Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Hood Air Extractor Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:15 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
it has very sound aero principles, period!
Please explain.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:20 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Congrats to M7 for actually tackling this heat issue.

Top import cars all have holes in the hood from the factory for the same reason… Airflow. If you want air to go into/under the bonnet you need a place for it to go out/over the bonnet.

Am I going to cut a hole in my hood? Probably not soon, but then again I'd prefer to see this solution integrated into a complete CF bonnet. Throw in a true NACA duct for the intake and we are talking about serious sex appeal!

Again, congrats M7, keep developing this one. We need it.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:24 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Please explain.
  1. Air is forced through the DFIC at high pressure...
  2. Air will exit at the most expedient point after exiting the DFIC unless the path is obstructed...
  3. Hood extractor provides the quickest, most efficient path...directly behind the DFIC...
  4. The extractor channels the exiting air up through the hood via the shortest path and into the relatively lower pressure airstream (compared to the intake point) traveling rearwards over the bonnet which also helps to extract the pressure built up from the intake...
BTW, I don't receive sponsorship from M7 anymore so this is purely my unbiased opionion based on what I understand about aerodynamics...Aesthetics aside (I balance looks with function which this item is based on), I think this is the perfect logical end to the DFIC!

Last edited by MSFITOY; 09-03-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Fracky
Transwarp - Warp 10.0
I know this is probably a rhetorical question, but will there a template which will accompany this part? Personally, I think it's a logical next step if you have a DFIC, but I get a facial twitch thinking about cutting a hole in my hood with a "best shot" approach to mating the vent with the DFIC air extractor.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:38 PM
goaljnky
Banned
  2. Air has to somewhere after exiting the DFIC...
  3. Hood extractor provides the quickest, most efficient path...directly behind the DFIC...
  4. The extractor channels the exiting air up through the hood via the shortest path and into the relatively lower pressure airstream (compared to the intake point) traveling rearwards over the bonnet which also helps to extract the pressure built up from the intake...
BTW, I don't receive sponsorship from M7 anymore so this is purely my unbiased opionion based on what I understand about aerodynamics...Aesthetics aside (I balance looks with function which this item is based on), I think this is the perfect logical end to the DFIC!
I asked an honest question and I wasn't accusing you of anything. What you're saying makes sense as it relates to the DFIC. But if you add all the things up that are needed to make the DFIC work (the new scoop, the blankets, the coatings, the cuttings of the hood, the extractor) vs. any gains (if at all) does the coast per gain make sense? And if there is little performance gain to be had (just look at the amount of used DFICs for sale lately) is not the only thing left profit?

Old 09-03-2007, 06:49 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I asked an honest question and I wasn't accusing you of anything. What you're saying makes sense as it relates to the DFIC. But if you add all the things up that are needed to make the DFIC work (the new scoop, the blankets, the coatings, the cuttings of the hood, the extractor) vs. any gains (if at all) does the coast per gain make sense? And if there is little performance gain to be had (just look at the amount of used DFICs for sale lately) is not the only thing left profit?
I didn't think you were accusing me of anything LOL...I was just answering your question as straight as I could...

As for the extractors function being necessary to the operation of the DFIC, I believe it works just as designed by exiting the air into the same area the stock IC does, only faster...

I think the extractor design is a very nice enchancement if you have the DFIC and not a necessary one...

Old 09-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jnky, You seemed to have skipped over my little talk about profit....i would love to hear what you think, especially since you keep bringing profit up.

[QUOTE]
But if you add all the things up that are needed to make the DFIC work (the new scoop, the blankets, the coatings, the cuttings of the hood, the extractor) vs. any gains (if at all) does the coast per gain make sense?
Does the cost per gain have to make sense? Half of the fun of modding is just that.....the pursuit of gaining every little bit of performance....if that requires all the things you listed than that is what makes people happy. Look at Msfit's car.....logically does the cost per gain make sense when you look at the price of cars with far more HP? Not at all.....but his car has offered him an unquantifiable amount of entertainment. Besides the pulley....what mod actually does make sense cost per gain? Exhausts are $700 for 5 HP, that doesnt make sense. Modding MINI's for performance isn't necessarily logical from a money standpoint.....Modding MINI's as a hobby is worth every dime you put into it if it makes you happy.

