Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Just Installed:12000k Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:43 PM
EDM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
There not at all purple...not even a hue of purple...if you dont like it then you dont like it thats fine....no need to bash...I can promise you they give plenty of light and do no interfere with my night driving what so ever....The problem with NAM ive noticed is comments people make putting down other peoples decisions...

Not to bash, but if its not purple then its not 12K, please reference the chart, 12k is the one that says "exoctic violet", its very purple, and very exotic. At 12k you might as well be shooting rainbow beams out of your car.

Let us know what output it is.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:30 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Im sorry but that chart you just posted is pretty much useless. that is a photoshopped image of one photo that the user (probably selling their bulbs on eBay) just changed the colors on to represent their idea of color. While it is close, it is not completely accurate.

But like a few others said...post up your pictures. I will not be going that high, but I will be going with 6k or 8k.

Many of you know that you lose lumens, but do you know how much visibility you actually lose? Yeah, you will lose some, but how much?
I'm willing to bet that many of you bashing this guy's decision have not sat behind the wheel of each temperature rating to compare the visibility loss associated with each kelvin temp. So unless you have had them yourself, you have no room to call this guy a liar when he says he can still see at night.

I think I'm going to go buy some nice 30,000k. I wonder if NAM will crash and the Earth will stop spinning on its axis?

Old 08-16-2007, 04:12 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SnYpR
Im sorry but that chart you just posted is pretty much useless. that is a photoshopped image of one photo that the user (probably selling their bulbs on eBay) just changed the colors on to represent their idea of color. While it is close, it is not completely accurate.

But like a few others said...post up your pictures. I will not be going that high, but I will be going with 6k or 8k.

Many of you know that you lose lumens, but do you know how much visibility you actually lose? Yeah, you will lose some, but how much?
I'm willing to bet that many of you bashing this guy's decision have not sat behind the wheel of each temperature rating to compare the visibility loss associated with each kelvin temp. So unless you have had them yourself, you have no room to call this guy a liar when he says he can still see at night.

I think I'm going to go buy some nice 30,000k. I wonder if NAM will crash and the Earth will stop spinning on its axis?

At 7500k you loose almost 50% visability based on what I have observed. I was able to counter the loss by moving from 55watt to 100watt bulbs. I am now back to standard visability with a cool bluish white light.

Last edited by lhoboy; 08-16-2007 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:50 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all science dude....that chart might be photoshopped, but on the temperature of light, 12000 kevlins is the start of ultra-violet light. Do you care to contest science...becase that would be hilarious. Who cares if it was photoshopped? Not just in the HID world is 12000k considered to be on the edge of UV lighting. Funny proof? For the UV lighting of fish tanks....12000k is often found as a good temp bulbs for the necessary UV light. So how do you think 12000k would be putting out blue wavelenghts when science has determined otherwise?

This photo below is not photoshopped.... 12000k, as i said, is definitely entering ultra-violet and has a hint of deep purple in it. If he wanted blue....you can see that he could have stuck at 6000k or MAYBE 8000k if he really wanted blue....why step it up nearly 4000kelvins and lose so many more lumens?

And i don't know if you missed all of the posts....but yes, we do know how much visibility you lose. We know what bulbs he had (OEM) and we know what bulbs he has now (12000k unless he was wrong about the number).

Here is a link that isn't just some ricer company trying to sell stuff on ebay....it's a legit lighting company. Notice that at 6800 kelvin they have already hit blue.....now you need to up the temperature a little over 5000 kelvins and you think it's going to remain blue? Try again.....as any light related science textbook would tell you, when a body is heated to 12000kelvins you will be at the end of the dark blue wavelenghts and will be entering the ultra-violet region. http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/CTGY/ColorTemp

And I really couldn't care less what someone says from sitting behind the car....because again, science can easily prove that someone will perceive that they have lost no power or even gained some when switching to a blue color simply because our eyes are more sensitive to such a color. It will appear to be more intense when in reality the visibility is much less. If you feel otherwise, i suggest you do a little reading here: http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/color1.html Specifically about "Linear Normalized Cone Fundamentals" but also about the wavelengths. So he can sit and claim that he can see just as well and that his bulbs are super bright, and i can feel certain in my beliefs behind my computer that if he does in fact have 12000k bulbs, according to science, he may feel that they are brighter, but they are in fact.....not.

You can go ahead and be the NAM-rebel by being "different" I'm all for that and pushing the boundaries....i have done it myself quite a few times. But this time it has just been taken too far. 6000k because you want the blue color.....cool go for it. 12000k because you want the blue color.....props on being different, but you get the big F because you didn't do proper research. you can get a stark blue with 6500k bulbs.....there is zero reason to move to 12000k. You lose so many lumens that even for the sake of being different, it was a poor choice.

Last edited by Rally@StanceDesign; 08-16-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:30 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
You can honestly sit there and compare the 12000k between those two pictures and tell me that those are the same color? I am sorry but they are no where close. the first picture is blatantly purple while the real picture you posted shows very little, if any hue of purple. I can't see the purple until 13000k, which only reaffirms my original statement...'While that photoshopped image is a close representation. it it not the actual color at the given temp. ratings.'

