Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior radar detector hardwire

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 07:24 PM
Bustov
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I haven't read of anyone tapping into the Autodimming Mirror. This will give you swiitched power unlike tapping into the clock. Works great, use the green wire. I would imagine that the wiring loom is in each Mini and should be available for those who have standard mirror.

Old 06-05-2003, 08:00 PM
rnelsonee
Neutral
Yeah, I was just looking into this. I got my MCS last week, and want to mount a Bel detector on the visor. How do you get the mirror off? I heard you just turn in clockwise... my mirror just turned around! Should I be grabbing the mirror's mount to the headliner? I figure once I get to the wires I should be ok... I'm just nervous yanking stuff around. I also tried to find the vanity mirror wires this afternoon but sliced my thumb in the process -- but they're switched as well - from when you unlock the car to 30 seconds after you leave it.

Old 06-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Bustov
1st Gear
For the self dimming mirror, grab the base and press up and turn clockwise 90 degrees. Let off upward pressure and it should come down. Has a three wire connector. The green wire was 13 volts switched power. I also took off the clock to get better access to wire loom for mirror. It just pops off, use a flat screw driver and carefully pry down to get it started. With the clock removed I drilled a small hole on the inner roof metal (45 degree bend provides good spot) for a small screw to ground the detector.

Old 06-07-2003, 07:07 PM
jcs
3rd Gear
Please, please, how many wires are going out of auto dim mirror?
Any idea how difficult it would be to add it to the car without it?

Thanks for the input

>For the self dimming mirror, grab the base and press up and turn clockwise 90 degrees. Let off upward pressure and it should come down. Has a three wire connector. The green wire was 13 volts switched power. I also took off the clock to get better access to wire loom for mirror. It just pops off, use a flat screw driver and carefully pry down to get it started. With the clock removed I drilled a small hole on the inner roof metal (45 degree bend provides good spot) for a small screw to ground the detector.
>>
>>_________________
>>Bustov,
>>EB/B MCS, magnaflow, alta intake, madness rear sway

Old 06-07-2003, 07:11 PM
Bustov
1st Gear
jcs,
The self dimming mirror uses a three wire loom with connector. The green wire is 13 volt switched power.

Old 06-07-2003, 07:17 PM
jcs
3rd Gear
>Bustov, any idea what others are ( one for sure ground)? What colors?

I want to put the auto dim on my MCS - ordered it with it, got it without.

Thanks, jcs

>jcs,
>>The self dimming mirror uses a three wire loom with connector. The green wire is 13 volt switched power.

Old 06-07-2003, 07:39 PM
Bustov
1st Gear
>Bustov, any idea what others are ( one for sure ground)? What colors?

I want to put the auto dim on my MCS - ordered it with it, got it without.

Thanks, jcs<

Not really sure, I only looked for the one that had switch power. I would thinkthat the Mini Autodimming mirror if ordered as separate part would come with the connector on it. Just find the loom and plug it in.

Old 06-08-2003, 06:04 PM
Red
6th Gear
In a standard mirror car, would I find the green "switched" wire under the clock cover?

What did you use for a ground?

I was going to route it the way I have for years (switched "iginition on" fuse off the fuse box and a "bolt" ground under the dash.

Your method is more elegant, and keeps me away from those "A" pillars that probably should not be messed with.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Red

Old 06-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Bustov
1st Gear
I would pull the clock and look to see if there is a three wire loom with plastic connector not being used. For the ground I drilled a small hole in the roof frame (take care not to pook through roof or into any sunroof mechanism) and just used small screw to secure the ground connector.