Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Factory Bonnet Stripe Install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007 | 07:29 AM
Spydaz
|
1st Gear
Factory Bonnet Stripe Install?

Hey guys, How do i apply the factory bonnet stipes? I thought maybe some soap and water, then squeege?

Any one have any pictures on where the stripes should be placed?
All help is appreciated!

Old 06-08-2007 | 07:37 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I did aftermarket ones dry using this technique:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ht=Boot+stripe

I've done boot and bonnet stripes in this fashion and thay look great. I personally think that of you measure carefully and secure the stripes with masking tape, then work slowly and carefully that you don't need the wet technique for the stripes. They're so large that I actually think you're MORE at risk to twist or bend them slightly if you try to use a wet technique, but that might just be me. All of the stripes I've done using the above technique were completely straight and bubble-free after 2-3 days - any tiny bubbles you might get will shrink out when the stripes are left in the sun.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

Last edited by ImagoX; 06-08-2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-08-2007 | 08:57 AM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
I have done several using the wet technique. Make up a batch of water and a little (5 drops of soap, such as Dove, etc) per pint of water. Spray the car and the back of the stripes. Makes moving and relocating very easy.

Once you have the stripes in the position that you want, squeege the top half and then the bottom half. Once you squeege the top half, it will hold the stripes.

I suggest wrapping the stripes over the back of the bonnet and also tuck it into the space between the grill and bonnet.

If you are going to do the boot, rather than try to work around the name (if you are going to cut around the name), I have laid it over and then come back and cut with a straight edge.

Last edited by Red Ryder; 06-08-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-08-2007 | 09:04 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
I did mine dry as well. Very easy and straightforward, just measure very carefully and make sure you have them taped on right now you want them before you start.

As far as boot stripes go, I took the badge off and put a new one on (AC stripes come with the new badge) when i did mine.

Old 06-08-2007 | 09:10 AM
Spydaz
|
1st Gear
Thanks guys. I think i will try the dry technique. These are OEM bonnet stripes not aftermarket. So there is a little left over on the top of the stripe i guess for moving around.

Anyone have a picture of the stripes on there car so i can get a good idea of how they look?

Old 06-08-2007 | 09:59 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
These are dealer-installed stripes that came on the car when I bought it. Use the washer nozzles and the hood scoop )if you have one) as symetrical reference points. Note that the stripes do NOT wrap around the front or back of the bonnet with the OEM stripes.

The best advice I can give is park the car on a flat, level surface, tape them down to the bonnet while still on the backing, measuring against points like the washer nozzles at least three times. Then WALK AWAY for like 10-15 minutes and look at something else - often looking at them with a fresh eye will show you if you're off anywhere. Measure one last time just to be sure before starting the actual squeegeeing process.

Let me know if you need any other photos.

Old 06-08-2007 | 10:51 AM
Spydaz
|
1st Gear
Well just did it dry, Came out Awesome! Thanks for the pics Imagox. Thanks for all the help guys, love this board!

Ya know the drivers side stripe came out the same way as on your car imagox, its closer to the chrome grille piece on the bottom than the passenger side bottom. Weird....

Old 06-08-2007 | 10:56 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Pics! Pics!