Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior New seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:38 AM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New seats

I finally got both of my Recaro SRD's at my house and am going to install them this weekend. The only problem is that I can't find any information on the resistors that I should put in the airbag sensor. That is all I know. But what kind of resistor and where does it go. Any info will be great.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

Old 06-02-2007, 06:10 AM
shooler
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed my Sparco Modenas in my car. The DIY said to use a 4 ohm resistor installed into the yellow airbag plug under the seat. I did this and still get the airbag light.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:49 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
courtesy of Randy Webb...and his forum on his web page.

the pics won't load, but if you go to this link, they will...

http://store.webbmotorsports.com/for...wtopic.php?t=9

Originally Posted by RandyBMC
I know that some of you have issues with the Sport seats, and others are interested in putting in a different seat altogether for aesthetic reasons.

Here is the install on the driver side seat. It is important to note that with this modification, you will lose your seat installed airbag - a potential safety implication.

Tools required:

#30 torx
#50 torx
seat hardware kit or an Ace close by
13mm socket
4 ohm resistor and small gauge wire
soldering gun
electrical tape
zip ties

Time required:

About 45 minutes

1. Turn the key off and remove it from the car. You don't want the seat airbag going off, and as long as the car is off, it won't.

2. Slide the seat completely rearward.

[img]/howto/images/fcb3969c.jpg[/img]

3. Remove the two forward #30 torx bolts, one on each side.

[img]/howto/images/fcb395ca.jpg[/img]

4. Slide the seat all the way forward.

5. Remove the two rear #30 torx bolts, one on each side.

[img]/howto/images/fcb394e7.jpg[/img]

6. There are three wire bundles under the seat. The yellow is for the airbag, and the other two are for the seatbelt. These have a quick-release tab that is pushed, and then the bundles will pull apart. The best access to these is from the front.

[img]/howto/images/fcb3942a.jpg[/img]

7. The yellow bundle left in the car is a two female connector. To prevent the airbag light from coming on, you can trick the system. Using a 4 ohm resistor (available at any Radio Shack), create a jumper wire with two males and the resistor in the thin gauge wire. It is very important to use a soldering gun so as not to create any more resistance than the resistor itself creates. Plug the two males into the females in the car.

[img]/howto/images/fcb3889d.jpg[/img]

Note: You can also sign a waiver with your BMW dealer and have the driver side seat airbag removed from the loop. They will have you sign it, the dealer will send it to BMW, and BMW will send a specific access code for the dealer to use to disable the light.

Here's what the car looks like once you have the seat out:

[img]/howto/images/fcb392f8.jpg[/img]

The seat we used for this install was the Sparco. It is a very nice seat, that still allows access to the rear seat, along with full rake and slider adjustments.

[img]/howto/images/fcb397b5.jpg[/img]

Here's the stock seat in comparison to the Sparco:

[img]/howto/images/fcb391e3.jpg[/img]

8. The Sparco comes with a rail system. You may or may not have to buy your own hardware, depending on the package you receive. This set did not include hardware, so we used an assortment of 8mm (shaft -13mm head) bolts in both hex head and allens. Here is the hardware the seat came with:

[img]/howto/images/fcb38f12.jpg[/img]

You will be installing the rails into four holes already part of the seat on the bottom.

[img]/howto/images/fcb39006.jpg[/img]

It will take some sliding to reach the mounting holes on the front and rear. Just start these bolts, as you will want some play when mounting them to the base.

[img]/howto/images/fcb38dc8.jpg[/img]

9. Once you have all four in, mount the rails to the base.

[img]/howto/images/fcb38d18.jpg[/img]

It will take some more sliding - watch your fingers!

[img]/howto/images/fcb38ca2.jpg[/img]

Once you have all of the bolts in, line the base up with the rails so that they slide relatively freely.

10. Now tighten everything. You can also install the handle for fore and aft adjustment - it just pushes into place and is held with spring tensioners. Make sure the angle is slightly down so there is room to pull it up without the seat bottom interfering (it is angled slightly from the factory).

[img]/howto/images/fcb38ba3.jpg[/img]

11. Remove the seatbelt anchor from the factory seat using a #50 torx.

[img]/howto/images/fcb38a90.jpg[/img]

[img]/howto/images/fcb389ae.jpg[/img]

12. You will also need to fish the two seatbelt wires out from under the seat. Cut the factory zip ties that hold the harnesses in place. You may need to remove the plastic side piece to get the harnesses all the way out - it just pops off and on.

13. Install the seatbelt anchor on the new seat - there is a provision for it on the base. The anchor itself is pushed onto an exact fit bushing (make sure the paint is scraped off before pushing the anchor onto the base, or it won't go on). You will need to use an 8mm (13mm head) hex with a washer large enough to prevent the anchor from being able to move. Once you have it attached, thread the wire bundles back under the seat and zip tie them into place on the base.

[img]/howto/images/fcb3882e.jpg[/img]

14. Install the seat into the car. You will need slightly shorter 13mm head hex bolts.

15. Reattach the wiring harnesses for the seat belt by simply pushing them together.

You now have a comfy seat of your own choosing!

[img]/howto/images/fcb386a3.jpg[/img]

If you turned the car on at any point before you finished, the airbag light will be on and not go out. Disconnect the battery for 20 minutes or so, and the light should go off.

Remember that this will disable your side airbag. Webb Motorsports can take no responsibility for any consequences of this or any other how-to.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Randy
720-841-1002
randy@webbmotorsports.com

Old 06-02-2007, 12:40 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Thanks for the link indigo. This should be very helpful.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:44 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
you're welcome

Old 06-04-2007, 02:33 PM
rutherfong
1st Gear
passenger seat weight sensor, airbag sensor issue?

I noticed that you will probably be installing an aftermarket passenger seat. I have a 2006 mcs. How would the passenger seat airbag weight sensor, etc. be dealt with/defeated? Has anyone done this yet?

Old 06-05-2007, 01:15 AM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
I'm pretty sure you have to wire in a resistor to trick the system like in the write up above.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 AM
MiniChauffeur
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rutherfong
I noticed that you will probably be installing an aftermarket passenger seat. I have a 2006 mcs. How would the passenger seat airbag weight sensor, etc. be dealt with/defeated? Has anyone done this yet?

The weight sensor is a plastic plate with sensors in it. You could take it out of your old seat, connect it to harness, and tape it under a new seat.

The drawback is the passanger airbag will not function.