Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Question on factory driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:30 PM
littlecS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on factory driving lights

As you can see from the subject and my sig, I have the factory driving lights that come on with a switch that are hooked up to my high beams. Here is my problem: one of the bulbs burned out and I wanted to know if I have to replace the entire light, fixture and all, or is there a way to open it up and just replace the bulb itself. There are a couple screws on the outside of the fixture, but I don't have enough experience with Minis to know for sure if it can be done.
Thanks people!
Mike

Old 06-07-2007, 08:52 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They're standard H3 55-Watt bulbs, and very easy to replace. Remove the screw at the bottom of the chrome trim ring. Pull out from the bottom to remove the ring. The bulb has two wires permanently attached to it - the positive wire has a pull-apart electrical connection, and the ground wire is attached via a screw to the bulb housing.

Remove the old bulb, install the new one, and reverse the steps to re-assemble everything. Be sure to clean the new bulb before you install it, to remove any fingerprints, oil or dirt.

Unless you buy the replacement bulb from MINI, you might consider replacing *both* bulbs to make sure the colour matches. I replaced both of mine with Hoen bulbs that match the HID lamps on my car just about perfectly.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; 06-07-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:54 PM
littlecS
3rd Gear
Thats as close to a perfect answer as I was looking for!
The only way it could have been 100% is if you came and installed it for me

Old 06-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Green Goblin
3rd Gear
I want (Driving Lights) for my MCS, ok good then I call the dealer Momentum Mini they say $300 for the lights and I say not bad then I ask how much would it be totaled with labour? they say bout $970.00 is this true?

Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by littlecS
Thats as close to a perfect answer as I was looking for!
The only way it could have been 100% is if you came and installed it for me

Has he knocked on your door yet? Scott posts helpful information regularly, but I'm interested in his level of customer service and MINI-side manner

Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 PM
chakaluka
Banned
It is true, but it is also extortion.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:15 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
That seems a little high, but the wiring harness for the factory driving lights snakes all over the front end of the car, so it's not a quick or easy installation. You can download the installation instructions if you're mechanically inclined.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:18 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by tigwantstoplay

Has he knocked on your door yet? Scott posts helpful information regularly, but I'm interested in his level of customer service and MINI-side manner
LOL - thanks! If you're ever in the Norfolk area and want a pulley installed, swing on by - I think I've installed seven of them so far. I still haven't put one on my own car yet, but that's an autocross class issue.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Ditto

Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
That seems a little high, but the wiring harness for the factory driving lights snakes all over the front end of the car, so it's not a quick or easy installation. You can download the installation instructions if you're mechanically inclined.
Yep - the factory harness calls for getting to the back of the radio which can be a pain, and getting to the black box in the pass' footwell, also a pain the first time you do it. It runs up the 'by the book' labor hours fast...

The local dealer was refering customers to a guy in town who did these in his garage for a 6-pack...... but he's moved on....

btw - download instructions - factory instructions - from MiniMania.com. They have the factory instructions for all the factory access' .... for some strange reason they don't put the instructions in the box, and often the dealers don't give the instructions unless you ask for them cuz they must print them out..... Anything to save a buck...

Last edited by Capt_bj; 06-08-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:00 PM
littlecS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
LOL - thanks! If you're ever in the Norfolk area and want a pulley installed, swing on by - I think I've installed seven of them so far. I still haven't put one on my own car yet, but that's an autocross class issue.
No knock on the door yet. But then again, it could take quite a while from Virginia! Norfolk....is that anywhere near Sufolk?

Old 06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
schreyerplace
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
Yep - the factory harness calls for getting to the back of the radio which can be a pain, and getting to the black box in the pass' footwell, also a pain the first time you do it. It runs up the 'by the book' labor hours fast...
Yeah tell me about getting to the BCM. That was the hardest part of the install I did on my 2006 MCS over the weekend.