Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Hood Air Extractor Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:23 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mozzarella
You work for the goverment?
Ummm no? And I'm not sure I understand what you mean? (this is not an insult and not meant to be dismissive.....)

Old 09-04-2007, 05:25 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Way to miss the point, Matt. The fact is he never came up with jack because in his opinion there was going to be no profit. This was used to counter act the point by Rally that there is little profit consideration in the hood extractor project. MC owners desire, or lack thereof to upgrade is completely irrelevant to this conversation.
How does that counter act my point? No one is missing the point.....your arguments just aren't counteracting what you think they are.

MC parts = no profit

Hood extractor = very little profit

There is profit consideration.....It's just not the only motivational force. Which was my point all along and your mention of the MC parts doesnt counteract that at all.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And you my friend need a life. Something other than posting you endless mod
so your groupies so they can tell you what a stud you are. Try driving the car some. Maybe and here is a thought spend some of that money on a track day and see what the car will really do.

And by the way is it cool enough to make that dyno run so we can see these awsome numbers from the parking lot queen. Because you car can kick my cars *** in a parking lot ...lol.
Now you're getting a little out of hand. You need to just chill.
Sid's car has almost 60k on it and is very much a driver.
Go find another thread to screw up with your meaningless posts that no one can understand.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:11 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
How does that counter act my point? No one is missing the point.....your arguments just aren't counteracting what you think they are.

MC parts = no profit

Hood extractor = very little profit

There is profit consideration.....It's just not the only motivational force. Which was my point all along and your mention of the MC parts doesnt counteract that at all.
OK. :impatient

Old 09-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Scouser
6th Gear
Matt you I'm guessing make money from MC2 so you make money from vendors. I've not seen one article in that mag that said anything MINI was anything other than great.
That's how magazines stay in business through subscriptions and advertising revenue. Why would anyone advertise in a magazine that trashed their products and why would an editor allow this to be published. A magazine wouldn't last five minutes using that logic,
Just look at any copy of Car and Driver or Road and Track and they never really slam the products in their publication for exactly the same reasons.

Top Gear may be an exception to this rule because they do not have to rely on advertisng dollars as the BBC has no advertising (U.K. residents must but a licence to watch their T.V.).

Old 09-04-2007, 06:39 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Ok, B.O.T. everyone. This is not "How to make a Profit" thread.

I want to get the DFIC w/coating, scoop, Aerogel blanket, and Extractor scoop not for more HP, but for heat issues. When I was @ MOTD last, my power steering pump went out and I don't want that to happen again. I am hoping this will help with that issue.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:49 AM
trackertracker
2nd Gear
meanwhile back at the ranch----

I like new stuff

Old 09-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Here's the sad truth about magazines...

Matt you I'm guessing make money from MC2 so you make money from vendors. I've not seen one article in that mag that said anything MINI was anything other than great.
I get $150 per page, less editing charges, for what I write for MC Squared. I do it for the fun, and because I think I can help the community.... Kind of like the helpful posts I do here.... The hourly rate is about the same....

For the last article I wrote, I read every complaint, TSB, recall and investigation on the NHTSA website. That was about 6 hours work. I read every thread I could find on serious service issues on the new Mini, along with other web investigations, that was another 15+ hours. The writing was a good 6-7 hours, and then there was the time to photograph parts of cars, and to herd the cats that it takes to get some photos from other nice, uncompensated people that like to help, because every failure that I'd written about hadn't happened to my car. So about 30 hours of work. Maybe it will work out to about $12 an hour.

I like to write about what I know, and I definantly don't do it for a profit! Also, I help Gary out with stuff, sometimes paid, sometimes not, that lowers my hourly wage.

Before you start suggesting that profit is the only motive for what I do, do some thinking about what it takes to get things done.

As far as "everything being called great" in the mag, think about it! If we shiit on every part that comes across from advertisers, then there's no advertisers. What I have to do is point out where things work best, and it's up to the intelligent reader to figure out who's getting faint praise (the worst kind there is) and who gets genuine results. While it's not ideal, the same is true in every magazine ever made that has add revenue as part of the operating model. Also, anything written by a by-line author goes through editing, and some pretty hefty changes can happen there, all at the discression of the editor, and you, the reader, will never know what the author wrote and what the editor changes.

the stuff about M7 changing thier mind WAS on topic, as one of the posters said that why they didn't like M7 anymore, becasue the Cooper products never showed up.

