Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Hood Air Extractor Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:26 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, yeah!

Can't wait.

Paul

Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL

Now that is fugly !

Old 09-12-2007, 05:13 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
At the risk of being flamed my opinion is that this scoop is ugly. Looks like a set of clown lips to me. I think that if like the intake scoop it was set into a recessed channel it might visually flow better, but the way it is now it's a tacky Pep-Boys add on. What I don't get is the intake scoop is offset and this one is centered. When standing facing the front of the Mini isn't the DFIC slightly to the left? Does this mean the exit scoop does not cover the far left side of the IC?

Again just my opinion...

Old 09-12-2007, 05:31 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gnatster
At the risk of being flamed my opinion is that this scoop is ugly. Looks like a set of clown lips to me. I think that if like the intake scoop it was set into a recessed channel it might visually flow better, but the way it is now it's a tacky Pep-Boys add on. What I don't get is the intake scoop is offset and this one is centered. When standing facing the front of the Mini isn't the DFIC slightly to the left? Does this mean the exit scoop does not cover the far left side of the IC?

Again just my opinion...
yah seeing the painted version is kinda rough.....reminds me of when 3m tried to enter the import scene with their stick on hood scoops. I would love to see someone mold it into the hood (since you have to have it painted anyways....) or like i said earlier, weld up a more subtle hidden scoop since you are taking the time to cut metal etc.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:03 AM
xbook
Banned
Wow that is one ugly hood scoop, sorry Randy.

Being that there is 11 pages of posts to read thru, I'll just ask for the Cliffs Notes. Any data for this new scoop? Or is it strictly subjective? Cuz for as ugly as it looks, it had better give you SOME MASSIVE power gains.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:22 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
yah seeing the painted version is kinda rough.....reminds me of when 3m tried to enter the import scene with their stick on hood scoops. I would love to see someone mold it into the hood (since you have to have it painted anyways....) or like i said earlier, weld up a more subtle hidden scoop since you are taking the time to cut metal etc.

Originally Posted by xbook
Wow that is one ugly hood scoop, sorry Randy.

Being that there is 11 pages of posts to read thru, I'll just ask for the Cliffs Notes. Any data for this new scoop? Or is it strictly subjective? Cuz for as ugly as it looks, it had better give you SOME MASSIVE power gains.
Did you guys even read any of the previous posts in this thread. There is not a whole lot of demand for this product, so there is not a whole lot of money made on it. Why would M7 spend a whole lot of money developing a "molded" scoop when not many will be sold??? I think they did a good job on "helping out" they few customers that will buy this product, my .02

Old 09-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Did you guys even read any of the previous posts in this thread. There is not a whole lot of demand for this product, so there is not a whole lot of money made on it. Why would M7 spend a whole lot of money developing a "molded" scoop when not many will be sold??? I think they did a good job on "helping out" they few customers that will buy this product, my .02
Did you not read this thread? I was the one who made the low demand point in the first place

I wasn't suggesting M7 mold it....i was suggest the people who bought the scoop have it molded when they are having the hole cut and the scoop painted.

Thanks for your input though

Old 09-12-2007, 07:29 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Did you not read this thread? I was the one who made the low demand point in the first place

I wasn't suggesting M7 mold it....i was suggest the people who bought the scoop have it molded when they are having the hole cut and the scoop painted.

Thanks for your input though
sorry misunderstood your post. You are right, would look better molded in, but the customer will have to spend the extra for it .

Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
sorry misunderstood your post. You are right, would look better molded in, but the customer will have to spend the extra for it .
If you're gonna cut a hole in a $450 hood....I wouldn't cheap out and not pay for the little extra that it would cost to have it molded in

Old 09-12-2007, 08:13 AM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
visually this extractor scoop doesn't work for me either but this is obviously function over form; it makes sense to improve the flow of the air (out) but at what (visual) cost?

Old 09-12-2007, 08:25 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
If you're gonna cut a hole in a $450 hood....I wouldn't cheap out and not pay for the little extra that it would cost to have it molded in
Exactly right, but there are many people that don't go the extra step to "modify" their modifications to make them work better, i'll get flamed for saying that because everyone wants little stickers on everything saying " may have fitment issuse's ". Just ask me, after I cut to much out of my front grill to install my ultimates, out come the tywraps .

Old 09-12-2007, 02:45 PM
CHILE_RED
3rd Gear
I personally think that this scoop looks fantastic, it gives the MINI a more serious look, and i cant wait to see more pictures.....

Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 PM
onasled
Banned
How the heck does anyone really know what this looks like?
I mean there's only been one real photo of it, and on a car with stripes.
I remember when the extreme scoop came out there was about the same 'panic about how ugly it was. After a while it became quite accepted.
Anyway, I don't see this as a mod for those who are more concerned with the look of their Mini then the performance of it.
I think it's a good idea that was just the next obvious step to the DFIC.

