Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Alta Light Bar Legalities

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007 | 05:45 PM
Jeremy1026
|
Alta Light Bar Legalities

Could anyone help me find documentation that the Alta Light Bars are legal in the state of MD? My parents are being all psycho and are only letting me do mods that are legal

Old 05-16-2007 | 05:54 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
Could anyone help me find documentation that the Alta Light Bars are legal in the state of MD? My parents are being all psycho and are only letting me do mods that are legal
Its not the bar that matters but the height of the lamps. See http://mlis.state.md.us/cgi-win/web_...exe?gtr&22-217

They can only be fogs down low and be no less than 12". When I did fogs, there was a MD inspector there and said if the car was inspected it would fail ... less than 12". (assumming the bottom of the lamp).

Probably not what you wanted to hear but that is the law.

Old 05-16-2007 | 06:09 PM
Jeremy1026
|
So, reading that link, if I ran 2 fogs and 2 driving lamps on the bar, at 16inches off the ground, I would be ok? Assuming I aim the beams at the correct angles.

Old 05-16-2007 | 06:28 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
So, reading that link, if I ran 2 fogs and 2 driving lamps on the bar, at 16inches off the ground, I would be ok? Assuming I aim the beams at the correct angles.
Correct. Of course, if your parents are insisting to be legal, you cant do that because you would have no front plate unless mounting someplace higher.

And ... as it says, you must wire the fogs to go out with the high beams on and ... there is another law that you can only have four (4) lamps on at any one time, in other words, if your parents are following the law, you can runs the two fogs and two lows or the two driving lamps and two highs but NOT six lamps at once.

This presumes you dont have fogs already because if you do, you cant legally run six sets of lamps ... you can bolt them on but not use them all at the same time

How are you getting around the license law? Your parents dont care?

Old 05-16-2007 | 06:31 PM
Jeremy1026
|
Originally Posted by chows4us
How are you getting around the license law? Your parents dont care?
I would find somewhere to mount the front plate, it looks like a tow hook mount could potentially work for running the front plate. This sucks though, I'll probably have to do a 2 light thing, either PIAA or OEM

Old 05-17-2007 | 12:26 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
I would find somewhere to mount the front plate, it looks like a tow hook mount could potentially work for running the front plate. This sucks though, I'll probably have to do a 2 light thing, either PIAA or OEM
Why? If that is a pic of your car, it looks like you already got fog lights. There is nothing that says you can't have additional fogs, you just can't have six lamps on at one time (legally). If you mean the plate ... I dunno.

Old 05-17-2007 | 12:36 PM
kapps
6th Gear
If you already have fog lights, you can tap the turn-on lead to your stock one's so they turn on and off with them. That's what I did and it works great.

Old 05-17-2007 | 12:43 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kapps
If you already have fog lights, you can tap the turn-on lead to your stock one's so they turn on and off with them. That's what I did and it works great.
Actually, as I reread the law referenced above, I dont think you can legally add ANY fogs if you already got them. It specifically states

"Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps"

That is pretty simple. If you got two fogs, then that is it. You cannot legally add two more.

Old 05-17-2007 | 12:57 PM
Jeremy1026
|
So there is no way to legally add and use the alta bar on my MINI in MD :(. Because of the no more then 2 fogs/no more then 4 driving/headlamps.

Old 05-17-2007 | 01:07 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Do we know how they measure these height restrictions for driving and fog lights? Is it measured from the center of the lamp housing, or from its edge?

Old 05-17-2007 | 02:30 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
So there is no way to legally add and use the alta bar on my MINI in MD :(. Because of the no more then 2 fogs/no more then 4 driving/headlamps.
Forget the Alta bar. Go look at the outmoring brackets that bolt to the bumper through the grille. You can mount them low or high. Mine were high ... not as high as the driving lights. You will have to measure to ensure they are at least 16" off the ground (to be legal). I have no idea if they are. Other ppl have used the outmotoring brackets. Go talk to Katie. I think she has them. Maybe you can measure hers to see if they if the lights are 16" off the ground. Or just get the other brackets that mount them on the top grille like most people do ... whats the fascination with the Alta bar? Its just one mounting option.

Originally Posted by J A Blazer
Do we know how they measure these height restrictions for driving and fog lights? Is it measured from the center of the lamp housing, or from its edge?
It does not say but to be safe, I would presume it means the bottom of the lamp for the minimum distance and the top of the lamp for the maximum distance. But I have never heard of any copy getting a ruler out and actually measuring them. Its when you sell the car or get it inspected they will measure and then you can't get it inspected.

