Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Whalen Knob, The easiest mod for your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007 | 11:25 PM
techguru
|
1st Gear
Whalen ****, The easiest mod for your MINI

So I received my new (but semi-used) Whalen Shift Machine in the mail today. It came in a small little box, via UPS. However the box was pretty darn heavy for it's size.

Anyway, I opened it up removed the bubblewrap and there it was, a beautiful Brushed MiniCircle Whalen Shift ****.

http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com/in...&products_id=1

I had it delivered to work so that I knew somebody would be there to sign for it.

Anyway long story short. At lunch I went out and installed it. It was the easiest install I have done to date on my little mini. I put my transmission into second gear and firmly pulled up on the stock shift ****. It popped right off.

I then just followed the easy to follow install instructions. Line up the pin, retract the retention sleeve, slide down to into place, and release the retention sleeve. bam. Install took less than a minute.

Heck a sticker takes longer for me to install. Especially if I have to match the sticker on the other side of the car.

The size is a smaller diameter than the stock, so that will take some time for me to get used to, but the shifts feel much smoother and quicker.
The one issue I found with the whalen is that, because it is a piece of solid stainless steel, it gets nice and warm when sitting out in the "warm" california weather. I guess a hot **** will get me to shift properly and quickly.

Attached Thumbnails Whalen Knob, The easiest mod for your MINI-dsc00527.jpg   Whalen Knob, The easiest mod for your MINI-dsc00530.jpg   Whalen Knob, The easiest mod for your MINI-dsc00532.jpg  

Last edited by techguru; 06-22-2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added photos.
Old 06-22-2007 | 12:47 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
The Whalen ***** for the R50 or R53 are so much easier to install.
The R56 ***** aren't. Too bad.

Whalen ***** rule!

Every gear is a good gear.

Old 06-22-2007 | 04:07 AM
Jeremy1026
And, they fit CVTs! 1st CVT Whalen User

Old 06-22-2007 | 04:33 AM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
Some day all cars will have Whalen Shift Machines and Doug will be rich beyond his wildest dreams!!

Old 06-22-2007 | 03:53 PM
Nuff
4th Gear
Originally Posted by techguru
The one issue I found with the whalen is that, because it is a piece of solid stainless steel, it gets nice and warm when sitting out in the "warm" california weather. I guess a hot **** will get me to shift properly and quickly.
Here's what I use:

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...***-cover.html

Don't use it THAT often, but when the car is sitting out in the sun ....

Old 06-22-2007 | 04:39 PM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Silverbullit
Some day all cars will have Whalen Shift Machines and Doug will be rich beyond his wildest dreams!!
Thanks! Now I have something to live for.

Old 06-22-2007 | 04:52 PM
minjae
6th Gear
i really want a whalen **** but it's so expensive. gotta save up them greens.

Old 06-22-2007 | 06:06 PM
techguru
|
1st Gear
Believe me. I absolutely love this thing. Being an engineer, I am very impressed with it. The craftsmanship of it is just amazing. The feel awesome.

I had n1ftyneil drive my car today and he was blown away on how much better it felt. He didn't think it would make such a huge improvement.

Here's what I use:

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...***-cover.html

Don't use it THAT often, but when the car is sitting out in the sun ....
Thanks Nuff, I'll be sure to pick one of those up. It's pretty cool.

I was on my way to work today and the sun was hitting it a really cool angle so I had to pull over and take some pictures of it. Check'em out up top.

Last edited by techguru; 06-22-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2007 | 06:11 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minjae
i really want a whalen **** but it's so expensive. gotta save up them greens.
Shhhh...don't tell Doug, but I would have paid TWICE as much for my Whalen. It's worth every single penny, and then some.

Old 06-22-2007 | 06:34 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Ohh, then I have an idea. Why not buy another one for minjae, and that way you will have paid TWICE! And even better it would be a two for one deal since you would both have Whalens yet you paid only one big sum.

Originally Posted by tigwantstoplay
Shhhh...don't tell Doug, but I would have paid TWICE as much for my Whalen. It's worth every single penny, and then some.

Old 06-22-2007 | 06:48 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Glad it got there fine and yuo are happy with the ****. That **** was one the very firest mods I did but replaced it for a custom graphic, also from Doug.

Use it well, thanks again.

Old 06-22-2007 | 07:20 PM
minjae
6th Gear
that sounds GREAT. just hit me up when you've bought one for me.
maybe ill get one within the month. (car payment coming up. gonna take a big chunk out of my wallet as always..)

Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Ohh, then I have an idea. Why not buy another one for minjae, and that way you will have paid TWICE! And even better it would be a two for one deal since you would both have Whalens yet you paid only one big sum.

