Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior 05 MCS aftermarket wheels/tires suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 04:36 PM
jontalk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 MCS aftermarket wheels/tires suggestions

I have a 2005 MCS, hyper blue/white top, chrome caps, 17" sport wheels.. I don't want to do any performance mods yet due to the warranty, but would like to know what 17" aftermarket wheels you folks like, as well as what brand and model tires..

I'm in the SF Bay Area and see many local wheel dealers selling brands like ADR, Rota, Akita, Saachi but am unfamiliar with these.. I don't want to spend a fortune as in BBS, but would like something well made and hot looking.. I know forged wheels are always better, but also much more expensive.. What do you look out for when buying wheels/tires for an MCS? Thanks.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:54 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
You might want to check out Rotas if your on a budget. They have the RB's which are very cool and look much like the S lites without the weight. I have two sets of wheels myself. A set of 18" Enkies which I like very much and a set of 16 inch Rota slipstreams for the canyons and long distant travel. I would run on the 16's all the time but I really like the look of my 18's and the ride is about the same as when I had the S lites and runflat combo. The 16's are SO nice to ride on. The thing I really like about Rotas is that they seem to be a very well built wheel and are not that expensive, most are light weight and look really nice (IMOP). If you start looking at the hundreds of post on NAM, you will get a chance to see a bunch of wheels on our cars. Here are a couple of shots of both my wheels set up's.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
I have replaced my 17" S Lites with ASA black rims with a polished lip,really like the effect on my red car.Q

Old 10-01-2007, 07:59 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to look for an hour or more, try this link https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=11362.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 PM
jontalk
2nd Gear
Paulie..which photo has the Rota's, and which the Enkies? I have the 17" sport lights with run flats now.. Are you saying that switching to 16's is better? I think the larger wheels look great, but the ride is pretty harsh when out on the curvy, country roads we have here in No CA..The Mini is a second car, though I drive it more than my BMW 330ci these days.. LOVE motoring!!

I wonder how black rims with a polished lip would look on a hyber blue/white MCS though? On pepper white or red I can see it, but blue? I wonder.. Your MCS looks like the same year, also (2005).. I notice you've done lots of mods so I guess you don't care about the warranty..I've decided to wait until the warranty expires to do the performance stuff.. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:12 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
The top shot are the Rota's. For me, I really like my 16's but I would never say that 16's are better than 15's,17's or 18's. Each wheel size has it's strong points. I myself have a set of 18's which I really like and a set of 16's, They are both very different and that's why I have two sets of wheels. The reason I bought the Rota's is because I was on a major budget (per the Wife) and they met my needs which were, 1. lite weight 2. good looking 3. inexpensive in that order. You should try to get a test drive in some Mini's with different size wheels. That would really be helpfull. You might want to check out Rota's web site as well as all the other dealers and look at the Rota's. They come in many different styles and colors. There are a bunch of cool wheels out there. Get to lookin and good luck with your search for the perfect set of wheels .

P.S As far as "not caring about my warranty" I bought this car to have fun with,thing is, I wanted a bit more fun when I hit a corner or step on the gas . To be honest, the things I've done to my Boo are pretty mild compared to most here on NAM. Don't worry, Be Happy and live your life like there's no tomorrow..... or a warranty !

Originally Posted by jontalk
Paulie..which photo has the Rota's, and which the Enkies? I have the 17" sport lights with run flats now.. Are you saying that switching to 16's is better? I think the larger wheels look great, but the ride is pretty harsh when out on the curvy, country roads we have here in No CA..The Mini is a second car, though I drive it more than my BMW 330ci these days.. LOVE motoring!!

I wonder how black rims with a polished lip would look on a hyber blue/white MCS though? On pepper white or red I can see it, but blue? I wonder.. Your MCS looks like the same year, also (2005).. I notice you've done lots of mods so I guess you don't care about the warranty..I've decided to wait until the warranty expires to do the performance stuff.. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:49 PM
QXXOTIC
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tire choices

Hi.

I have the 205/45-17 Michelin Pilot Exalto PE-2 which offer handling as well as great wear. Not the least expensive but a great fun tire to run through the corners. So far I have about 26K on mine with a LOT left.. They will probably go 50 from the way they look at this point. Check out the reviews on this tire from the net and I think you'll like the comments.

Just my 2 cents worth..

Jim

Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 AM
jontalk
2nd Gear
Thanks guys.. much appreciated.. The cars look great too!