/8" Boost/Vacuum gauge this past weekend. With the 15% pulley I'm seeing 15lbs of boost and up to 24 in/Hg vacuum. I managed to get power for the new amber light bulb from my non existent heated seat lights, with dimming capabilities! I just removed the driver's side sill trim and there were the wires.(Grey/Red) I tested for power and made sure they dimmed before splicing in the hot lead! Good times! I may try to fab an elongated braket out of plate aluminum as I may get an Oil Pressure gauge too. The oil pressure gauge can go on the lateral side of tach and the boost/vacuum gauge can go on the medial side!
No problem!

Enjoy it!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:24 AM
user 7082082
Banned
wooo ! i should be getting mine at my door on friday ! nice little weekend project.

thanks for the great write up.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:12 PM
minimort
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, so I got the gauge in and wired up so it turns on with the lights. I installed the hose and attatched it with the T fitting at the fuel pressure regulator, but it doesn't read pressure, so it looks slick when lit, but the gauge doesn't move from 0psi. Any thoughts on what this could be from?

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2007, 06:18 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimort
Ok, so I got the gauge in and wired up so it turns on with the lights. I installed the hose and attatched it with the T fitting at the fuel pressure regulator, but it doesn't read pressure, so it looks slick when lit, but the gauge doesn't move from 0psi. Any thoughts on what this could be from?

Thanks!
Hi minimort,

You must have a kink in the nylon tubing somewhere. You'll see vacuum at idle when you fire it up(idling). While driving you'll see vacuum until you squeeze the throttle 75% to WOT then you'll see increasing boost!

Old 02-18-2007, 10:51 PM
user 7082082
Banned
hey guys how is everyone doing...

okay basically got this big big problem wich i cant really explain now but would like some answers for one thing , i am at a friends house and have to leave now so thats the reason so any help would be greatly appreciated since i am having mini roadside pick up the car tom morning.

Basically , the only thing i would like to know is, the little black plastic clamp that goes around the fuel pressure regulator that moves in and out , is that a way to adjust how rich and lean you are running , cuz i did everything it should be and at first the car was running very very very weird . After moving that little plastic piece it starting smelling like gas like crazy and the check engine light turned on and the car is not running right at all . The only thing i removed and reinstalled was the lil tube under the fuel pressure gauge and moved the plastic piece so i really want to know what went wrong.

any help would be great .

thanks guys in advance.

-art

Old 03-02-2007, 07:46 AM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMacPR
Well, since nobody has posted a picture of the AM 2 5/8" Boost Gauge on the Chrono Pack per the original How-to, here they are:

I wish ...(blah, blah, blah )

After 4 months with the above setup I thought I should do a follow up post for the motorers with the chrono/nav packages. The way I installed the gauge, it interfered with the turning signal in that every time I would turn right, the high beams would turn on. It would also make a very annoying noise as it was pretty tight and the nylon hose would rub on the back.

At the time I posted, Bahamabart and I exchanged a couple of PM's about the install and he thought the Mymini Bracket would help me clean it up a bit. He was generous enough to send me a left over one he had lying around. I've had the bracket for a while now and I hadn't had the time to work on the install until this past week.

In summary, I just couldn't find a position next to the OEM gauges that I was happy with. I tried every position short of going into the dash and a/c vents.

Left - Interfered with turning signal and in other locations could not see gauge through steering wheel.

Top center - Could not see gauge through steering wheel.

Right - No space, very visible to passengers.

From this process I have come to the conclusion that the 2 5/8" gauge is just too big for the chrono/nav setup. I think a smaller gauge is more appropiate for the chrono pack and would have probably worked in the original position or the top (12 o'clock) position.

Well since I already have this gauge and the original intent was to keep the costs at a minimum, I ended up doing as the picture attached. I'm not ecstatic about it and I need to clean it up if I decide to leave it there. I'm still looking for other alternatives, but it will do for now. I'm actually getting to like it more and more every day, it is very discreet for a daily driver, I see it without much effort, and it is out of the way. I don't think, however, it will work to well on track days, we'll see.

The Mymini bracket was instrumental in this setup since it is very versatile and can be bent to numerous shapes. You would obviously need to have the Euro parcel to do what I did, but I already had it so it wasn't an issue. If anyone is interested I can give more details on the install, the post is long enough as it is...

So, thanks Bart for the bracket , it was very useful. I highly recommend it to anyone considering this install, it provides a cleaner install and gives you alot more alternatives for positioning of the gauge. It also gives you the chance to angle the gauge easily. For $15 it's worth it !

Attached Thumbnails Electrical :: AutoMeter Boost Gauge Install-am-gauge-small-.jpg  
Old 03-04-2007, 04:50 AM
fj0
5th Gear
Where's a good source to buy Autopower Gauges from?

Old 03-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Bullet2006
2nd Gear
Place to purchase autometer gauge

I just ordered my from e-gauge online. The prices are equivalent to what the thread had and will take only 3 days to get to me.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:31 AM
raven9mm
2nd Gear
I got mine done. I actually had not done the VGS on my 03 yet, so instead of the 2 tee's I used a 4 way that looks like 2 tee's side by side, TT. worked well. But I have Nav, and I ran out of room on the left, and had to put the gauge more forward than I wanted in the cup to avoid kinking, unless I can get a 90* fitting. Has anyone found a source for these at all?

Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM
chuckt
4th Gear
Mine came with the 90° fitting.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:39 PM
raven9mm
2nd Gear
found them!
Autometer part number: atm-3272
Autozone can order them for $11.99
Pepboys can order them for $5.70
you need to have them look for it, have them search for only the 3272

Old 03-16-2007, 05:49 AM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
Well I installed my Auto meter Electronic boost guage last night with the help of a friend

take a look:

The guage reading boost:

The install:

So far I have seen 12lbs of boost on the way to work. The guage also has a peak boost light and playback to show your highest boost level. I was glad I had it left over from my last mini cooper.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:54 PM
chuckt
4th Gear
Where did you get that bracket?

Old 03-18-2007, 11:44 AM
big willa
1st Gear
Hi all this is a great thread I was just wondering if any of you have had any trouble with the stock dash lights after splicing the grey/red wire. Thats if you stay with the 5w autometer bulb which is .4 amps. I don't want to damage any of the other lights in the circuit $$$$.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:57 AM
big willa
1st Gear
Oh yah I will be doing a oil temp guage how to since I have a MC, with future mods planned for the future. I should have the install done next weekend just waiting on a couple of parts. I couldn't have thought of doing one with out all your help so thanks.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:19 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Got my gauge and am waiting for the MyMiniParts bracket... Can't wait!

NOTE for those that are having issues matching the bulb color... Many say that the orange 194 blub (non-LED) is "too yellow" and does not match the OEM gauges. Here's a lighting color-matching tip:

Red Sharpie.

Sharpie ink sticks to glass or plastic, is transparent, and is often used by the lighting/LED/cathode kids to "tint" their lights. What I find with orange lights and LEDs is that yes they ARE a bit more yellow than what MINI supplied, so I take my red Sharpie and draw lines along the length of whatever light I want to use. Test. If it's still too yellow, thicken the lines. Keep thickening until you have a perfect color match. if you end up totally coating your LEDs/bulbs and the color still isn't rich enough for your tastes, you can put on multiple coats of Sharpie to deepen the color.

I haven't tried color-matching my gauge yet (I have the dark-faced carbon fibre one to match my dark gray Outmotoring gauge face plates) but I know that so long as I have my trusty Sharpie I'll be good to go.

Quick Reply: How To Electrical :: AutoMeter Boost Gauge Install