Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Tail Light Tint vs Reverse Light?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 AM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail Light Tint vs Reverse Light?

I need some feedback from people with tail light tint on an '05 or newer MINI. How did the tint impact you white reverse/back up light? Were there any problems with your state inspection? Have the cops given you a hard time?

I really like the Ruby Red tail light tint, but the more traditional smoked look is cool too.

Attached Thumbnails Tail Light Tint vs Reverse Light?-lagstonps12-full.jpg  
Old 10-23-2007, 09:17 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
I have an 05 with ruby red tail lights from Lagston (vinyl styles) and they cover the reverse light. I have had no problem here in California but we don't have state inspections. I'm guessing that your state law requires you to have a reverse light and have state inspections as well. In that case I'm sure you will have problems with the law. Here in California they stop you for no front license plates more than anything. Here is a shot of my tail lights.

Originally Posted by jaynicholson
I need some feedback from people with tail light tint on an '05 or newer MINI. How did the tint impact you white reverse/back up light? Were there any problems with your state inspection? Have the cops given you a hard time?

I really like the Ruby Red tail light tint, but the more traditional smoked look is cool too.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:08 AM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pauliekeys
I have an 05 with ruby red tail lights from Lagston (vinyl styles) and they cover the reverse light.
Do the reverse lights look red? pink? When lit do they any different than the other tail lights? I'm just thinking about how confusing it may be for someone behind me. Thanks.

BTW, car looks great.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
The whole tail light is coverd so I don't think there is much difference in the illumination. I myself don't rely on the white back up lights but, I'm sure that if someone was behind you and didn't see white lights, they might be confused until they saw you moving backwards LOL. Thanks for the complement about Boo ! I took that picture to show my shaved emblems but I've used it now a couple of times to show of Lagstons work. Here's a shot in the dark with the lights on. No reverse light on but still a good representation of what they look like lit up.

Last edited by pauliekeys; 10-23-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the smoked film (check my gallery). The reverse lights still look white when on. Looking at them, there appears to be very little loss of visibility. But, it is noticeably darker from my perspective when I back out of my driveway. But, I also have 20% tint on my windows.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:46 PM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks great. Where did you get the overlay from? I did the same thing on my Miata to get rid of the amber turn signals. I'd like to do the same on the Mini. Got a link to the location?
Thnks

Originally Posted by pauliekeys
I have an 05 with ruby red tail lights from Lagston (vinyl styles) ..."snip"

Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
I had the work done by (www.lylesvinylstyles.net). This guy does incredible work. He did my ruby red tail lights as well as my head light rings on my Mini. The next things on my list of his blackout pieces are his door handles. The other piece I've been wanting to do is my gas cap lid and Lyle has finally done it. He now raps the gas cap lid. He also offers all of his raps in a bunch of different colors. Look him up, He does great work !

Originally Posted by chpsk8
That looks great. Where did you get the overlay from? I did the same thing on my Miata to get rid of the amber turn signals. I'd like to do the same on the Mini. Got a link to the location?
Thnks