Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior RUBBER BOOT MAT EXTENSION

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:46 AM
ChrisO
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RUBBER BOOT MAT EXTENSION

Does anyone know anything about this rubber seat back cover?
Does it require any modifications (I don't see the cut out for seat back lock)?
Is it functional and durable?
Pro's / Con's

RUBBER BOOT MAT EXTENSION - COOPER & S 2002 - 2006
The OEM Rubber Boot Floor Mat Extension provides protection for the backs of seats when in the folded position. Held in place with velcro strips (already attached). Fits coupe and convertible.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Old 05-15-2007, 12:21 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I have one and use it in my '03 MC as well as in my '06 MCS. As stated, just fold down the rear seats and fit it in...the velcro holds it in place and the slits slide between the folded-down seat backs near the boot...two metal pieces. I have found the mat to be very useful for when hauling sloppy stuff like softener salt, mulch and topsoil bags. It is a heavier form of rubber/vinyl and it is prettydurable. It is somewhat flexible, too [not stiff, not floppy], and stays in place when I motor with the windows and sunroofs open. I'm pretty happy with it, mostly because I can take it out and use the rear seats whenever the need calls for it. If I hadn't gotten it, I probably would have gone with a rear seat delete, but this fills my needs really satisfactorily. If you get one, get the extension that fits on the floor of the boot, too [it is a separate piece, but is made from the same material and also can take the abuse of the stuff I put on the larger mat without having to fold down the rear seats.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:34 PM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is only one down fall. You can't put up the seats and use this at the same time.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:50 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
That's very true, but for me, it beats the alternative...taking out the rear seats and installing a rear seat delete kit...thus losing the rear seats completely. It's flexible enough that you CAN move the seatbacks back to the upright position and bend over the mat to fit in the boot without creasing it.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:53 PM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm righ there with ya. Seats down w/ mat extension 99% of the time. I tried to take a pic in the garage just a moment ago but there wasn't enough light.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:54 PM
TReed
2nd Gear
I have this and it does help keep stuff from sliding around when you have the seats down. I leave my seats down almost all the time, but when I do need to put the seats up and I can't take it out, I just fold it back into the boot.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I'm with you guys...I keep my rear seats down most of the time. The mat is very useful, indeed. When I take my dog motoring with me, I use a big pillow from Big Lots that occupies almost all the rear seat area and fits directly on the mat. It cost about $20 and the cover is washable and plasticized on the bottom to keep from moving around, too. This way, he is comfy in hot and cold weather and I don't have to worry so much about sudden stops and him flying about, as I would if he was just sitting on the mat alone.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:25 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I modified my Extension Mat so that I could keep it in the car full time. I never knew when I was going to need it, so keeping it inside made the most sense. The difficulty is that it's not designed to be used in the seat folded up position, but with some careful cutting, it can work.

Here's what it looks like. The one drawback of this that I never solved was how to utilize the split seats with this mod. Splitting the cover would reduce the effectiveness of the cover when sliding large things into the the MINI.

The bottom portion was carefully bent the opposite direction it wants to flow and is tucked under the rubber cargo mat.

If anyone wants details I can provide more detailed pictures.

Richard

Old 05-15-2007, 04:36 PM
ChrisO
1st Gear
OctainGuy,
That is exactly how I want to use it. I did not realize that it was designed to be used only in the down position without modification.
What changes did you make so it would work in the up position?

Old 05-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Looks like he cut holes for:
1)The seat latch (so the seats can lock in the up position)
2)The seat releases

I just leave mine in the garage unless I need it. I rarely use the back seats, but like to have the hidden boot compartment, and don't want to cut up the extention to accomodate it.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:49 PM
OctaneGuy
To use the Boot Mat Extension in the upright position, you only need to make a few cuts. In use, it works very well.

Fits flush

There are rings in the boot that are used for tie downs in the boot area get in the way of the matt, so I cut longer slots to allow movement when the seats are folded up or down.

To locate the hole for the seat pulls, I applied some tape with the adhesive out, so that when I lined up the extension, it would adhere to the correct location so I knew where to cut.

As you can see here, it's stuck to the extension now ready to be cut.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 05-15-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:01 PM
ChrisO
1st Gear
Nice going OctaneGuy, that was very helpful. I will give it a try when I modify mine.
ChrisO

Old 05-15-2007, 10:43 PM
RA080624
Banned
Originally Posted by golden_child
There is only one down fall. You can't put up the seats and use this at the same time.

lies i cut mine so that it would fold up and i added more velcro so it would stick and i also cut the bottom off

Old 05-16-2007, 04:16 AM
TwistySister
4th Gear
I just leave mine in the garage unless I need it. I rarely use the back seats, but like to have the hidden boot compartment, and don't want to cut up the extention to accomodate it.[/quote]

Me too. I added some checkered mats that are in the boot all the time, but, the rubber mat is in the garage unless I know I'm headed out for something I'll need it for. Like taking the car to have the winter / summer wheels changed.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:48 AM
OctaneGuy
I didn't cut the bottom off because I felt it provided needed protection to the bottom of the seats when they are folded down and exposed.

Originally Posted by scandune
lies i cut mine so that it would fold up and i added more velcro so it would stick and i also cut the bottom off