Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Storage

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003 | 07:14 AM
Jonathan
|
2nd Gear
I was wanting to add some storage space to my car. I saw on MiniMania they had a shelf device that looks like it right below the window switches. The pictures is below. Does anyone have it? Does it work well? Does it look nice? How does that compare to the European shelf that you can get from ClassicMini? Any other suggestions? Thanks alot.

Jonathan

Old 07-03-2003 | 07:15 AM
Jonathan
|
2nd Gear
The picture didn't work, but here is the link to the website. Sorry. http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/NMI4102/InvDetail.cfm

Jonathan

Old 07-03-2003 | 07:22 AM
HARMINI
5th Gear

Ta da!!

Actually, this is just another hot pocket kind of thingie. Not big enough to hold more than a pair of sunglasses, etc.

The Euro parcel shelf is a MUST have. It tucks away neatly under the steering wheel and is very useful, not only for parcels, but for PDAs, wallets, cell phones <<< I fit one of each with room to spare.

Cheers,
Kim

Old 07-03-2003 | 07:22 AM
Darxar
4th Gear
I have one, got mine from RSpeed, love it, its very handy, also they make a glovebox one thats nice, keeps things from moving around.

Old 07-03-2003 | 07:41 AM
lupmini
1st Gear
It is neat but I won't like to spend that amount of $$ for the shelf!!

Old 07-03-2003 | 07:45 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE

>>
>>Ta da!!
>>
>>The Euro parcel shelf is a MUST have. It tucks away neatly under the steering wheel and is very useful, not only for parcels, but for PDAs, wallets, cell phones <<< I fit one of each with room to spare.
>>

after seeing yours, i must have one

Old 07-03-2003 | 08:13 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
The Euro Parcel shelf is a MUST! Well worth the cost, and you can save about 30 bux if you eliminate the rubber pad, though the pad is contoured to hold items from sliding during spirited cornering.

If you're like me, any open corner is taken 'spiritedly'!

My shelf has already been subject to a couple of my own mods already. These should have been factory standard!

Old 07-03-2003 | 08:39 AM
fms
5th Gear
I bought some thick lattice type black foam shelf liner (it comes in rolls), cut some to fit my shelf and it works quite well for keeping things from sliding around. The pad is pretty spendy.

Old 07-03-2003 | 08:49 AM
jerrygee
4th Gear
Greatbear is correct; the Euro parcel panel is a must have. I also have the "Cubby holder" that goes behind the switches. Doesn't hold much but it does utilize that wasted space well. The glove box organizer is another worthwhile option. But the most bang for the buck is the Euro shelf.

Old 07-03-2003 | 09:15 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I have the glovebox organizer...it was a necessity for me as stuff just falls out of the glovebox too easily. But a parcel shelf would not work for me as I hate having stuff cluttering my MINI interior. If its in the MINI...its in the glovebox!!! I recognize this isn't everybody's personal peeve, but it is mine, so if you're not into clutter, do two things...1) get the glove box organizer, and 2) cut down on the size and amount of the stuff you need at hand. (...and put the rest in the boot.) BTW, I don't even keep anything in the door pockets either. :smile:

Old 07-03-2003 | 11:38 AM
Jonathan
|
2nd Gear
Does the shelf take away any leg room. I am 6'3'' and need most of the leg room. Is it hard to install? Do you have to have it done professionally?

Also, does anyone have the web address to Classic Mini so I can see how much the shelf costs and everything and maybe order it? I can't seem to find the website. Thanks for your advice.

Jonathan

Old 07-03-2003 | 11:48 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
If anything, the parcel shelf ADDS legroom! I can't believe I went for so long without it. It really multiplies the amount of handy storage space in the car. I discovered the other day that a whole spindle of 50 CDS will fit on the left side!

I don't know that Classic has a website, but if you go to the "vendor announcements" forum (I think that's what it's called), they have a thread on there that contains their phone number, which is how you can order it. As I recall, it was around $71 with shipping, but that's including the heavy rubber pad, which someone said accounts for $27 of the cost.

The install was pretty easy. The hardest part was believing that the factory bolster piece pops out without breaking, just by pulling on it. Once that's done, there are two small metal clips to slide onto the plastic around predrilled holes, and a few screws that some people have found tricky to align. Mine was no problem for some reason. If you do a forum search, there's another thread where a couple of people helped me out with very detailed directions (since Classic doesn't send any ).

Borla exhaust, Moss intake, Magnecor

Old 07-03-2003 | 01:58 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
>>Does the shelf take away any leg room. I am 6'3'' and need most of the leg room. Is it hard to install? Do you have to have it done professionally?
>>
>>Also, does anyone have the web address to Classic Mini so I can see how much the shelf costs and everything and maybe order it? I can't seem to find the website. Thanks for your advice.
>>
>>Jonathan

Jonathan, I'm also large (well, XXL actually) and no, the shelf doesn't take away any legroom. It replaces the curved part under the steering wheel with a part that has that outward curve removed. It truly DOES give more legroom. I did the installation in about 20 mins. I found that hardest part was getting the bottom "hinge" parts off and on. Line the bolster up so that it's horizontal and pull pretty hard. Reverse to install the shelf.

Brian at Classic Auto Campus is great! To contact him, near the top of every page on MCO is a link to the sponsor directory, click on that, then click on Classic Auto Campus.

Or you can click here to go straight there.

LY/B MCS, black scoop & bonnet stripes. MINIAC plates.