Old 05-17-2007 | 06:17 PM
Jeremy1026
|
whats the fascination with the Alta bar? Its just one mounting option.
I like the 4 light look, and the only way to do that is with Alta, 2 sets of other brakets, or an S lower grille and Palo Uber.

Old 05-18-2007 | 09:24 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Jeremy1026: Thank you for your interest in our product. You are correct that the laws vary from state to state on license plate and lamp location, amount illuminated at any time etc. Most states will allow you to mount as many as you want, but only x amount can be illuminated in any situation. Meaning 2 + high beams, or 2+ low beams, not to oncoming traffic etc. But you should be able to mount as many as possible for the look that you want. If you do choose to only do two many clients remove the center two and mount the plate in their vacancy.

I am happy to help with any questions or concerns! Let me know how I can help further. Enjoy the drive!

Old 05-18-2007 | 09:55 AM
defylogik
5th Gear
ah the law. its meant to be broken after all you pay taxes dont you!

Old 05-18-2007 | 01:10 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
But you should be able to mount as many as possible for the look that you want.
I am sorry to disagree with you here but in his state, he cannot legally do that. The law specifically states

"Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps"

Since he already has two fogs, no more fogs. It does not say anything about driving lamps. When I had my fogs mounted, there was a state inspector there and he specifically said that the car would not pass inspection (when selling).

Old 05-18-2007 | 08:44 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
So what if he has covers on them and they are for off road use only?

Old 05-18-2007 | 10:23 PM
UKCoopeR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by batrugger
So what if he has covers on them and they are for off road use only?
although i am in virginia this is want my inspection place said, only 4 lights on at a time so even two extra lights, oem or not, are illegal, cuz the mini high beams run in conjunction with the lows, they said i needed covers, the other method i came up with was un-clip the wire under the bonnet so the lights don't work and are on the car for decorative purposes, get car inspected...then...i dunno you will think of something

get it?

Old 05-19-2007 | 04:23 AM
Jeremy1026
|
I might take a trip down to the local police precindt and see if they have any advice for me, see how quick they'd be to pull me over if I had them (and used them)

Old 05-19-2007 | 11:03 AM
MiniTron
3rd Gear
I might take a trip down to the local police precindt and see if they have any advice for me, see how quick they'd be to pull me over if I had them (and used them)

Talking to your local cops is probably a good idea, though they don't always understand the laws they are supposed to be enforcing.

I live in a small town in Maine. One day one of the cops pulled me over for having my factory foglights on. She didn't give me a ticket, but I kinda wish she had. When I got to work I checked the state law, and found that she was completely out of line. I now carry a copy of the statute covering foglights in my glove box, just in case she decides to stop me again.

Old 05-19-2007 | 11:53 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by UKCoopeR
although i am in virginia this is want my inspection place said, only 4 lights on at a time so even two extra lights, oem or not, are illegal, cuz the mini high beams run in conjunction with the lows, they said i needed covers, the other method i came up with was un-clip the wire under the bonnet so the lights don't work and are on the car for decorative purposes, get car inspected...then...i dunno you will think of something
Interesting, but that would not be the case with bi-xenons ... one bulb.

Whoa ... perhaps a little reality here. If you add two driving lights, chances are nobody is going to care, unless you resell privately and have to get it inspected ... in which case you just take them off.

If you ask a question, be SURE you want to hear the answer.

See http://www.berwynheightspd.com/tinted%20windows.htm

Its a great link, local PD, about tint and lighting laws. In particular, read this quote:

22-230(c) USING LAMPS OR EQUIPMENT - A person may not use on a motor vehicle, trailer, etc., a Headlamp, Auxiliary or Fog Lamp, Rear Lamp, Signal Lamp, or Reflector which reflector or lamp is required under this title, or parts of any of the foregoing, which tend to Change the Original Design or Performance.

Although this doesn't apply to you, this does apply to all the people who try to change to Xenon lights in Halogen reflectors ... very IMO lame.

Old 05-19-2007 | 02:15 PM
UKCoopeR
5th Gear
Interesting, but that would not be the case with bi-xenons ... one bulb.
oh yeah forgot about that , me and my halogens will got sit in the corner

Old 01-15-2008 | 09:52 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Did you ever get them???

Old 01-15-2008 | 11:44 AM
MaxMini81
Wanderer
I got mine because I live on the edge of a heavily forested area with a large deer population. The police in my area tend to be fairly strict, but as long as I treat the driving lights like high beams, I can't imagine that I'd ever have any trouble with it. When I had a Wrangler, I had 7 auxillary lights. In Missouri (and probably any state) its illegal to use them on the road. However, in the right conditions and using some discression, I would think you would be okay anywhere. Officially, Missouri allows one set of auxillary lighting. So it'd be okay to have only 2 on.