And if there is little performance gain to be had (just look at the amount of used DFICs for sale lately) is not the only thing left profit?
Following your assumption that there is little performance gain....what logic path has lead you to believe that profit is the only alternative as a motivation. Surely the motivation could have been performance....but they failed to reach their goal(again, assuming for some reason that it doesnt offer performance).

Again, this product (and thd DFIC + all the add-ons) is a terrible product to take on for a strictly profit oriented project. You have failed to give any strong reason to believe that it would be a profit oriented product.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:17 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
You have failed to give any strong reason to believe that it would be a profit oriented product.
OK, are you saying M7 is bringing products to market without wanting to make a profit?

Following your assumption that there is little performance gain....what logic path has lead you to believe that profit is the only alternative as a motivation. Surely the motivation could have been performance....but they failed to reach their goal(again, assuming for some reason that it doesnt offer performance).
Fine. I will concede that it failed to reach performance... And, no, I don't know why it did so...

Last edited by goaljnky; 09-03-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:19 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
You know...we at GM just figured out that MINI has pulled one over every car company by creating a profit generating product that sits out in it's own class just sucking up money from their customers...go figure...

If any of you are upset about spending money on your Mini...welcome to the sucker club! I'm enjoying every minute of this...

Old 09-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
OK, are you saying M7 is bringing products to market without wanting to make a profit?
You don't follow.....your first argument was that they were making products JUST to make profit. I said that it's not the case that profit is the ONLY reason.

Of course they WANT to make profit.....is it the ONLY driving force? Of course not....they would be idiots to be searching JUST for profit in a part that will probably sell to 20 people maximum. I was suggesting that their motives lie in creating products that give the what customers they want, and they run the company to make profit as well.

You think in black and white WAY too much.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:26 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
I would not say all those items are needed to make the DFIC work, they are options that may enhance it operation. Lets just state for the sake of this discussion that the DFIC and the OEM IC work equally. The optional ceramic coating in theory would aid in dissipating heat. It's not required but can be added. The blanket, again in theory it makes sense to prevent engine heat from heating the IC. Again, it's an option. Now where does all this air exiting the DFIC escape, an option is offered for that as well. Air exiting the OEM IC needs to be managed as well. In theory wouldn't an opening also help the OEM IC to remove hot air from under the bonnet. The choice is yours, do you want to invest more money in what is quite possibly diminishing returns or just stick with the basic DFIC.

Are these options profit centers? Sure, of course they are. Why the availability of options they may be dubious upsets you, I have no idea. Look at all the dubious options that are profit centers for dealers. I don't see you going after them. If Alta offered these options for their version of the DFIC would you be just as harsh in questioning the merits?

Nobody denies any company's right to make a profit. But when that is the only motivation... I think you can fill in the rest...
How can you state that as a fact? Is there some empirical evidence you can share that the only reason M7 exists, besides to give you fodder for your own issues, is to make a profit. Look at some of the other companies in the Mini aftermarket place, most only resell others products. Surely thats got to reek of only being in the marketplace to enrich themselves. When do you start going after them?

Old 09-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Skiploder
Banned

Fine. I will concede that it failed to reach performance... And, no, I don't know why it did so...
No one can argue that profit is the goal of every Vendor.......

I think what Rally is stating is that the goal was performance. Whether that goal is reached or not is another issue altogether. I do not doubt that the goals were twofold - (1) bring an effective product (read performance) to the market and (2) make a tidy profit off of it.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Oh that's good of you....without any testing on your part or any knowledge of physics or car performance...you have concluded that it failed simply by what you read on NAM. I'm glad you feel that we all value your opinion on such topics of performance enough that you should post your opinion as a fact.

