Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior MINI Woody is here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003 | 01:16 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I can't imagine a "woody" treatment looking worse on a MINI than that one! Everything about it is wrong. The lines are terrible - no relation to the rest of the car! I can't believe they have that on their showroom floor!

Old 06-10-2003 | 01:15 AM
pooky13
4th Gear
Uhhhhh, that sucks!

Uhhhhhh, that really sucks! Again, it sucks!

Old 06-10-2003 | 01:40 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Well, I was there when the pictures were taken and in person it is not the same car. The pictures do not do the woody justice. The cut out for the name on the rear hatch has the shape that would fit a cooper S. That part I don't like but the sides really don't look so bad in real life.

Perhaps the worst part is that the sides do have a stick on vinyl appearance- you can't mistake it for real wood. The overall look from afar is quite unique and that is how most people will see the woody. I told them they needed a surfboard rack and surfboard. What about a Baywatch MINI in red with the Baywatch logo on the door? I've seen it done with a Nissan Xterra.

The mini is a unique car and the woody is very unique. Not ugly like a pacer-please. That I agree on. I don't think the dealer will have a hard time selling the woody.

One of the sales persons told me a future 15 year old girl came in with her parents who are buying her a new cooper and she plans to paint it pink (interior is all black), as soon as she gets her permit to drive that is. Gotta be 15 and a half. Thank goodness she is not on the road yet. No woody for her.

Old 06-10-2003 | 01:58 AM
SCCA
3rd Gear
Nasty..nasty...nasty...looks so very cheap..no thanks!

Old 06-10-2003 | 02:42 AM
Kohu'ulaMINI
|
5th Gear

>>
>>One of the sales persons told me a future 15 year old girl came in with her parents who are buying her a new cooper and she plans to paint it pink (interior is all black), as soon as she gets her permit to drive that is. Gotta be 15 and a half. Thank goodness she is not on the road yet. No woody for her. Maybe she should add the "Woody" option on her pink MC

*minihune, note* you're standing in front of the "Woody" by your espresso machine on the 2nd pic

Old 06-10-2003 | 04:15 AM
Hank
4th Gear
The history of the Mini shows many, many permutations of the original design, some very funky some really cool, but in the end they all said Mini.
For the new Mini to accomplish the same status as the original we need to see more of this type of alteration.
I too am not crazy about the way he cut out around the 'Cooper' name on the rear deck though.
I think we should keep these type of alterations coming more and more, good bad or indfferent you can never tell what could show up, congrates!

Old 06-10-2003 | 04:17 AM
Hank
4th Gear
Say, did you guys notice the flush, body colored gas tank hatch door?
Is this a standard feature on a regular Mini?

Old 06-10-2003 | 05:13 AM
jman2000
1st Gear
That thing is so ugly. The faux woody look does nothing for the car. Do people that put painted on wood really think they are fooling anyone? Atleast the old mini used real wood accents.

Old 06-11-2003 | 03:34 AM
Kohu'ulaMINI
|
5th Gear
>>Say, did you guys notice the flush, body colored gas tank hatch door?
>>Is this a standard feature on a regular Mini?

That is the standard "petrol" door on the MC. It's kinda hard to see, but there is a raised lip on the edge of the door to insert finger to open it.

Old 06-11-2003 | 04:17 AM
minihune
I think some of us are missing the point of the woody mini. It is not supposed to look like "real" wood panels but to invoke the nostalgic flavor of those wood sided cars of old. Naturally it would be better to have a real wood panel mini but the cost would be prohibitive and the upkeep might be more than the cost of maintenance for the rest of the entire car. Sure there are flaws in execution of the vinyl and it does look cheap but heh, it's a mini and from the inside it looks, drives, and feels like a mini. Plain and simple. I still say- add a surf board or two and a rack and it will be ready to head for the beach.
By the way I spoke to the sales manager today and he says he has gotten inquiries from current owners of minis about adding the woody kit to their cars. And no they are NOT crazy. I told you that it does look "better" than the pictures in person. I wasn't kidding.

Old 06-11-2003 | 10:09 AM
TonYarrow
1st Gear
The retro woody look dosen't go well with the modern new MINI design. Definitely not my taste.

