Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Whalen Knob, The easiest mod for your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007 | 10:52 AM
ignote
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wotagame
$150 for a ****? You guys must have more money than sense...

Old 08-08-2007 | 12:21 PM
wotagame
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
As well as this **** is made, there's no doubt I'll own IT longer than I own my MINI !

Makes it well worth the $150, in my book.
I'm sure it will make a great family heirloom...

Old 08-08-2007 | 12:31 PM
wotagame
1st Gear
As evidenced by this thread apparently you don't have to have any sense to have money.

Old 08-08-2007 | 12:52 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
I'm sure it will make a great family heirloom...
It'll make a nice addition to the CR's MINI's replacement.

And do you have any positive contributions to this thread ? Or do you just come around to make poor attempts at insults ?

Old 08-08-2007 | 01:19 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
It'll make a nice addition to the CR's MINI's replacement.

And do you have any positive contributions to this thread ? Or do you just come around to make poor attempts at insults ?

Blow it off, one person can rain on a parade, but hey, we all love our WSM's, so ignore it. If you have the means, buy it, I plan on making it a collector's item for myself as well, and I will have 3 to choose from, to suit my mood.

Old 08-08-2007 | 01:23 PM
wotagame
1st Gear
Yes.

These are very nice heirloom quality shift ***** for only $150...

And I think they were above average attempts thank you very much.

Old 08-08-2007 | 01:27 PM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
I placed my order yesterday. I don't know about the R50 or R53, but the stock **** on my R56 totally blows. When I drive I nearly always have my hand on the shift ****. I think I deserve to have something that feels good in my hand; looking great is just a big-time perk.

I don't completely understand the attitude in this thread. I see people spending crazy money on other mods... to each their own IMVHO. PEACE.

Old 08-08-2007 | 01:28 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
He's just jealous because he can't find a Whalen copy for $10 and use his own labor to make it fit like he did with his $309 exhaust.

Not that I have anything against doing this--I love a deal and the uniqueness of fitting something that isn't commonly done but I don't go around insulting people because they can afford not to!

But of course, for those than can afford this "luxury", they also realize the value that a single "shift ****" actually satisfies the urge for a short shift kit, a custom ****, as well as an emergency self defense weapon all in a single mod. If you can't understand the value in this, then you're lacking more than just "cents."

Richard

Originally Posted by 03Indigo
Blow it off, one person can rain on a parade, but hey, we all love our WSM's, so ignore it. If you have the means, buy it, I plan on making it a collector's item for myself as well, and I will have 3 to choose from, to suit my mood.

Old 08-08-2007 | 02:36 PM
wotagame
1st Gear
Seems we are talking about shift ***** and I think that $150 for one is a bit steep. That is all that I have said. I should be able to express my opinion on this board.

Octaneboy, I am sorry that you are too mechancially inept to install your own exhaust, and if you want to pay out the wazoo for one that is certainly your prerogative.

Mine looks/works/sounds great and I have had many complements on it.

Old 08-08-2007 | 02:38 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
You can state your opinion without being insulting to the people you are talking to.

"More money than sense" and "I'm sorry that you are too mechanically inept" are not really good ways to win friends and influence people. All it'll get you here is reported for site conduct violation.

Old 08-08-2007 | 02:40 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Octaneboy, I am sorry that you are too mechancially inept to install your own exhaust, and if you want to pay out the wazoo for one that is certainly your prerogative.

Dude, you have a lot to learn here. Richard, OctaneGuy, has done more "homegrown" engineering than most on this board.

If you saw a WSM **** for yourself, you would see that the machining on the attachment mechanism is top notch, and locks into place, with a collar. No screw in mechanism here.

You did not "just" say that the pirce was high, you were rude in your opinions. Yes, you are entitled to them on this board, it is a free country, but you bash one of the best vendors with one of the most creative custom products out there, just be prepared to defend yourself against Whalen's HUGE following.

Old 08-08-2007 | 03:04 PM
wotagame
1st Gear
For $150 it should jump out of the box and install itself. You guys need to lighten up. Its just a shift **** for crying out loud.

As for "huge followings" are you familiar with lemmings?

Old 08-08-2007 | 03:08 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
very familiar with lemmings, but each **** is custom made, with a custom graphic. very rarely are 2 made to look alike, so what is lemming about it?

