Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Driving lights worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007 | 01:43 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
I always thought the fogs on my wifes Forester were bad, until I got my MINI, now the Forester fogs seem well, adequate. They are more automotive jewelry than a functional light.

Old 11-16-2007 | 02:46 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
I live in the Ottos area as well - drive past it on the backroads every day.

I have the Hella FF 1000 Driving lights on my MCS - I could not be happier. They are much larger than the factory ones, but put out a LOT of light. Enough light that when driving my wife's 05 MCSa it's almost as if the high beams are broken. She mentioned that they seemed weak....and her new Hella 500's are on the workbench for an install this weekend. Picked the 500 for her car as they are MUCH easier to install - no additional "bracket extension" has to be made. Pics of mine are in my gallery.

FWIW - I use my lights almost every time it is dark out - and I am in a much more populated area that Perkasie. Just the fact that we are adding them to the other MINI should give away how much we both like them.

Also, I can not speak to the factory lights (other than they are silly expensive...) but at this point in the game, I am a Hella-Only kind of guy. I have had too many PIAA relays smolder into a steaming pile to **** around with that crap anymore. Hellas are heavy duty...(well, can't talk about the optilux - i think they are PIAA/CATZ category....)

For the Install, I respect the electric thing. I love Ottos, but they are NOT cheap for anything. There is a shop very close to them in West Chester, Bimmer Works, that may do a aftermarket install for you. Owner was a top Ottos tech for years - knows his stuff as far as I can tell. I have the number at work if you would like it.

Also - if you are around the west chester area around 5:00 PM - i would be glad to show you my Hellas...

Old 11-16-2007 | 09:52 AM
fleance
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hemiheaded18
Thanks for the heads up but I loathe electrical work. I'm willing to put in a battery and maybe swap an alternator on a car, but thats it. I hate splicing, running wires, blah blah blah. I know it can't be bad but electricity is not something I can just reach out and grab. Well, without getting jolted. I'll leave any wiring up to someone who is getting paid to do it.
I just installed the Hella Optilux 2500's on my '05 using the Outmotoring brackets (I'm pretty sure they are the OEM brackets). It sounds like you want to operate the lamps seperatly from the high beams (which the dealer will not rig up for you) and this is EASY with that rig. There is no electrical work to speak of. You loosen a grouding nut on the bonnet strut and attatch the ground there and loosen the positive battery access nut and attatch the hot there. Other than that just run the wires under the bonnet shield and other connections are all plug in. Some tape and zip ties and you're done. No splicing and no messy work unless you want 'em tied directly to the headlights/highs. Even if you go slow and methodicaly it won't take you more than 2 hours from start to finish. $50 for lights from Amazon, $50 for the brackets from Outmotoring, couple bucks in hardware from Home Depot, $10 for Guinness and you've still got $700 left in the wallet for more goodies!

-/flea

Matt's outstanding Howto.
My install results.

Old 11-17-2007 | 05:18 AM
Joey D
3rd Gear
I've already used mine a couple of times, but I do drive quite a few back roads. I would like to upgrade them with an HID kit but I don't think it's possible. Maybe I'll try to find some Silverstar bulbs that work in there or something.

Old 11-20-2007 | 12:24 PM
Maskita
1st Gear
Driving lights

Like alot of people, I liked the LOOK of the lights but not the price. And, since I don't do alot of night driving, especially out of the city, I bought a pair without the wiring. I think I paid $50 on Ebay. They had the brackets so even an idiot like me could mount them.. They even came with OEM black covers that I'll probably use in the winter. What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails Driving lights worth it?-dscn0358-1-changed-.jpg  
Old 11-21-2007 | 01:05 PM
hemiheaded18
|
Banned
Originally Posted by Maskita
What do you think?
Good looking lights. Also, you wheels are b1tchin'. I skipped the lights for now. I'll search and see if I can find that Bimmer Works place if I don't end up at Helix sometime.

Old 11-21-2007 | 01:32 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
It depends on your commute.

I have a commute through deer country, where I have the opportunity to use my driving lamps about half the ride home. They have proved to be very useful in spotting deer. I have avoided 3 deer collisions so far, which I attribute to being able to see them well before they were in danger of running in front of my car.

I have "half" of the ALTA kit, and love it. I cannot use the full 4 lights in New York state, because I have to have a front license plate. But the two outer spots nicely book-end my license plate, so I don't mind. Even with just two of the lamps, the light thrown is very helpful. Installation wasn't too hard, with a buddy and plenty of charged-up cordless drill batteries on hand.

I have the clear plastic snap-on lens covers that IPF makes, which click onto the glass lens of the lamp. That's double protection, and I don't have to worry about taking covers off every time I want to use the lamps. That is great! ALTA sells these covers on their web site now, and I highly recommend them as an accessory to these lamps.

Old 11-21-2007 | 03:16 PM
bobwoodly
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 90STX
The factory driving lights DO come on with the high beams, and shut back off when you go to the low beams. The driving lights and the high beams are on at the same time. That all assumes that you have pressed the arming button. The button defaults to "off" when you start the car. Having the driving lights on but not the high beams would be pointless, at least from a functionality standpoint.

While some aftermarket driving lights are probably superior, the factory lights DO make an obvious difference. It's easy to tell, just by turning on the high beams and then arming and disarming the driving lights.

I spend much of the winter months driving back and forth to work on rural highways with litle traffic, and the driving lights and xenons were worth it for me. I'd do it again.

Scott
90SM
Being the ******* that I am and new to my car, where the heck is the "arming button" you mention? I must have missed it when going through the owners manual.

Old 11-21-2007 | 03:20 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
The 'arming button' is to the left of the steering wheel, either in the knee bolster or (if you have it) the cutout on the left of the euro parcel shelf.

With the ignition on, you can 'arm' them by pressing the button. The button has a small green light that will illuminate. When armed, the driving lights will come on with your high beams.

Old 11-21-2007 | 04:00 PM
Motor On
6th Gear

4 Hella 500s the top two straight into the grill, bottom two on custom bracket. Front plate fits onto a tow hook mount, the electrical on these was very simple.

Old 11-21-2007 | 04:43 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Happen to have any pictures of the lower bracket?