To the original topic, Randy admitted that he was the delay in the parts getting to market, and anyone over the age of about 3 knows stuff like this happens all the time. I've found that if I think about a lot of the things that **** me off from another perspective, it's not so unreasonable and I'm not as pissed.

Whatever....

Matt

Old 09-04-2007, 07:21 AM
PGT
Banned
I guess you think it's fun too insult customers, and kiss your fanboys asses. I've bought from you but never again Randy.
so your groupies so they can tell you what a stud you are. Try driving the car some. Maybe and here is a thought spend some of that money on a track day and see what the car will really do.

And by the way is it cool enough to make that dyno run so we can see these awsome numbers from the parking lot queen. Because you car can kick my cars *** in a parking lot ...lol.
someone go off their meds this weekend?

Old 09-04-2007, 07:28 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm a stud? Cooool

I'm honored that you want to be my groupie...should I sign you up for Msfitoy's monthly news letter?

FWIW...My 03 clocked 67,783 miles when I parked it last night, 343 yesterday alone...my logger recorded 117 times the motor reached redline while we were out...and yeah...she still looks like she never left the garage so I can understand your misconception...

biting my tongue...

Last edited by MSFITOY; 09-04-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:31 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
FWIW...My 03 clocked 67,783 miles when I parked it last night,
Ok, i was a little off in my post.

Can I check out that newsletter?

Old 09-04-2007, 07:32 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
wow... some of you people have serious issues. Get a life.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:37 AM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Now let's think logically.....if someone's motivation is solely based on making a profit, a smart idea would be to produce products that offer large profit margins. A piece such as this that will probably come out being made in fiberglass has a massive set-up cost, a large amount of time (time=money) and money that goes into R&D/sculpting of the original copy, and a high initial price for creating the mold.....now tie all this into the fact that it's a part for MINI's only, a part for MCS's only, a part for DFIC-owners only,and part for people with enough guts/insanity to cut a hole in their fairly new cars......this narrows it done to a very low customer base. The number of possible customers is TINY. The low customer base will not offer much room for a large profit margin. With fiberglass pieces, companies rely on a large number of sales to overcome the initial start-up cost of the project because after the start-up cost, the cost is minimal. However...when looking at a part that will sell very few because of a limited customer base in an already limited car community.....this would be one of the worst ventures to get high profits.

If you take the simple logic of economics and apply it to this part, you could not possibly think this is some buisness venture to make profit. Maybe the part is useless in the end....but they are clearly motivated by something besides the very small (if any) profit that they would make on this limited part.

I'm all for questioning vendors.....but atleast use some intelligence and tact when you do so. Making a bunch of arguments that have very little standing in logical arguments only make your cause seem to be a personal distaste for a company rather than a disagreement with their buisness practice.
This response, by far, makes the most sense.
Business is ALL about profit. No one goes into business to lose money.

I've been waiting for this addition to the DFIC mod for quite some time and am more than ready to cut whatever hole is necessary.

My Mini is my basic transportation, but it is also my means of having some fun with my car as a hobby. There are way more expensive hobbies out there (I've been in some) and I'm always interested in what others do with their Minis as well.

I say: Keep up the thinking, the questioning, the ideas. But keep the mean spirited gouging to yourself.

People like MSFITOY, PARTSMAN, RYEPHILE, BAHAMABART, dR. pHIL, RANDY, PETER, JAN, etc. make this an enjoyable, and quite challenging hobby.

Paul

Last edited by pberry51mini; 09-04-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
My 03 clocked 67,783 miles when I parked it last night, 343 yesterday alone..
YOU have more miles than i do on my 02?! Uh oh.....gotta start driving more

Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by minimusprime
wow... some of you people have serious issues. Get a life.
Some? As in plural?

In all seriousness, 99.99% of us are here to help others...

Last edited by MSFITOY; 09-04-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by pberry51mini
This response, by far, makes the most sense.
Thanks Paul

Old 09-04-2007, 07:47 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Some? As in plural?

In all seriousness, 99.99% of us are here to help others...I can't even begin to see where and when Moz helped anyone here...please correct me if I'm wrong...
I left it ambiguous as i figured my friends would know who I'm talking about.