For a new guy, you are really shaking the boat, aren't you? Way to get off to a good start.

Hope you are happy with your stuff, post up some pics of your car, your mods, and let us comment on those, fair is fair!!!

Old 08-08-2007 | 03:11 PM
blainelv
4th Gear
Wotagame, have you ever driven a MINI with a Whalen? At first I was a little skeptical about spending the cash for one. Now that I have mine there is no way I'd go back to stock. If you stop and think about the workmanship and quality of the **** the price is not so much.

Old 08-08-2007 | 03:27 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
If I were to express my opinion about you right now, I would probably get a slap on the wrist. So no, WE are not free to express our opinions when it attacks another member or group of members.

Calling me mechanically inept?? Haha you know so little about what you talk about. How can any of us take you seriously? You mentioned you had a "kiddo" in one of your posts. If you're a dad, I feel very sorry for your offspring.

That's about as personal as I'm going to get with you. Have a nice day.

Richard

Seems we are talking about shift ***** and I think that $150 for one is a bit steep. That is all that I have said. I should be able to express my opinion on this board.

Mine looks/works/sounds great and I have had many complements on it.

Old 08-08-2007 | 03:52 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
It's all good. This poster with very little to offer from such a large oriface has been reported several times over for his rude and insulting posts.

Old 08-08-2007 | 04:09 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
An infraction has been issued to wotagame for lack of respect to other members of the site. I'm leaving the posts for now since many of you have respectfully attempted to self-moderate the thread. Thanks for your reported posts on this matter.

Mark

Old 08-08-2007 | 04:17 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Thanks Mark

Old 08-08-2007 | 05:17 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Just a little note about Whalen *****.

Not only is a Whalen **** an easy mod for your MINI,
It's both functional and aesthetically pleasing.

More like functional art if you can come up with a nice custom design (adds to the cost).

Doug is really good to work with and open to any ideas. The quality of his work is excellent and there are enough ***** out there already to appreciate what is possible. If you can see one in person to test drive a MINI with it, that would be best- see for yourself.

So drop those hints to friends and family around those gift giving times that a Whalen shift machine might be a really nice idea. Then you don't have to budget for one.

Old 08-08-2007 | 07:13 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Whalen ***** Rock.

Let's hear votes for turning one into a "Whalen Rectal Probe" for use on mean people with foul manners.

Old 08-08-2007 | 08:19 PM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Whalen ***** Rock.

Let's hear votes for turning one into a "Whalen Rectal Probe" for use on mean people with foul manners.
Nah. That would be a shitty way of treating a fine piece of craftsmanship.

My vote is for using a crappy OEM ****, it is more fitting to the task.

Old 08-08-2007 | 08:49 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Merciful Heavens I've lusted after THE **** for the past few years. Never got one for my 05 S. Now, I'm with a MCa, and can't get THE ****.

My son, who was in a machinist's course, tried to get me to get THE ****, as he knew the work involved. I was too cheap back then

Craftsmanship is a premium in the USA. What's $$$$$$$ given beauty?

Go, Doug

Old 08-09-2007 | 02:34 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
You CAN get one. Just give Doug a few weeks or couple months to correct a fit problem he had making the first few ***** for automatics. He's going to work on it when he returns from MITM.

Old 08-09-2007 | 09:09 AM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
You CAN get one. Just give Doug a few weeks or couple months to correct a fit problem he had making the first few ***** for automatics. He's going to work on it when he returns from MITM.

Thanks for this heads-up I will keep my eyes open for this little beauty.

Old 08-09-2007 | 11:56 PM
techguru
|
1st Gear
Wow, did the thread I started get taken the wrong direction or what?

If somebody has a problem with the $150 price point for a brand new WSM, (because they can't afford it or don't believe it's worth it), then all I say is: Wait and watch the NAM Marketplace like I did.

It'll take some time for it to turn up because you will find people don't want to get rid of them. That is until they buy another one.

Otherwise to all you WSM Haters out there, do what I do when I find a thread where I think the people are crazy: go to a different thread where they are talking about something you do agree with. It's more productive for you and for everyone else.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Whalen Knob, The easiest mod for your MINI