Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior New Flag Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003 | 08:37 PM
SkAlex
|
4th Gear
I've been looking around for some interesting...but not too over-the-top flags for my roof. I was thinking of some combination of the US and UK flag, or maybe a US flag with electric blue in place of the navy? Whatcha think of the design below?

Old 06-01-2003 | 08:41 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Sorry, since you asked for opinions...

A flag is a flag and shouldn't be messed with.

I've seen flags combined into one for special countries, but something about what you've done really seems to be wrong.

Old 06-01-2003 | 08:54 PM
Hank
4th Gear
I agree with dominicminicoopers, country flag design should not be messed with. Pick a country and stick with it.

Old 06-01-2003 | 09:02 PM
SkAlex
|
4th Gear
What about the electric blue US flag?

Old 06-01-2003 | 09:29 PM
truckeecollins
3rd Gear
My daughter goes to Hawaii Pacific University and we are considering retiring in Hawaii.We were talking before watching the Italian Job that a neat roof flag would be a Hawaiian Flag which is kind of a combination of a British and American Flag. You MINI owners in Hawaii should consider it.
Maholo

Old 06-01-2003 | 09:37 PM
SCCA
3rd Gear
i also agree...don't mess with flags,especially old glory..you crazy or just stupid?

Old 06-02-2003 | 06:50 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
How about your surname's coat of arms? Those of western european decent can generally find something available from Spain, UK, France, etc. It would be a very individual, and unique look.

Old 06-02-2003 | 07:06 AM
Yank
3rd Gear
SkAlex...the first design with the UJ on the stripes is actually an historic flag called the Grand Union flag and was used briefly before the more common flag with the 13 stars in a circle...

Old 06-02-2003 | 02:01 PM
Intimidator
Neutral
>>Sorry, since you asked for opinions...
>>
>>A flag is a flag and shouldn't be messed with.
>>
>>I've seen flags combined into one for special countries, but something about what you've done really seems to be wrong.

That flag is not being messed with. If you studied your US history, the Union Jack and the American stripe is really the first official flag of the United States. If I can get the right file format, I'll have that flag on my car in a heart beat.

Old 06-03-2003 | 03:33 AM
Veak
2nd Gear
>>SkAlex...the first design with the UJ on the stripes is actually an historic flag called the Grand Union flag and was used briefly before the more common flag with the 13 stars in a circle...

Yep, you stumbled upon the Grand Union Flag... THAT would be a great roof decal - I'm not British enought to justify the UJ decal, but the Grand Union would be a great comprimise - and a great conversation piece. Imagine how many times you'd have to explain the history of that one... A friend of mine wanted to hang a flag outside his house (post 911) but wanted to be a bit different: he hung The Grand Union Flag...he got a lot of questions - but in then end everyone in the neighborhood loved it once they heard it pre-dates good old Betsy Ross's 13 star flag.

Cooper Flags are you listening?

Old 06-03-2003 | 04:11 AM
Kohu'ulaMINI
5th Gear
> a Hawaiian Flag which is kind of a combination of a British and American Flag. You MINI owners in Hawaii should consider it.
>

Let me tell ya, I have been considering it way before taking delivary of our MINI! I thought the same thing how it looks like the combination of both flags and it would be different from anything currently available.

SkAlex, you might want to try the Hawaiian flag if you're looking for the UJ/American flag combo. I will probably have the Hawaiian flag roof decal on some day to represent our home state

Old 06-03-2003 | 04:20 AM
Kohu'ulaMINI
5th Gear
Here's a small decal of the Hawaiian state flag:

Old 06-03-2003 | 04:49 AM
OpusMini
4th Gear
I've been going back and forth on the roof flag. I definitely want one. Since I have a sunroof, I think I just get might get one of each of the removable ones.

My MCS will be Indi Blue so I am leaning towards a broad red racing stripe flanked by two thin white stripes. Similar to Michael Caine's Mini in the last Austin Powers movie. It's more or less neutral.

I do like the Grand Union flag. I knew it was an early flag but I couldn't think of the name. I found this on its history -- Grand Union or Cambridge flag

Old 06-03-2003 | 04:54 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
I agree. Don't even think about it. :evil:

Old 06-03-2003 | 08:00 AM
Veak
2nd Gear
>>
>>
>>I agree. Don't even think about it. :evil:

I think some of you guys are missing the point: it is a real flag! In fact it is a great piece of our joint British - American heritage... relax.

Old 06-05-2003 | 01:33 AM
pooky13
4th Gear
How's about your personal zodiac sign...if your into that kinda thing?

What do you guys think?

Old 06-05-2003 | 01:38 AM
rfibanez
Banned
What about a picture of yourself? could that be put on your roof?

Old 06-05-2003 | 01:52 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear

>>That flag is not being messed with.

Begging your pardon, but the guy himself said he intentionally mixed the American flag with the UJ flag. He may have hit upon an old design by accident, but that clearly wasn't his purpose.

>> If you studied your US history, the Union Jack and the American stripe is really the first official flag of the United States.

Actually, you'd better do your homework. check out

http://www.usflag.org/the.13.star.flag.html
http://www.va.gov/pubaff/celebAm/Flag.htm

You'll see the first official US flag was the one with 13 stars. The one with the UJ is called the Continental Army flag. Clearly not the US flag. And clearly not the first official US flag.

>>If I can get the right file format, I'll have that flag on my car in a heart beat.

To each his own. That's what makes the MINI so special.

Old 06-09-2003 | 08:31 AM
Intimidator
Neutral
>>
>>>>That flag is not being messed with.
>>
>>Begging your pardon, but the guy himself said he intentionally mixed the American flag with the UJ flag. He may have hit upon an old design by accident, but that clearly wasn't his purpose.
>>
>>>> If you studied your US history, the Union Jack and the American stripe is really the first official flag of the United States.
>>
>>Actually, you'd better do your homework. check out

>>You'll see the first official US flag was the one with 13 stars. The one with the UJ is called the Continental Army flag. Clearly not the US flag. And clearly not the first official US flag.
>>
>>>>If I can get the right file format, I'll have that flag on my car in a heart beat.
>>
>>To each his own. That's what makes the MINI so special.

I'd like to correct myself. The Grand Union Flag is the first unofficial Flag of the US. But this is the Flag that our founder found the liking so much that he flew the flag across the nation on Independence Day, July 4th 1776. Although it's not the first official flag, the Grand Union Flag plays a key role in forming the flags that came after.

Old 06-09-2003 | 02:01 PM
orbhot
6th Gear
I hate to admit it because the colors are ugly, but I've always thought a Brit flag with colors of the German flag would be the appropriate "combination."

Old 06-09-2003 | 02:50 PM
emagineer
2nd Gear
Shortly before reading this post I was looking at various US and UK flags. This one showed up and think the history is interesting (from WWII)Had notr known of or seen this flag before.

http://www.flag-net.com/display_product.asp?id=1283

USA-UK Coalition Flag

A unique flag reflecting the strong bond between the governments, people & armed forces of the USA and UK, most especially during GWII.

Old 06-09-2003 | 09:13 PM
rfibanez
Banned
Forget the flag look at the girl holding the flag!

But no really I think its a really cool flag with the half americans half uk flag.