Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Passenger Side Dash Removal '02

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:03 PM
konstantinos88
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger Side Dash Removal '02

Hey guys, I have a 5-piece dash, and I got 4 out of the 5 pieces off. I'm sure you can imagine which one is left: the passenger side airbag cover. Anyone familiar with how to remove this piece? I have removed the 2 screws, and the bottom of it wiggles around, but I do not know how to remove the top of it. My upper dash and glove box are currently removed as well. I just can't see what is holding the top in place--do I just tug on it?

Old 10-18-2007, 03:53 PM
konstantinos88
3rd Gear
Guys, it's imperative that I get this piece off tonight!! Help!!

Old 10-18-2007, 04:03 PM
jlucus245
2nd Gear
well ill try and help.

the top of the dash has to come off there is a bar the is held by 2 bolts which the 2 white straps are wrapped around.

once you get there it should be straight forward..

ill pm my number if you need to call.

hope this helps.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:09 PM
konstantinos88
3rd Gear
I thought so... That bar is holding the white straps which are also connected to the dash panel. The screwdriver is a three-point star, however, and I can't get it off. I will have to stop by Home Depot I guess, unless another screwdriver will work on something like this.

So I guess the only way to get that panel off is to remove the bar and white straps?

Old 10-18-2007, 04:12 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by konstantinos88
I thought so... That bar is holding the white straps which are also connected to the dash panel. The screwdriver is a three-point star, however, and I can't get it off. I will have to stop by Home Depot I guess, unless another screwdriver will work on something like this.

So I guess the only way to get that panel off is to remove the bar and white straps?
Correct, you need to remove the bar. The airbag is there but just work with it. Get the right tools.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:15 PM
konstantinos88
3rd Gear
Minihune, judging from your sig pic, it seems you know what you're talking about! Would the screwdrivers I need be widely available for sale at a local Home Depot?

Old 10-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by konstantinos88
Hey guys, I have a 5-piece dash, and I got 4 out of the 5 pieces off. I'm sure you can imagine which one is left: the passenger side airbag cover. Anyone familiar with how to remove this piece? I have removed the 2 screws, and the bottom of it wiggles around, but I do not know how to remove the top of it. My upper dash and glove box are currently removed as well. I just can't see what is holding the top in place--do I just tug on it?
I posted this on 10/16 in this thread in response to your question. Did this procedure not work for you, or did you not see it??

Get a torx driver and a bit of patience.
You need to remove three screws from the bottom of the airbag cover (don't confuse them with the two or three screws for the glovebox, which are in close proximity) Then remove the top of the dash (two torx on either side, underneath plastic panels which just pull off.) From there there are three more torx on the top, as well as two nylon retention straps that require a 10mm socket - the one on the right is tougher to get to - use an extension.
After ALL the screws are out, lift up on the bottom (if you get any resistance, check for more screws) and the cover will pivot out. Note that in the top are three green plastic screw retention pieces. These just LOVE to fall out and subsequently fall in behind the glovebox :impatient as you wriggle the cover out. Be warned!
Note that it is a breakaway cover, so don't force anything, or you can find it breaking away unexpectedly. Only handle the frame where the screws go through.

Last edited by Eric_Rowland; 10-18-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:08 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Yes, a hardware type store should have the right screw driver tips- you can get a paper and pencil and rub the imprint of the screw head on the paper using the lead.

Here are some instructions on dash removal:
------------
The front/top part of the dash comes off really easy. Pop off the end pieces on each side of the dash that are exposed when you open the door. Then remove the two torx bits on each side. The top/front of the dash can now be removed, giving you access to remove the dash trim.

As for the down tubes, remove the two torx bits on each side, then remove the screw in the cupholders. Pop up the cup holder piece that anchors the down tubes. The dash piece under the steering wheel (not sure how this will work with the parcel shelf) should be removed and the glove box opened. You should now be able to wiggle out the downtubes.
---------------

I would take off the top of the dash first as noted. Open the doors and look at the vertical side panels and remove the few screws. Pry sidewides the verical panels and this allows removal of the top of the dash. Now you have access to the screws from the top of the 5 dash pieces while you can get to the screws from the bottom of the pieces from under the dash.

Start with the airbag piece or the steering wheel piece since they hold in the two side or end pieces. The steering wheel piece is eash with screws from below. The airbag piece has screws from below and from above and has a metal bar with two screws that needs to be taken off from the dash slightly above the dash piece.

There is a cloth that wraps around the metal to deploy the airbag so this metal needs to be loosened to get the dash piece off. Later put it all back together again. You won't trigger the airbag. Once the two inner pieces are removed then the two end pieces are easy. Few screws on the bottom and pull hard to get the pieces out.

The center piece has more screws, two on the top under the plastic lip and more on the front and some from below. The air vents don't need to be removed they come off as one piece. There are about 4 push tabs so yank hard once all the screws are out.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 PM
konstantinos88
3rd Gear
Guys, both minihune and Eric, you were such a great help! The piece is off now. Thanks again!!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:13 AM
konstantinos88
3rd Gear
Ok, so the damage has been done. I had to cut one of the fabric bands holding the airbag cap on, but the other one is still intact. If the airbag possibly deploys and I ever have a passenger in the seat, I don't see there being any real problem. What do you all think? Should I start looking for a new airbag cover?