Old 06-22-2007 | 07:34 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
$150 for a ball?!

Zip

Old 06-22-2007 | 07:38 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
$150 for a ball?!

Zip
It's not just any old "ball". It's a WHALEN. A one of a kind work of art. A beautiful masterpeace...to be admired, adored, and oggled. A shiny ball that fits perfectly into the hand - to be stroked, and carassed, and polished.......wait, this is moving beyond NAM PG ratings.

Old 06-22-2007 | 08:40 PM
TwistySister
4th Gear
I put my new Polished Checkered Whalen Shift Machine on this past sunday evening. Now I can't stay out of my car! I should be working, I'm motoring instead. I enjoyed it on the drive to Milwaukee on Monday, mostly highway. Wednesday and Thusday in town - wow, what a difference! So smooth. And, OMG could it look any better! Thanks again Doug.

Old 08-06-2007 | 11:18 AM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Originally Posted by tigwantstoplay
It's not just any old "ball". It's a WHALEN. A one of a kind work of art. A beautiful masterpeace...to be admired, adored, and oggled. A shiny ball that fits perfectly into the hand - to be stroked, and carassed, and polished.......wait, this is moving beyond NAM PG ratings.
Hey Tigs! So you highly recommend the Whalen? After 200 miles in the twisties (as you know I just picked it up Saturday) I've already come to the conclusion that the OEM **** on my R56 totally sucks... with that depression and ridges it feels aweful in my hand and it is too d@mn big.

Thoughts?

Old 08-06-2007 | 11:33 AM
SDMike
5th Gear
Originally Posted by unixgal
with that depression and ridges it feels aweful in my hand and it is too d@mn big.

Thoughts?

Make your hands bigger?

Honestly, the Whalens, and Robin Cassidy's shift ***** are both beautiful pieces. I see sooo many people doing exterior mods... that you really can't fully appreciate as the driver... yet one of the easiest, most tactile, and beautiful mods is seldom done.

Old 08-06-2007 | 04:08 PM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Originally Posted by SDMike
Make your hands bigger?

Honestly, the Whalens, and Robin Cassidy's shift ***** are both beautiful pieces. I see sooo many people doing exterior mods... that you really can't fully appreciate as the driver... yet one of the easiest, most tactile, and beautiful mods is seldom done.
If only people could grow/shrink parts of their body on demand!

I just don't like the way Sam's **** feels in my hand.

Robin's ***** are very cool, but given that I have the brushed aluminum surface, a brushed Whalen sounds like it would look awesome.

Old 08-06-2007 | 04:19 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Whalen ***** are great, but the easiest mod is a shorty antenna.

Old 08-06-2007 | 10:09 PM
techguru
|
1st Gear
After having my whalen on for about 1k miles now, all I can say is that it is as great now as it was when I first put it on. One of the best purchases I made for my car, without a doubt. Looks awesome, feels even better.

Old 08-06-2007 | 10:21 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by unixgal
Hey Tigs! So you highly recommend the Whalen? After 200 miles in the twisties (as you know I just picked it up Saturday) I've already come to the conclusion that the OEM **** on my R56 totally sucks... with that depression and ridges it feels aweful in my hand and it is too d@mn big.

Thoughts?
BUY A WHALEN

Not only does it fit my hand just right, but it's heavy enough that it makes the shift throws smoother. I swear....I got better/faster shifts after installation. I'm not sure what "magic" Doug builds into his product...but it's incredible! I promise, you won't be disappointed.

WHALEN RULES!!!

It's hard to see, but I went with the MINI wings logo, the shift pattern, and Doug engraved LilTiger's name on the bottom. It's stunning.

Word of caution - it gets H.O.T. in the sun. Literally so hot that it burns to try to touch it. HOOOOOOT!!!!!! I've started carrying a little sock in my door compartment. I keep that a secret though...I don't want to have to explain why I carry a happy sock for my ****.

Old 08-08-2007 | 07:28 AM
wotagame
1st Gear
$150 for a ****? You guys must have more money than sense...

Old 08-08-2007 | 08:34 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Well you do have to have some money before you can have any cents.

Originally Posted by wotagame

Old 08-08-2007 | 08:44 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by wotagame
As well as this **** is made, there's no doubt I'll own IT longer than I own my MINI !

Makes it well worth the $150, in my book.

Old 08-08-2007 | 10:45 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
as of tomorrow, I will own 3 of them

I like the YEEE-HAA one, that is awesome!!!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Whalen Knob, The easiest mod for your MINI