Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior ebay smoked arch lamps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Standard
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ebay smoked arch lamps?

I bought some of the smoked arch lamp film from outmotoring and me saying i didnt like it would be an understatement. It looked tacky and was obviously a film. I want to buy the real thing, a set of OE quality direct replacement smoked sidemarkers. found these on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-06...spagenameZWDVW
unfortunately i've always been wary of buying automotive parts on ebay, anyone have any experience with this or any other good smoked arch lamps???

Old 05-06-2007, 07:47 PM
jeffsc
1st Gear
I think these were the ones I got, but I don't remember exactly. I had no problems, though; it was shipped quickly and arrived in good condition.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:54 PM
marco621
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffsc
I think these were the ones I got, but I don't remember exactly. I had no problems, though; it was shipped quickly and arrived in good condition.
Any pics of the smoked lenses installed? I'm also debating which would look better, the smoke film or the smoked lenses.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:57 PM
TwistySister
4th Gear
I bought a set off eBay last fall and I love the way they look on my car! Much better than the orange and red ones that were on my MCS DS/W. I may have gotten mine from a different seller, but, the seller you are looking buy from seems to have great feedback.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Standard
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by marco621
Any pics of the smoked lenses installed? I'm also debating which would look better, the smoke film or the smoked lenses.
trust me the price for the film might be enticing but i doubt you'll be completely happy. don't make my mistake, just hold out and get some lenses. from what is sounds the ebay sellers are legit.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:25 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
i agree the film never looked just right i have the smoked ones too and it looks alot better

Old 05-07-2007, 06:29 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It seems like it would just be better to smoke tint the stock ones. You say that the film looked too tacky (presumably because you could tell its film) So why not grab some light tinting spray and just spray the stock ones? It would be cheaper, less tacky than the film and actually legal and safe unlike the ebay ones.

I never really understood why people would buy the ebay ones actually. If you install them you clearly dont care that your car has become "illegal" so why not just put the euro arches on the car??

Old 05-07-2007, 07:00 AM
TwistySister
4th Gear
Originally Posted by marco621
Smoked lenses, not film. Since the lights are reflective they look a little brighter in the pic than real life. Second pic is with my lights on.

Last edited by TwistySister; 06-22-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:13 AM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
If anyone is local to me pay me 40 bucks and I will tint them with a can of bumper black spray paint.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
It seems like it would just be better to smoke tint the stock ones. You say that the film looked too tacky (presumably because you could tell its film) So why not grab some light tinting spray and just spray the stock ones? It would be cheaper, less tacky than the film and actually legal and safe unlike the ebay ones.

I never really understood why people would buy the ebay ones actually. If you install them you clearly dont care that your car has become "illegal" so why not just put the euro arches on the car??
Its not illegal for me in the state of Texas, and how is it unsafe? For me i still have orange and red LEDs in them so they still light up the stock color, the only difference is that the reflector is white instead of colored. I guess it depends on your states laws as to what is "illegal" or not. Not having a front license plate IS however illegal in Texas but i dont have one and im not concerned with the fact that im driving an "illegal" car. BTW im working on painting my arches and when i do im going to put on the Euro arches.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by IrishCooper
Its not illegal for me in the state of Texas, and how is it unsafe? For me i still have orange and red LEDs in them so they still light up the stock color, the only difference is that the reflector is white instead of colored. I guess it depends on your states laws as to what is "illegal" or not. Not having a front license plate IS however illegal in Texas but i dont have one and im not concerned with the fact that im driving an "illegal" car. BTW im working on painting my arches and when i do im going to put on the Euro arches.
Alright maybe some states might be different....but many that i have read require orange and red reflectors....not just lights.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:29 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
in the state of Texas all that is required is RED REAR reflectors side reflectors or lights are not required

Old 05-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
in the state of Texas all that is required is RED REAR reflectors side reflectors or lights are not required
cool sounds like euro arches would be an awesome addition then....definitely a cleaner look than having smoked or non-smoked side reflectors

Old 05-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's safe enough for the europeans, I'm sure it's just fine for us Americans. And the chance of getting caught is probably nil.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Standard
2nd Gear
in all honesty i could care less about being illegal. i don't run a front plate and plan on having a very loud exhaust, reflectors are the least of my worries.

I like the idea about the spray tint, never thought about it, although I'm also very curious about the Euro arches. how expensive are they?

Old 05-08-2007, 12:45 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...uctshow&id=215

About $20 US each so $80 for the set of 4 plus shipping

Old 05-08-2007, 07:01 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
guys guys guys... take rally's advice...

Here is my result using rally's suggestion. RC car window tint.

I think it looks great. They blend right into the moldings and under direct light such as headlights, sun does not light them up, have a slight reflective hue of the original reflector color. when the light up just a quarter size light is what shines through. Just enough to be safe.

total cost = $6 and 2 hours of my time.

Last edited by minimusprime; 05-08-2007 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Standard
2nd Gear
http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...uctshow&id=215

About $20 US each so $80 for the set of 4 plus shipping

80 wouldnt be a bad price, its the $40+ charged for shipping that i couldn't handle (total turned out being around $125!!) oh well looks like either ebay or spray tint it is. thanks for the link!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:18 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
im actually only getting the rear ones cause im getting a new front bumper that has the moldings built in. The shipping is a bit steep but its coming from UK so i dont mind, it was about the same shipping when i got my UK spec taillights.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:35 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Originally Posted by jeffsc
BEWARE dealing with PROEXHAUST on eBay...

They make your personal information available for free.

Wondering how?

Click on the link provided and copy/paste ANY of the seller's auction numbers into the "Track Shipment" link on the seller's "ME" page....

I purchased a set from Proexhaust and received shipping confirmation number within 12 hours. However, the item never arrived and I contacted them several times only to be finally told the item was sold out as soon as they created the listing.

I notified Paypal & eBay via phone (I'm a powerseller) and they flagged PROEXHAUST's account.

Paypal policy states that a seller is REQUIRED to ship an item within 7 days of receiving payment AND the seller is REQUIRED to provide online tracking/delivery confirmation.

Here's the catch:

When an unsuspecting buyer files a complaint with Paypal for non-delivery, PROEXHAUST would simply provide Paypal with the tracking/delivery confirmation number and the buyer would lose the dispute. If the buyer didn't purchase insurance, PROEXHAUST wouldn't ship the item and they'd get to keep the buyer's money because they had "proof" of shipment.

If the buyer DID purchase insurance, they would only receive a refund of the purchase price, not the shipping.

I won my dispute immediately because I was able to provide Paypal with the two emails from the seller: (1st) included shipping confirmation number and (2nd) included seller stating the item hadn't even shipped.

If ANYONE has purchased an item from PROEXHAUST and hasn't received the item after 10 days, file a complaint with Paypal immediately!

If Paypal doesn't give you the refund....AND you paid with a credit card, file a dispute with your credit card company.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:32 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
i actually purchased mine through PROEXHAUST and never had any problems.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:33 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Any links to this spray tint mentioned?

Old 05-08-2007, 05:50 PM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
2nd Gear
Ditto

Old 05-09-2007, 05:37 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Congrats on being lucky enough to not encounter any problems. However, your personal info is still there for everyone to see.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:35 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Like what? name and address? they wouldnt have much else except my email address. I never gave them anymore info than that.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior ebay smoked arch lamps?