Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Swapping out OEM seats.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:21 PM
docroy2
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping out OEM seats.

Hello:
My back and my OEM seats in my '04 MCS don't seem to get along. I've tried all the adjustments, and it just doesn't seem to be a position of comfort. I have several other cars I use when commuting to work, an hour each way, and never seem to have any problems. The cars all have sport bucket seats with lumbar, front bolsters, and the works. Are there aftermarket seats that are more comfortable than the OEM? I've seen the JCW seats, and they look great. Any experience with these or other brands?
Thanks

'04 Dark Silver and Black, 15% redux pulley, Milltek Sport exhaust, DDM cold air, M7 front strut support, Carbon Fiber Scoop and Mirrors, GrillCraft black lower grill.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:42 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
I have the same problems with my 04 MCS's seats. I just can't seem to get them right. I wonder if there is a definitive seat thread somewhere?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not really...

the JCWs don't come to the US because they don't pass the side impace regs for street seats. Most who have swapped do it to go for a more performance oriented/race seat. I was at SEMA this year, and Recaro is selling seats from improved street(ish) to full on carbon fiber race.

What I've never seen (Doesn't mean that they aren't there) is aftermarket seats that have the side bolster airbags. Maybe the non sport seats would be more to your liking? Give them a try, as they'd be a straight swap, airbag (and maybe even heater) equipped!

Let me know what you all find....

Matt

Old 11-19-2007, 12:49 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that you guys just started it.

I have some back problems(yes I am too young), but it is hereditary. I have found the OEM sport seats to be quite comfortable for myself though.
Good luck to you guys, and I have heard some great things about the adjustable back COBRA seats.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Dr Obnxs- I do love Recaro seats as well. Very comfortable to all out performance, these seats are amazing.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:20 PM
trackster
5th Gear
The best thing you can do is try to find a local high performance shop that may stock aftermarket seats and go test them out. I have seen Recaro, Sparko,Status,Cobra,Bride,Corbeau and quite a few off brands in minis. Just find one that feels best to you and most likely they can be made to fit. you could aslo wander around at any Mini meet and most likely find a few that you could take a " test fit " in as well.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
the stock seats just don't cut it for comfort on long drives. maybee when my 05 is paid off i will swap in a set of recaro's w/o airbags and enjoy the creature comforts of a good seat that came stock on VW's made in the 80's

Old 11-19-2007, 05:02 PM
docroy2
Neutral
I'll be lookin'

Thanks for the support (pun intended), with the seats. I wonder if seat makers offer a 90 day trial like mattress makers?

Old 11-19-2007, 05:50 PM
MisterMINI
2nd Gear
A seat that has a really god reputation for comfort, style, etc.. is the Cobra Misano.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...a/cobra-street

I know there are MINI owners that have installed them; in fact I just put a thread out yesterday asking for feedback on any issues that I should be aware of.

So far as choosing the right seat for you, HMS Motorsport has a 'How to choose a seat for your car' document that you might find useful.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Ho...ose_A_Seat.pdf

Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 AM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Originally Posted by vdubdoug
the stock seats just don't cut it for comfort on long drives. maybee when my 05 is paid off i will swap in a set of recaro's w/o airbags and enjoy the creature comforts of a good seat that came stock on VW's made in the 80's
You make a very good point. I used to have an 83 VW Quantum Coupe with the stock Recaro seats. It was amazingly comfortable. The seats also had a dial on the side for adjusting the seat back position. It drives me insane that the MINI lacks such a simple device on it's seats.

Looks like I am going to have to start saving my pennies for an after market seat.

Anyone know what kind of insurance hit you take for removing an airbag from the car?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 AM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
I've heard the Mitsubishi Evo "Recaro" seat works well in our Mini's as far as fit and is very comfortable, reclining etc you could find an Evo in a sales lot and take for a test drive to feel the seat out? I had problems witht he side bolster in the base of my stock seat, really killed my thighs so I took out the metal bar and it feels much better now. I believe PGT has the Evo seats:

PGT hope this is okay to post your pic?

Last edited by #20Works4me; 11-20-2007 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 AM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ovrezee
I've heard the Mitsubishi Evo "Recaro" seat works well in our Mini's as far as fit and is very comfortable, reclining etc you could find an Evo in a sales lot and take for a test drive to feel the seat out? I had problems witht he side bolster in the base of my stock seat, really killed my thighs so I took out the metal bar and it feels much better now.
I thought about the EVO seats before, they are the best stock seat I have ever been in. I've been looking but haven't found ones that costs less than a new Recaro.

don't like how the bolster digs into my thigh either. What bar did you take out?. I After you removed it did you slide around on the seat?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:48 AM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RussellCory
I thought about the EVO seats before, they are the best stock seat I have ever been in. I've been looking but haven't found ones that costs less than a new Recaro.