To answer your question. I'm not a warm fuzzy feeling type of guy. I don't go out and "Motor" I don't open the "Bonnet" when I work on my car... But I am a mini owner for better or for worse. I consider myself a subset of car enthusiests that happens to own and like mini's. Even though my opinions or ideals don't align with some of the warm and fuzzy mini owners I am still a mini owner. No reason to bash people or come down on them, even though I don't find nam as my favorite place to be on the net.

If you don't agree with some one for whatever reason... ignore them and keep your mouth shut. We are generally all on the same team.

back on topic. Product development is a fickle thing... if you don't understand that you're just middle management and that's where you will stay. If you want something to come to the market faster or something to be developed... you have two choices. Wait for it to come to fruition and pay whatever price is being asked (NO MATTER HOW MUCH PROFIT THE PRODUCER IS OR ISN'T MAKING) or shut your mouth and get to work and fabricate it on your own.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Pussies!

Mine is at 87k!

And FWIW, I make over $1000 a day as a consultant, so I do the automotive writing at a loss (in opportunity cost). There is another money based motiviation, as an automotive journalist (the standards are low if I'm in the crowd) I can do anything automotive and log it as a business expense. So my track fees are tax deductible and the like. I'd still do them if I didn't get the deduction, but it does help out, as track fees are pretty steep. So there is a bit more profit for me than just the page fees.....

But I have to differ on starting companies to make losses. It's a time honored way to lower your taxes. (see above) Start an endevor, have it accure paper losses, and dedcut them agianst your normal income.... Net result is more money in your pocket, but the company is still run at a loss....

Some other stuff to think about. The R56s are having issue with hood temps soaring after shut off. Mini opened some holes in the fake scoop plastic thinggy to vent hot air out the hood, to lower peak temps. (also run the fans longer after a stop as well) so there's some advantang for holes in the hood, even if it just does deal with heat soak!

But the very best hood louvers have a ridge in front of them to create a real low pressure area where the louvers are. (There are some photos of an aftermaket hood floating around. Personally, I thought it was ugle, but the ridge would make the hood extractors work better) If you arn't carefull and you go too far back by the windshield, you actually get to higher pressures! It's an old hot rodders trick to jack the rear of the hood up a bit to get fresh air to the open element air cleaners....

Matt

Last edited by Dr Obnxs; 09-04-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Bingo!

Originally Posted by minimusprime
Iyou have two choices. Wait for it to come to fruition and pay whatever price is being asked (NO MATTER HOW MUCH PROFIT THE PRODUCER IS OR ISN'T MAKING) or shut your mouth and get to work and fabricate it on your own.
And I love the sentance in you sig! So true, so true...

Matt

Old 09-04-2007, 08:16 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some? As in plural?

In all seriousness, 99.99% of us are here to help others...I can't even begin to see where and when Moz helped anyone here...please correct me if I'm wrong...
I think he's talkin about you Sid. Ya know, I've learned tons from junky in all of his 3000+ post, and nothing from you. Get a life Sid!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:25 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by onasled
I think he's talkin about you Sid. Ya know, I've learned tons from junky in all of his 3000+ post, and nothing from you. Get a life Sid!
And it is always my pleasure to school you... :impatient

Old 09-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Fracky
Transwarp - Warp 10.0
I'm a stud? Cooool

I'm honored that you want to be my groupie...should I sign you up for Msfitoy's monthly news letter?

FWIW...My 03 clocked 67,783 miles when I parked it last night, 343 yesterday alone...my logger recorded 117 times the motor reached redline while we were out...and yeah...she still looks like she never left the garage so I can understand your misconception...

edit
Dude!
If Msfitoy has a newsletter, put me on the list fo sho! Also, if your car has groupies, I'll definitely put wear the group shirt, hat, etc.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:43 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you. You are a Mini God to me. Keep up with all your informitive input. Your data testing was invaluble to my building my racecar.
To all here, ... please do yourself a favor and read all of junkie's past post. It's a whealth of information that one can't do without. Kudos to you Junky, you da man.

Oh .... and Sid, Matt, and others, ... quit being such loosers.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:44 AM
RigseyUK
Neutral
Originally Posted by jeffc
Mozzarella everyone is sick of your hate post so find something else to occupy your time. We get it everyone is wrong and your right . People are here to discuss new projects, ideas, mods, ask questions and share information (right or wrong) and opinions are very important but you continue to come across in a negative tone on every post you write.

If you dont like a product dont buy it, state your opinion and move on.
+1

Old 09-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
What subject do you teach?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Hood Air Extractor Scoop