Maybe this will aid you..

Are those colors the same? Again, the photoshopped image...."while it is close, it is not completely accurate."

perhaps you missed the point of my post..I am not denying that 12,000k can be considered as the start of the UV light spectrum, nor am i denying that you will lose visible light. I was asking if anyone has first-hand experience with different bulbs at all these different temperatures, OR better yet, taken a photograph of a road lit up with different temperatures so everyone can actually see for themselves the amount of color loss.

Anyways, thank you for your educational post, but it did little to answer any of the concerns in my post. Also, I can not help but laugh at your comment about contesting science. I am glad you think science is written in stone and that it is the absolute truth. Fortunately, not everyone in the world has the same mindset as you, or we'd probably still believe that the sun revolves around the earth.

Thank you lhoboy for your first hand experience about color loss. That is more of the type of information I was looking for.

Last edited by MUShadd; 08-16-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:40 AM
EDM
3rd Gear
You can honestly sit there and compare the 12000k between those two pictures and tell me that those are the same color? I am sorry but they are no where close. the first picture is blatantly purple while the real picture you posted shows very little, if any hue of purple. I can't see the purple until 13000k, which only reaffirms my original statement...'While that photoshopped image is a close representation. it it not the actual color at the given temp. ratings.'

Maybe this will aid you..

Are those colors the same? Again, the photoshopped image...."while it is close, it is not completely accurate."

perhaps you missed the point of my post..I am not denying that 12,000k can be considered as the start of the UV light spectrum, nor am i denying that you will lose visible light. I was asking if anyone has first-hand experience with different bulbs at all these different temperatures, OR better yet, taken a photograph of a road lit up with different temperatures so everyone can actually see for themselves the amount of color loss.

Anyways, thank you for your educational post, but it did little to answer any of the concerns in my post. Also, I can not help but laugh at your comment about contesting science. I am glad you think science is written in stone and that it is the absolute truth. Fortunately, not everyone in the world has the same mindset as you, or we'd probably still believe that the sun revolves around the earth.

Thank you lhoboy for your first hand experience about color loss. That is more of the type of information I was looking for.
your an arrogant guy

Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor

I do not believe science is written in stone...but i will be much quicker to rely on it than the comments made by some young kids looking to get "super cool blue bulbs".

I have had prior experience with bulbs ranging from 3000-8000k in person. I saw that 8000k started to have a very purple tint to it. Considering that moving from 3000k-6000k is enough to go from yellow->white->bright blue it's pretty easy to see that the 12000k would be enough to be a dark purple.

And of course the colors in the pics arent the same. But i bet you place that bulb in a HID housing, and take a pic from the angle that the other one was taken from and they will appear to be much closer than they are now. It's not very fair to simply judge from a pic of the actual bulb sitting in a box.

Having talked to people whose profession it is to work with HID headlights, many laugh at the idea of 12000k and will report a blatantly purple headlight color.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:49 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
I am sorry if I hurt your feelings by calling the image you posted, inaccurate. I simply wanted to state that the colors were exaggerated. With help from RallyMini's real-life image, I pointed out the obvious. So if that makes me arrogant, I can live with that.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:51 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by EDM
your an arrogant guy

Old 08-16-2007, 09:56 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I do not believe science is written in stone...but i will be much quicker to rely on it than the comments made by some young kids looking to get "super cool blue bulbs".

I have had prior experience with bulbs ranging from 3000-8000k in person. I saw that 8000k started to have a very purple tint to it. Considering that moving from 3000k-6000k is enough to go from yellow->white->bright blue it's pretty easy to see that the 12000k would be enough to be a dark purple.

And of course the colors in the pics arent the same. But i bet you place that bulb in a HID housing, and take a pic from the angle that the other one was taken from and they will appear to be much closer than they are now. It's not very fair to simply judge from a pic of the actual bulb sitting in a box.

Having talked to people whose profession it is to work with HID headlights, many laugh at the idea of 12000k and will report a blatantly purple headlight color.

Fair enough, I can agree with all of that. I think it would be nice to see those temperatures in person, or at different angles. I never have, which is why I was asking for people who have actually ran the different temps. in HID bulbs. I have personally owned factory, 6000k and 8500k, but these where standard halogen bulbs. I have yet to change my 4300k xenons in the MINI, but when I do, I will def. capture before and after pictures.

I will also use the image you posted to help me decide whether or not I want to go with 6k or 8k. For my decision, its not about visibility, but more about matching my white LED park lights. I wonder how long those bulbs have been on in that picture? since they do tend to change color after being on for a bit.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:04 AM
snid
6th Gear
How can you argue with a picture of "Icegurg Blue", Brilliang Blue", and "Extic Violet"?

Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snid
How can you argue with a picture of "Icegurg Blue", Brilliang Blue", and "Extic Violet"?
HAHAHAH! Exactly what I was thinking!