Look forward to seeing this on an all black or other solid color car.

to M7 for continuing to give mini owners the choice.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:05 PM
trackertracker
2nd Gear
Old 09-12-2007, 05:21 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
It's still ugly and a lame attempt to make the DFIC function as well as a stock IC......

Old 09-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
It's still ugly and a lame attempt to make the DFIC function as well as a stock IC......
Oh jeez, here we go...

I'd like to see your data from testing both ICs back to back.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Besides your judgement, what is so lame about it? That seems like a pretty unfounded judgement.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:18 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
Oh jeez, here we go...

I'd like to see your data from testing both ICs back to back.
Check out the this thread for a very unbiased test as a start.

And lets not go with the "this vendor can do no wrong" slant ok......

Old 09-12-2007, 06:20 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
Besides your judgement, what is so lame about it? That seems like a pretty unfounded judgement.
Unfounded would be the claim that this does anything more than put a big hole in your hood. Geez......a $1000 mod to try and make the IC work better. Seems pretty lame to me.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Unfounded would be the claim that this does anything more than put a big hole in your hood. Geez......a $1000 mod to try and make the IC work better. Seems pretty lame to me.
So it's not for you. Spend your money elsewhere, perhaps on a charm school?

Last edited by Mini Fireman; 09-12-2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Grammatical change.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
I've read that thread by Rsstopper, and it seems to me that his findings are based on track conditions, not everyday street driving where less demanding conditions are present.
Originally Posted by Scottinbend
I wasn't heading in that direction to begin with. You just seem to be confusing how the two ICs (stock vs DFIC) seem to perform under different conditions.

I don't think the AES will be anywhere near $1000.
My DFIC seems to work pretty good without an exit scoop, and I compare ambient to both boosted and non-boosted IATs everytime i'm in my car.

Last edited by Partsman; 09-12-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear

Thanks for the link. Good info.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:09 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
I've read that thread by Rsstopper, and it seems to me that his findings are based on track conditions, not everyday street driving where less demanding conditions are present.

I wasn't heading in that direction to begin with. You just seem to be confusing how the two ICs (stock vs DFIC) seem to perform under different conditions.

I don't think the AES will be anywhere near $1000.
My DFIC seems to work pretty good without an exit scoop, and I compare ambient to both boosted and non-boosted IATs everytime i'm in my car.
The DFIC is known to have a heat soak problem.....thus the blanket fix. Now they want to "improve" it's function by cutting a hole in the hood. Sounds to me like a round about way of saying it wasn't very well "engineered" to begin with.

And that $1000 is for a new hood, paint job, and installation.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
How the heck does anyone really know what this looks like?
I mean there's only been one real photo of it, and on a car with stripes.
I remember when the extreme scoop came out there was about the same 'panic about how ugly it was. After a while it became quite accepted.
Anyway, I don't see this as a mod for those who are more concerned with the look of their Mini then the performance of it.
I think it's a good idea that was just the next obvious step to the DFIC.

Look forward to seeing this on an all black or other solid color car.

to M7 for continuing to give mini owners the choice.
Ok, so we've only had one real photo on a car with stripes. I can't make a judgment call on the aesthetics from what I'm given by the vendor? I merely stated my opinion. Are we now not allowed to state an opinion if it differs from yours? I thought NAM was a place where we could state our opinions and discuss them. Yeah it's great an all that M7 gives us a choice. I choose that from what I have seen that I don't like the looks of the item.

What about the other part of my observation that it looks like the exit scoop does not cover the entire intercooler. Can anyone answer to that? Is it a flawed design out of the box?

We can only go by what were are shown. Show me more and I can keep updating my opinion, but right now all I can work with is the few poor angles we've been "blessed" to see. Show us a full car shot from some different angles please to allow us to make more informed opinions.

A lot of mods can be easily reversed if the desired performance or visual effects are not to our liking. This one takes some serious commitment. I want to see more before I make the final judgment. So for now I'll offer my opinion based on what I see.

I'd also like to see independent testing on the efficacy of the scoop both in around town and track usage.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
The DFIC is known to have a heat soak problem.....thus the blanket fix. Now they want to "improve" it's function by cutting a hole in the hood. Sounds to me like a round about way of saying it wasn't very well "engineered" to begin with.
So, none of the other top mounts(stock or aftermarket) have a heat soak problem?
In case you didn't notice the one on your car, IT'S RIGHT ON TOP OF THE ENGINE. Anything you mount up there will have a issue with engine heat.

The aerogel blanket wasn't a "fix" for the DFIC, it simply is a means to try and control under hood heat from getting to the device that is designed to remove the heat from the charge air.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Hood Air Extractor Scoop