Old 06-11-2003 | 10:29 AM
Zappa
5th Gear
Ohhhh No!!
It's that Chrysler thing. they are always putting wood trim on all their cars.

Old 06-11-2003 | 10:36 AM
X2Board
5th Gear
Quick! Somebody poke my eyes out, so I don't ever have to see that again.

X2

Old 06-11-2003 | 10:39 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
>>It’s not a woody – It’s a plasticky.<<

You are SO right, sndwave! This plasticky woodie is UGLY!! UGH UGH UGLY! Ptui! I spit on it! Tee hee!

Old 07-23-2003 | 02:42 AM
Kohu'ulaMINI
|
5th Gear
>>
>>
There is also a proud BRG owner with the "Woody" kit

Apparantly there is a market for this "upgrade kit"

Old 07-23-2003 | 02:58 AM
Deli
6th Gear
There truly is no accounting for taste...

Old 07-23-2003 | 06:38 AM
MINISPIDER
4th Gear
.......EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! :evil:nullQuick....somebody,burn that mini.

Old 07-23-2003 | 06:50 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Sorry, looks a bit too much like this:

Old 07-23-2003 | 07:04 AM
minihune
While I am no fan of the vulnerable AMC Pacer "woody stationwagon" look. I think that making any comparison of the AMC pacer and the MC is absurd. Now it is a valid point if you think that the appearance is out of place or not becoming the dignity of a MINI in classic form.
The mere fact that the car sold and is generating interest speaks for it's appeal at least in a way that Hank mentions.
And thanks Hank, for having the insight to encourage new thoughts and designs in the spirit of uniqueness and creativity.

True some of you may have a strong opinion of the appearance- you are entitled to that.
But I can tell you from being in the showroom and from seeing the car now on four different occasions that people do look at the car much more in woody trim. It is an eye catcher in person.

I don't think people that dislike the design will look for very long because there are other MINIs in the same showroom. But for those who don't like the aerokit or don't care for the black or white roof but still want some nostagic look then this may appeal to them. I cannot second guess anyone else's aesthetic judgement. But I can appreciate having a choice to decide for myself.

Oh yeah and if you are wondering. I did not buy the woody myself and I do not know exactly who bought the woody but I will be on the look out for it and give it a big wave. I bet that in the general public it is getting way more positive looks for being a MINI with a unique design than my dull dime a dozen Indy blue/white MCS. I wonder how wood looks on blue?

Old 07-23-2003 | 07:08 AM
orbhot
6th Gear
Reminds me of my Mom's 1979 Pontiac Grand Le Mans Safari station wagon with "vinyl wood" siding. I learned to drive in that car. With a 2-barrel 305 V8, posi rear, and weiging at least 2 tons it couldn't even spin the tires, but what a big back end it had. Oh the memories!

Old 07-23-2003 | 01:07 PM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
>>Reminds me of my Mom's 1979 Pontiac Grand Le Mans Safari station wagon with "vinyl wood" siding. I learned to drive in that car. With a 2-barrel 305 V8, posi rear, and weiging at least 2 tons it couldn't even spin the tires, but what a big back end it had. Oh the memories!

Yea, baby... 1979 Dodge Diplomat wood panel stationwagon... seems we have similar memories.... learned to "drive" in that.

Old 07-23-2003 | 01:11 PM
minibill
3rd Gear
less is is more
mona cooper

Old 07-23-2003 | 02:28 PM
hafid
6th Gear
Hideous.

I'm staring at the picture in disbelief that something like this exists. But since that's an aesthetic viewpoint, I can't argue that since design is subjective. Therefore, I wil repeat my personal viewpoint.

Hideous.

haf :smile:

Old 07-24-2003 | 07:53 AM
mightyMiniz
Banned
>>Sorry, looks a bit too much like this:
>>
>>

Old 08-07-2003 | 09:34 AM
valnmike
2nd Gear
No thank you. I prefer to get my Cooper from MINI not from Chrysler. Even if the engine is from a joint venture with them, please not the K-car wood too.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior MINI Woody is here!!!