Old 08-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Aside from the decrease in usable light, the lamps will produce a very distinct bluish-purple that will catch cops eyes for hundreds of yards. While you might be able to live with the view from inside the cockpit, you are running the chance of being pulled over for 'illegal equipment'. Just sayin'.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:13 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For my decision, its not about visibility, but more about matching my white LED park lights.
And that there is what this discussion is really about.

If you want bling ... do what you want. Your car, your money, whatever.

If you want to actually see something at night, read http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html that explains very well why blue or purple light is not only illegal but simply dangerous, as someone posted before about light scattering.

Bling choices are about personal opinions and we all know what personal opinions are worth. But illegal and safety issues are not personal opinions but a matter of public safety.

Sometime go over to officer.com and search on headlights. See what they say. Blue lights in the front of a car are probably illegal in every state AND they must have a DOT marking on them or they are "for off road use only"

If someone is going to post about how wonderful some bling they bought may be, they can't expect everyone else to have the same opinion. Bling is bling ... a personal opinion, and everyone got opinions.

Last edited by chows4us; 08-16-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mandatory Daniel Stern link in lighting thread has been satisfied.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:47 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
And that there is what this discussion is really about.

If you want bling ... do what you want. Your car, your money, whatever.
Actually, the LEDs on my car are white, So I want the headlamps to match those...so if having white light is "bling" then I guess this is me..

Last edited by MUShadd; 08-16-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:18 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
AND they must have a DOT marking on them or they are "for off road use only"
Like almost all rally style driving lamps for our cars. but something tells me that more then one or two of the people with these set ups run them ON the road.

ps, keep that pimp hand strong Snypr!

Old 08-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Actually, the LEDs on my car are white, So I want the headlamps to match those...so if having white light is "bling" then I guess this is me..
I just don't get it...."my LEDs are white" "so i want to match them with bright blue HIDs"

Old 08-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by El_Griton
Like almost all rally style driving lamps for our cars. but something tells me that more then one or two of the people with these set ups run them ON the road.

ps, keep that pimp hand strong Snypr!
Rally lights add light to the road....that isn't stupid. 12000k bulbs decrease the light on the road substantially. One seems like a good idea.....another doesn't seem very itelligent.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:56 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatbear
Mandatory Daniel Stern link in lighting thread has been satisfied.
Life just wouldn't be the same without Daniel And little bit of education wouldn't hurt for those who haven't taken physics 101 yet

Originally Posted by El_Griton
"almost all"? I don't see that at all. I've added auxiliary lights, both driving and fogs to my cars for many, many years and all have been perfectly legal. It doesn't take much effort to pick up some Hella, Cibie or other reputable name brand lights and bulbs that have been around for many years rather than buying some overpriced stuff sold as bling to ppl who prefer form over function.

I got nothing against bling ... I like bling But sometimes you got to able to see at night ... its a good idea at least, especially when its dark so buying DOT approved lights is pretty easy.

Just take a look at how much is sold clearly marked "for off road use only". You pay your money and take your chances.

But if you actually want to see where you going, there's actually a reason the laws exist.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:44 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I just don't get it...."my LEDs are white" "so i want to match them with bright blue HIDs"
Care to quote me where I said I wanted bright blue? I said i was looking at either 8k or 6k to match the light. I'm sorry, i meant I am lookin at "diamond white" or "Icegerg Blue." My LEDs are "white" but still have a slight blue tint, which I'm not sure if it will match better with 6k or 8k...all i know is 4.3k is too much yellow. The LEDs do not have a temp. rating so I want to get it right the first time. which is why i said that box picture u posted will aid in my decision. Thanks again.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:08 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Snyper thank you very much...until you sit behind my wheel keep your mouth shut rallymini....I have 5% tint all aorund and a 5% strip and a 30% on the windshield.....I can see fine and in fact they are very bright....im trying to get ahold of pictures my digital is messed up

Jack

Old 08-16-2007, 05:12 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
And rally mini quit saying there purple...I went to pre-school and I learned how to tell what color things are...but thanks...and you might wanna get the camber worked out....

Old 08-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
And rally mini quit saying there purple...I went to pre-school and I learned how to tell what color things are...but thanks...and you might wanna get the camber worked out....
hehe don't get your panties in a twist.....if there not the slightest bit purple, then you may have just not gotten the 12000k that you thought you did. Which is good

I'm a bit lost on the camber bit....but okay?

Old 08-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
LMAO thanks for the laugh... BTW snypr I think you'd want at most 6000k as beyond that the color is no longer white but blue-ish. My sister has 6000k's so I know perfectly well what I'm talking about. 5000k is prolly what you're after. I actually still have some brand new 6000k bulbs that I never installed. Bought them for my foglights though, although now I'm thinking about going with 3000k.

Also, at 7000k the lights are blue and at certain angles purple-ish. My friend has these on his car and wants to change 'em out...

Camber is your friend with low offsets

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Just Installed:12000k Bulbs