Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Exterior Door Handle Covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:46 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exterior Door Handle Covers

Hello everyone. I am wondering if anyone has installed the Exterior Door Handle Covers. If so, are they a plastic cover or are they "shrink wrapped" on? TIA

Old 08-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Which ones are you talking about?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:51 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Which ones are you talking about?
The ones that you use to open the door of you MINI

Which ones are there?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:56 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, you COULD be talking about the door handle cups that slide into the depression underneath the handle itself, to protect your paint from keys and hand jewelry.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JustJAY
The ones that you use to open the door of you MINI

Which ones are there?
LOL. Not the handles, the covers...... Handles??? I don't like to get them dirty, so I just crawl in through the boot.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:11 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
Well, you COULD be talking about the door handle cups that slide into the depression underneath the handle itself, to protect your paint from keys and hand jewelry.
Nope, I mean the handles

Originally Posted by LynnEl
LOL. Not the handles, the covers...... Handles??? I don't like to get them dirty, so I just crawl in through the boot.
Ahh I don't care which ones actually. I am considering painting them instead of the actual handles to see if that is easier/better for blacking out the chrome.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:30 AM
MaxMini81
Wanderer
arent they a whole new handle mechanism, rather than a cover?

Old 08-30-2007, 11:42 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxMini81
arent they a whole new handle mechanism, rather than a cover?
As far as I know thats what they always are.

Lagston will wrap them in vinyl, but they still require you to remove the door handle for installment.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:00 AM
Brihyanna
6th Gear
Why can't there be an easy way to black those puppies out without takin' em off? Huh?! WHY!?!?!?

It'd be nice if MINI sold black handles, like the checkered ones and flag ones. I'd buy a set... Too easy.
Instead, I have to fret about painting them. :impatient

Old 01-23-2008, 09:42 AM
GR8KORNHOLIO
1st Gear
aesthetic creations makes a cover that applies to the existing door handle. It's under the carbon fiber section of the list on the left of the website. They come in carbon fiber, gloss black, or primed fiberglass.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:34 AM
jtack
4th Gear
i'm painting mine this weekend! Rough up the chrome, self etching primer, vht bumper satin black...will be doing the side markers and headlight rings too! From what I have gathered here...with REALLY REALLY good prep it should last.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:01 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
the ones on aestheticreations, are those stick on covers or handle replacements? if covers what are the black ones made of?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:13 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SnYpR
the ones on aestheticreations, are those stick on covers or handle replacements? if covers what are the black ones made of?
Covers. Not sure of the materials because they are not here yet.
I did not want to get into removing and replacing the handles so I opted for the covers.
Waiting, waiting, waiting....

Old 01-23-2008, 07:28 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard that removing the handles is a BIG job, and a pita. I'm also on the list for the AE door handle covers.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thulchatt
Covers. Not sure of the materials because they are not here yet.
I did not want to get into removing and replacing the handles so I opted for the covers.
Waiting, waiting, waiting....
good to hear theyre covers. I dont want to remove my handles either. I found a set of chrome covers on eBay for about 70 bucks. may go that option..just paint them black to match the car and stick them on.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
The AC door handle covers are DEFINITELY the way to go! I'm not sure what material they are made out of but they are definitely VERY high quality. You really couldn't ask for anything more - great quality, great looks, and great ease of installation (just peel and stick!).

I think the ones that you can order that are complete replacements - the checkered, union jack, or black jack ones are shrink wrapped to give them that appearance.

Celia

Old 01-24-2008, 12:38 AM
ellistotle
4th Gear
What do you mean by shrink wrapped? The checkered handles are like the checkered mirrors, only in smaller squares.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:43 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Brihyanna
Why can't there be an easy way to black those puppies out without takin' em off? Huh?! WHY!?!?!?

It'd be nice if MINI sold black handles, like the checkered ones and flag ones. I'd buy a set... Too easy.
Instead, I have to fret about painting them. :impatient
I covered mine with them still on the car with 3M flat black vinyl.. Not the easiest job but can be done. Did have to seam it on the bottom side of handle. ( can't see it unless you are looking from ground up ) Also in an area close to the key hole. Plan to redo that one soon to try to get it with out the seem.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:03 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ellistotle
What do you mean by shrink wrapped? The checkered handles are like the checkered mirrors, only in smaller squares.
I purchased a set of the checkered door handles and had them sent to CooperGear so that he could apply his black carbon fiber application to them. He had to prep the handles before he could do anything to them and he told me that he removed the checkers from the handles. Apparently, Mini uses a vinyl shrink wrap material on the handles to give them that look. Blake from CooperGear told me that you could remove the checkered vinyl shrink wrap but not put it back on. The first one he did came off in a bunch of little pieces but the second one he removed came off in almost one solid piece.

Celia

Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 AM
ellistotle
4th Gear
Ohh, good to know. This whole time I thought they were painted on. So long as they stay on and don't fade, I'm a happy customer!

Old 01-27-2008, 01:16 AM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
I've heard that removing the handles is a BIG job, and a pita. I'm also on the list for the AE door handle covers.
It's not really that big of a pain...the first handle is a learning experience, just like anything. The second handle flys buy. You need to have a T-handle 5mm ball joint allen wrench and a ratchet offset screwdriver with allen/torx bits. The ratchet is for the end of the handle towards the front wheel and the ball joint allen is for the end towards the back...you have to pull/peal the rubber surround up to get to this nut/bolt. The only real hard part is getting the wire back in the plastic guide. If you have a couple ounces of patience, it doesn't hurt either. It's one of those jobs where you can't see quite what you're doing, so just close your eyes and get 'er done

Old 09-18-2008, 08:14 PM
rhcp4life
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by HighLife4136
It's not really that big of a pain...the first handle is a learning experience, just like anything. The second handle flys buy. You need to have a T-handle 5mm ball joint allen wrench and a ratchet offset screwdriver with allen/torx bits. The ratchet is for the end of the handle towards the front wheel and the ball joint allen is for the end towards the back...you have to pull/peal the rubber surround up to get to this nut/bolt. The only real hard part is getting the wire back in the plastic guide. If you have a couple ounces of patience, it doesn't hurt either. It's one of those jobs where you can't see quite what you're doing, so just close your eyes and get 'er done
Agreed i added leds to my door handles, and painted them while they where off and i didnt think it was that big of a pita.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Freddie
1st Gear
Originally Posted by wetceal
The AC door handle covers are DEFINITELY the way to go! I'm not sure what material they are made out of but they are definitely VERY high quality. You really couldn't ask for anything more - great quality, great looks, and great ease of installation (just peel and stick!).

I think the ones that you can order that are complete replacements - the checkered, union jack, or black jack ones are shrink wrapped to give them that appearance.

Celia

what do I have to put on the ebay search to find this covers, because I have ben searching and I dont find anything.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Freddie
1st Gear
do cover

Originally Posted by wetceal

Celia

what do I have to put on the ebay search to find this covers, because I have ben searching and I dont find anything.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:45 AM
DjR53
4th Gear
aestheticcreations.net