Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Laptop Computer Mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:35 AM
mini-bear
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laptop Computer Mount

Does anybody have a solution for mounting a laptop computer in a 2005 MINI? I'd like something easily removable so that if I get bored with the computer I can swap it out for a passenger.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Something like this?

Old 11-03-2007, 07:23 PM
MINICHEF
6th Gear
Something like this:
http://www.mobiledesk.com/

Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ram makes some really nice stuff too.

http://www.ram-mount.com/nodrillsyst...drillbases.htm

Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 AM
mini-bear
2nd Gear
I've seen all of these on the internet, but I'm wondering if any MINI owners have actually used any of them. Some of these tripod-type systems seem to be pretty intrusive and will essentially make it impossible to use the passenger seat. Maybe it's time to build rather than buy.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:27 AM
El_Griton
6th Gear
arnt cell phones problems enough on the road. now we need laptops?

Old 11-08-2007, 12:16 PM
nixjosh2
4th Gear
these def help if you travel and do business a lot, of course not surfing when driving

Old 11-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by El_Griton
+1

Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Snappychip
3rd Gear
Having a computer stand makes working on the road ten times easier, though i think the ones on the market right now aren't really made for the MINI. I bet one could be made that is smaller but yet puts the computer in a good spot to work. I'd think a mount could be done somehow with the front of the passenger seat mount.... I wish i had one when i was in the field on the road 12 hours a day.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:28 AM
mini-bear
2nd Gear
I keep a toolkit in the car when I drive. Does that make you think that I'm overhauling the engine at 70 mph on the freeway, too?

Last edited by mini-bear; 11-10-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:29 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
is your tool kit riding shotgun? will the computer?

Old 11-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
is your tool kit riding shotgun? will the computer?
I keep screw drivers a torx set and some pliers in arms reach not to mention tire guage and flashlight.

Maybe he's using the laptop for GPS, I know I have If not get a good visual of me hanging out the drivers side window on a sunny day trying to get the tire pressure off the left front as it spins,think of it as an active TPMS for the R53

Old 11-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mini-bear
I've seen all of these on the internet, but I'm wondering if any MINI owners have actually used any of them. Some of these tripod-type systems seem to be pretty intrusive and will essentially make it impossible to use the passenger seat. Maybe it's time to build rather than buy.
From what I've read the ones thatblot under the seat and have another attach point along the console are least interfering with passenger seat use, and bolting is realatively easy to remove if need be.

And from experiance, Ram mount in a crown vic leaves room for the passenger but its an akward fit.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:26 AM
mini-bear
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Zyamfier
Something like this?
I ended up buying one of these RAM-Mount computer mounting systems. I'm working on the installation now, but one thing is notable. The three tripod legs look to be typical gooseneck bendable tubes, but they're not. They're 3/8" solid aluminum tubes that have to be bent into place and then covered with the black plastic covers. I'm not sure whether I'm installing a computer mount or a roll cage!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:17 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An alternative to a laptop....

Laptops are too big, bulky, and dangerous. Ever heard what a laptop sounds like when it's sitting on your passenger seat and you come to a sudden stop, sending your $2000 laptop into the passenger footwell?? It's a terrible crunching/crashing/cracking sound. Not to mention a liability--what if you get into an accident and your laptop is on even if you weren't using it?? There was an accident a few months back of a guy who rammed straight into a semi and died--his laptop was on and police believed he was surfing the net when he crashed.

I get a lot of emails and PMs and the way I deal with them is by making it as easy and safe for me to reply wherever I am. When I'm in the car, I've got a TMobile Wing that I mount on the windshield like this. It runs Windows Mobile 6 Professional and with all my apps, means I use my laptop mostly for doing Photoshop and memory intensive applications. With its touch screen I can navigate the screen using this finger tip stylus--no need to mess with pulling out a stylus or getting frustrated that I can't push the right button.

For replies, I have this bluetooth keyboard--allowing me to type wirelessly on a full size keyboard.

It has a flip up holder for holding your PDA but it's easily removed.

I might just reply with the keyboard on the passenger seat--typing one handed---WHILE I'M STOPPED AT A STOP LIGHT OR ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD--never while I'm moving.

I've considered mounting it here, but it would still mean I could only type one handed. The best location is in my lap where I can type two handed, and because I type fast, I can whip out a reply pretty darn quickly.