don't like how the bolster digs into my thigh either. What bar did you take out?. I After you removed it did you slide around on the seat?
My pain in the side of my legs was getting almost intolerable as I have a sciatic muscle problem, what you are feeling is a metal bar. I removed the seat, then removed the sliders, the seat material has a few plastic clips that need to be removed, but don't remove the whole fabric just the sides so you can access the foam pad, this will enable you to lift off the whole seat cushion away from the seat frame and meshing. Here's the scary part, feel from underneath for the bars make an incision with an exacto knife and pull on the bar keep making incisions along the bars path and pulling. It's shaped like a rear sway bar that runs accross the front of the seat and the end have loops to form the bolster, once it is removed I pushed back in some dense foam and then duc taped the bottom and put it all back in reverse order. The shape stayed perfect and I have no more pain!!!!! I hope this helps you, I'm sorry I didn't take any pics, I'm considering also doing the passenger side but it's not vital so I may or may not do it, if I do I'll take pics, good look. No sliding around in the seat at all , infact this has been about 6 months since I did this and the seat hasn't changed at all.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:19 AM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Thanks for the info Ovrezee!

Old 11-20-2007, 11:25 AM
MisterMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RussellCory

Anyone know what kind of insurance hit you take for removing an airbag from the car?
Somebody raised this point with me as a caution before replacing the stock seats. I haven't looked into it with my insurance company, but I believe there should be no hit. I remember when we were buying a new car for my wife, we decided on the car but weren't sure which spec to buy. I obtained insurance quotes and there was no difference between the 2 specs, even though one had seat airbags and the other didn't.

However, it would still be a good idea to inform the insurance company of what you've done to avoid any problems, should you need to make a claim.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Having seen what my local auto upholsterer can do ..... why not see whats available to you in the yellow pages.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:39 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I talked with a local airbag installer who told me that it's against the law to tamper with the airbags--meaning you couldn't hire someone to swap your seats legally--even if they are from different MINI's--due to the liability involved should those airbags not deploy for any reason. Even with that in mind, I bought a set of leatherette seats to replace my cloth seats---but have yet to install them.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Speedwing
Having seen what my local auto upholsterer can do ..... why not see whats available to you in the yellow pages.
Hey, it's Joe,
What did you have done & where? I have been thinking about getting my front seats done, maybe with matching door inserts.

Thanks

Old 11-22-2007, 06:52 AM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
I talked with a local airbag installer who told me that it's against the law to tamper with the airbags--meaning you couldn't hire someone to swap your seats legally--even if they are from different MINI's--due to the liability involved should those airbags not deploy for any reason.
Sounds more like a local airbag installer who doesn't like to swap seats because HE (or she) is AFRAID of potential civil liabilities (as opposed to fear of criminal prosecution).

If I want my seats swapped -- or my head transplanted for that matter -- I should be able to sign a waiver that states I'm in my right mind, and understand the potential risks, and want to do it ANYWAY (thus protecting the seller of the seat swapping service from civil liability).

I can certainly believe that the nanny state of CA (I live here) might have a law on the books that FORBIDS "consenting adults" from having their seats swapped, but it doesn't make sense to me (in fact, to me it is immoral and unethical) for the state to intrude into my life in this (or any other) matter that does no harm to others. If the state wanted to eliminate "risky" behaviors, there are a whole lot of things it should get to forbidding BEFORE seat swapping.

WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that living leads to dying, and sometimes even serious injury.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:13 AM
MisterMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by markldriskill
Sounds more like a local airbag installer who doesn't like to swap seats because HE (or she) is AFRAID of potential civil liabilities (as opposed to fear of criminal prosecution).

If I want my seats swapped -- or my head transplanted for that matter -- I should be able to sign a waiver that states I'm in my right mind, and understand the potential risks, and want to do it ANYWAY (thus protecting the seller of the seat swapping service from civil liability).

I can certainly believe that the nanny state of CA (I live here) might have a law on the books that FORBIDS "consenting adults" from having their seats swapped, but it doesn't make sense to me (in fact, to me it is immoral and unethical) for the state to intrude into my life in this (or any other) matter that does no harm to others. If the state wanted to eliminate "risky" behaviors, there are a whole lot of things it should get to forbidding BEFORE seat swapping.

WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that living leads to dying, and sometimes even serious injury.
Well said .

Although you might want to reconsider the use of the words, HE and SHE because CA, in their infinite wisdom, have decided it is discriminatory to make any reference to a persons sex on the ID cards they are in the process of implementing. WHAT ON EARTH ARE THESE PEOPLE SMOKING?

Old 11-22-2007, 09:29 AM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MisterMINI
WHAT ON EARTH ARE THESE PEOPLE SMOKING?
Probably, they are smoking pot -- imported, most likely. Which is one MORE thing that should NOT be prohibited, other than keeping tokers off the road (and from other activities that could harm others) if they're impaired (same as with alcohol).

Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by markldriskill
Probably, they are smoking pot -- imported, most likely. Which is one MORE thing that should NOT be prohibited, other than keeping tokers off the road (and from other activities that could harm others) if they're impaired (same as with alcohol).
To get even further off topic...There have been news articles that since the CAN and US dollar have reached some parity it's no longer profitable to import from BC and it's having a negative effect on the BC economy.