Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior HowTo Fix a BullsEye Chip on Windshield..OctaneGuy DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:24 PM
MINIkitty
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is very good information to know, but check with your state. Some states make it where glass is covered by your insurance. I've gotten several rock chips and my insurance has covered getting both of them filled free of charge and with the shop I choose. I don't know if this is a South Carolina thing but it's pretty cool. The only catch is that you have to have Comprehensive coverage.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:08 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIkitty
This is very good information to know, but check with your state. Some states make it where glass is covered by your insurance. I've gotten several rock chips and my insurance has covered getting both of them filled free of charge and with the shop I choose. I don't know if this is a South Carolina thing but it's pretty cool. The only catch is that you have to have Comprehensive coverage.
I'm not sure if it is by state or by company, but I was happily surprised to find out that my company, Liberty Mutual, arranged to send out a mobil service to wherever I wanted (I had them come to my home and do it in the garage; this was on one of our other cars, not my Mini), FREE OF CHARGE! You might say nothing is free; I paid for the insurance, but it was not an extra premium, as it was part of the basic coverage.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 PM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Thanks to this thread I "fixed" two bullseyes with success. Glass company wanted $70 for one repair, the kit was worth the $13ea.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:21 AM
07BPB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill give it a go as well, Stupid trucks. Great explanation. Pretty funny seeing a syringe in the windshield I wonder if my car likes shooting it up.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:16 PM
wilson1
1st Gear
So how is the repair holding up for everyone?

Old 05-17-2008, 06:33 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks. Haha, I think they do!
Originally Posted by 07BPB
Ill give it a go as well, Stupid trucks. Great explanation. Pretty funny seeing a syringe in the windshield I wonder if my car likes shooting it up.
Permanent for me. I've got another chip to fix that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet.

Originally Posted by wilson1
So how is the repair holding up for everyone?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:03 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had one that I repaired two years ago, and it's still solid.

One minor tip is to use a razor blade to shave off flush any part that sticks up once the glue has hardened. This will avoid windshield wiper problems.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:48 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Thank you Richard for posting this ! I gave it a try today on a crack that's been in the windshield since AMVIV two years ago ! LOL ! I've been waiting and waiting for the windshield to crack vertically but it just won't budge ! Your right up on this project gave me the courage (and reminded me) to give it a try today. I wish I had taken a before and after shot be cause the end result is amazing ! Thanks Richard !

Old 08-13-2008, 08:05 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're welcome! Glad you found success in the repair. I did the second bullseye recently and was a piece of cake. Btw, love your new steering wheel, lol.

Richard

Originally Posted by pauliekeys
Thank you Richard for posting this ! I gave it a try today on a crack that's been in the windshield since AMVIV two years ago ! LOL ! I've been waiting and waiting for the windshield to crack vertically but it just won't budge ! Your right up on this project gave me the courage (and reminded me) to give it a try today. I wish I had taken a before and after shot be cause the end result is amazing ! Thanks Richard !

Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Thanks Richard ! My wife thinks I'm a loon ! Funny story about the chip repair. The wife and I go out for dinner last night and when we got in the car I asked her if she noticed anything different. I followed that by saying "you'll never guess it's just to small. She came back with " Oh, you mean that you got a new windshield and didn't tell me ? LOL ! It made me LOL ! I had to point out the repair and then and only then did she believe me that I didn't replace the windshield ! I've made her VERY jumpy from all the mods over the last year................... or (two)

Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
You're welcome! Glad you found success in the repair. I did the second bullseye recently and was a piece of cake. Btw, love your new steering wheel, lol.

Richard

Old 09-12-2008, 03:31 PM
kenatminimania
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the 'tricks' I've seen the pro's use is to heat the area from inside the cabin with a lighter after the syringe is in place. The heat expands the volume of the air, making it easier to 'suck' out - allowing for more complete transfer of the resin into the void.

Ken

edit: Yes, I have tried this and it worked well for me.