So we have some people who tested it and said it works.
We have someone who tested it on the track and said that it only offers better performance on the street where there is less flow...on the track, the GP IC is better.
And we have you, who read the above person's opinion, and has now....with no expertise on the subject or any testing.....determined that it was an all out failure and provides no performance. That's good, I'm glad such scientifical evidence went into the complaints from the haters.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by gnatster
How can you state that as a fact? Is there some empirical evidence you can share that the only reason M7 exists, besides to give you fodder for your own issues, is to make a profit. Look at some of the other companies in the Mini aftermarket place, most only resell others products. Surely thats got to reek of only being in the marketplace to enrich themselves. When do you start going after them?
Here is how. Back in the day when I was an M7 supporter (yes I was one once) I was hounding Peter about parts for regular Coopers. At one point he himself posted (I will be glad to find the thread for you) that new and exciting products for the MC will be coming shortly. After those parts failed to materialize and he was pressed for more info his reply was simple: "There is not enough demand and therefore not enough profit for M7 to pursue mods for the MC." I think that's clear enough.

As for the other companies that resell products: At least they have enough humility not to call themselves tuners. And as soon as one of them doesn't ship my order, or misrepresents a product they are reselling I will put them on my shiete list.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:42 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Oh that's good of you....without any testing on your part or any knowledge of physics or car performance...you have concluded that it failed simply by what you read on NAM. I'm glad you feel that we all value your opinion on such topics of performance enough that you should post your opinion as a fact.

So we have some people who tested it and said it works.
We have someone who tested it on the track and said that it only offers better performance on the street where there is less flow...on the track, the GP IC is better.
And we have you, who read the above person's opinion, and has now....with no expertise on the subject or any testing.....determined that it was an all out failure and provides no performance. That's good, I'm glad such scientifical evidence went into the complaints from the haters.
Shame, shame, shame. How quickly we turn to name calling. I didn't see you being that vocal when you were on the NUTS playing nice. It's all good... I am sure your expertise is about on par with mine..

Old 09-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Here is how. Back in the day when I was an M7 supporter (yes I was one once) I was hounding Peter about parts for regular Coopers. At one point he himself posted (I will be glad to find the thread for you) that new and exciting products for the MC will be coming shortly. After those parts failed to materialize and he was pressed for more info his reply was simple: "There is not enough demand and therefore not enough profit for M7 to pursue mods for the MC." I think that's clear enough.
That's not clear enough for me....what's it clear about exactly? That they didn't want to lose money on a buisness venture?

Seems like you would be hard pressed to find any company that wants to take on a project that will for sure lose them money.

All i was saying is that they don't stand to make MUCH profit off this part. They will make profit most likely....but if they were just out to get profit, they would take on projects that would make them TONS of money despite not offering much innovation to the community.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Shame, shame, shame. How quickly we turn to name calling. I didn't see you being that vocal when you were on the NUTS playing nice. It's all good... I am sure your expertise is about on par with mine..
I fail to find where i called you a name besides the term 'hater' which is one that you proposed in your thread and should thus carry no normative value.

I have zero expertise.....which is why you won't find me stating that the DFIC is 76% effective or something like that. I leave that up to whoever has the knowledge and motivation to take it on.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:15 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh.

Guys if you don't want it, don't buy it. It's really that simple

No need for all the hatin' After all, we're all just a bunch of car enthusiasts ... right?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Why the nasty response...

Originally Posted by mozzarella
I guess you think it's fun too insult customers, and kiss your fanboys asses. I've bought from you but never again Randy.
I didn't understand your post either!

Matt

And about the Cooper performance parts, I called the Cooper owners on that one. With an announcement of a new cam for the Cooper if 10 owners got in touch with Jan (this was before RMW was blessed to be back here and he just got references from friends) I got 2, read that 2 replies! I don't make any money from Jans stuff, I was just providing a service to the Cooper owners. There's stuff for the Cooper, just not tons. I think that cooper owners who biatch about lack of parts aren't looking hard enough, don't really have a realistic grasp of the actual demand for Cooper performance parts, and just whine that there aren't enogh, when time after time after time, the Cooper owners vote with thier wallet (by not using it)! So what if Peter changed his mind! A plan to do something is just that. What if he had made inquiries to his distribution network and no one wanted to stock/sell? What if there had been a plan to go to Europe for market expansion (where the Cooper sells a much higher percentage than here) that didn't work out? I don't know about any of these things but they would all be good reasons to NOT offer the products.... Probably Peter shouldn't have made a firm committment, but then again, it's not the first time a vendor here has been a bit loose with plans. They change. Fact o life!

Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 AM
mozzarella
Banned
You don't follow.....your first argument was that they were making products JUST to make profit. I said that it's not the case that profit is the ONLY reason.

Of course they WANT to make profit.....is it the ONLY driving force? Of course not....they would be idiots to be searching JUST for profit in a part that will probably sell to 20 people maximum. I was suggesting that their motives lie in creating products that give the what customers they want, and they run the company to make profit as well.

You think in black and white WAY too much.
You work for the goverment?

Old 09-04-2007, 01:46 AM
mozzarella
Banned
  2. Air will exit at the most expedient point after exiting the DFIC unless the path is obstructed...
Did you in the past receive sponsorship from M7?

Old 09-04-2007, 01:49 AM
mozzarella
Banned
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
I didn't understand your post either!

Matt

And about the Cooper performance parts, I called the Cooper owners on that one. With an announcement of a new cam for the Cooper if 10 owners got in touch with Jan (this was before RMW was blessed to be back here and he just got references from friends) I got 2, read that 2 replies! I don't make any money from Jans stuff, I was just providing a service to the Cooper owners. There's stuff for the Cooper, just not tons. I think that cooper owners who biatch about lack of parts aren't looking hard enough, don't really have a realistic grasp of the actual demand for Cooper performance parts, and just whine that there aren't enogh, when time after time after time, the Cooper owners vote with thier wallet (by not using it)! So what if Peter changed his mind! A plan to do something is just that. What if he had made inquiries to his distribution network and no one wanted to stock/sell? What if there had been a plan to go to Europe for market expansion (where the Cooper sells a much higher percentage than here) that didn't work out? I don't know about any of these things but they would all be good reasons to NOT offer the products.... Probably Peter shouldn't have made a firm committment, but then again, it's not the first time a vendor here has been a bit loose with plans. They change. Fact o life!
Matt you I'm guessing make money from MC2 so you make money from vendors. I've not seen one article in that mag that said anything MINI was anything other than great.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 AM
mozzarella
Banned
If I had a spare hood, I would gladly install this extractor on my Mini...it has very sound aero principles, period!

Moz needs more tofu and a little anger management therapy...my 2 cents...
And you my friend need a life. Something other than posting you endless mod
so your groupies so they can tell you what a stud you are. Try driving the car some. Maybe and here is a thought spend some of that money on a track day and see what the car will really do.

And by the way is it cool enough to make that dyno run so we can see these awsome numbers from the parking lot queen. Because you car can kick my cars *** in a parking lot ...lol.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:02 AM
jeffc
7th Gear
Mozzarella everyone is sick of your hate post so find something else to occupy your time. We get it everyone is wrong and your right . People are here to discuss new projects, ideas, mods, ask questions and share information (right or wrong) and opinions are very important but you continue to come across in a negative tone on every post you write.

If you dont like a product dont buy it, state your opinion and move on.

Originally Posted by mozzarella
And you my friend need a life. Something other than posting you endless mod
so your groupies so they can tell you what a stud you are. Try driving the car some. Maybe and here is a thought spend some of that money on a track day and see what the car will really do.

And by the way is it cool enough to make that dyno run so we can see these awsome numbers from the parking lot queen. Because you car can kick my cars *** in a parking lot ...lol.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:12 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Way to miss the point, Matt. The fact is he never came up with jack because in his opinion there was going to be no profit. This was used to counter act the point by Rally that there is little profit consideration in the hood extractor project. MC owners desire, or lack thereof to upgrade is completely irrelevant to this conversation.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Hood Air Extractor Scoop