A closeup of the True Tip stylus over my driving glove.

And adjusted to fit over my finger instead of the glove.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:05 AM
mini-bear
2nd Gear
My current setup is a Sprint PPC-6700 mounted on the dashboard, running WM-5 along with my GPS system. Unfortunately, it can't handle the 1/2 terabyte database I need in the car. I'm in the investment real estate business, and I keep all of the property ownership data for North Texas on my laptop system. (BTW, it's not for use while driving...I typically stop in front of a property and do my research and contacts from there).

One thing I found out after mounting the RAM-Mount is that you DO NOT want the swing arm system. The picture in my last post shows the correct one, which is the ball-mount. I ordered the swing-mount because I thought it was more flexible. It's not. There's not enough room in the MINI for the swing-arm. Use the double-ball mount instead, and mount it low, down beside the console on the passenger side. That way it doesn't interfere too much with the passenger, it's low enough to reduce glare on the computer screen, and more importantly, the laptop does not block the passenger side airbag. I can just imagine what a laptop would do if it were to be propelled into somebody's face by an airbag. Also, it doesn't look too ugly when the computer is removed, and doesn't have a 3-inch spike left sticking up where the passenger can hit it in a panic stop, like the swing-arm system does.

The computer holder in the RAM-Mount is pretty bulky and big, and I'm considering molding a custom carbon fiber holder that is molded to match the contours of my laptop. The RAM-Mount holder weighs more than my laptop.

And BTW, I just ordered four of the True-Tip Styli. Looks like a handy (pun intended) gadget. Thanks.

Last edited by mini-bear; 11-28-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:41 AM
mini-bear
2nd Gear
I spent several days playing with the RAM-Mount but finally came to the conclusion that whatever I did, it was going to intrude upon the passenger's legroom/thigh-room. Even when the mount and computer was removed, the mounting tripod and mounting ball would still be in place, making it really uncomfortable for a passenger.

I finally changed direction and went with an Auto Exec computer desk. It mounts in the front passenger seat and provides lots of room for writing and computing. It just sits in the seat (eliminating any vibration problems) and is held in place by the seatbelt/harness. When I have a passenger aboard, the desk goes into the back seat and the passenger can hold my computer if needed.

This thing fits like it's made for a MINI.

http://www.yourmobiledesk.com/produc...ID=na&mfrID=49

Last edited by mini-bear; 12-17-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:13 AM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been looking at the Mobile Desk for my work car.
Did you get the power converter?

T

Old 12-17-2007, 11:18 AM
H.A.W.G.
5th Gear
can we see some pics of it in the car

Old 12-17-2007, 04:52 PM
mini-bear
2nd Gear
I already had a 400 watt inverter, so I didn't need theirs, but it looks like a slick installation. Only thing I'd do different is to go for the rubberized surface on the entire desk (an extra $10 or so) to hold things in place. I put down some double-stick velcro that holds the laptop in place, even with somewhat spirited driving.

All but their smallest desks are based on the same plastic tub, so I wouldn't spring for the more expensive models that have sliding tops and desktop extensions. There's not enough room in the MINI for them anyway.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow in the light.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:42 AM
mini-bear
2nd Gear
Pictures of AutoExec computer desk

Last edited by mini-bear; 12-19-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:11 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Thanks for the pictures - just confirms that the mobile desk is what I need.

Tim

Old 12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
ggoldberg1340
1st Gear
I used the mobile desk for a while and it was great , i added velcro pads to keep it secure .
I then up graded to a Fujitsu life book..Intel Processor A110 800MHz, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 40GB Hard Drive, 5.6" WSVGA Crystal View Touch Screen Display, 0.3MP Camera, 10/100 LAN, 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth, Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Processor A110 800MHz, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 40GB Hard Drive, 5.6" WSVGA Crystal View Touch Screen Display, 0.3MP Camera, 10/100 LAN, 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth, Windows Vista Home Premium...bought a mount that took the place of the cup holder and mounted it with a ram two piece arm ...and i can remove it and put in the glove box .........the desk was too big to store and this works great .....i do hate the vista program

Fujitsu Computer Systems LifeBook U810 Intel Processor A110 800MHz Mini-Notebook FPCM21341