Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Complete interior make-over

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:22 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Man that is what I am talking about with our indi blue ext. and lapis interior.I am sold on that. I was thinking about blue suede, but thought it would not look right. This is just amazing.
Chris.

Originally Posted by 03Indigo
same thing, just a different variation....I think the B pillars were the hardest, complete PITA.

thanks for the inspiration to get my project going. I had been "working on it" for months before you all posted up this thread...finally got around to the first part, head liner and pillars.

Old 01-21-2008 | 11:34 PM
jerjer
4th Gear
and i believe someone mention on here that the anthracite pieces are quite expensive.

Old 01-22-2008 | 04:07 AM
pimpedout97x
|
6th Gear
nice. i think you should dye those pieces on the headliner

Old 01-22-2008 | 05:39 AM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SnYpR
I cant really understand why my interior is so dark on the lower half and almost white form the pillars up.
It's an old interior design trick that makes the inside appear larger than it actually is. Kinda like painting the celling in a room lighter than the walls.

Old 01-22-2008 | 06:27 AM
pimpedout97x
|
6th Gear
it works too kinda lol. my interior looks smaller now with all black interior.

Old 01-22-2008 | 06:42 AM
greengobln
5th Gear
but it looks great!

Old 01-22-2008 | 06:57 AM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pimpedout97x
it works too kinda lol. my interior looks smaller now with all black interior.
It sure does! That's why I'm worried about getting my widows tinted…

Old 01-22-2008 | 10:09 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Has anyone ever thought of "quilting" the headliner like Ferrari
That is exactly what I plan to do when I get it done.

Old 01-23-2008 | 11:11 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisMCS04
Has anyone ever thought of "quilting" the headliner like Ferrari
That is exactly what I plan to do when I get it done.
Any pics? Not sure what you're talking about...

Are there any How-To's for taking the headliner off? The factory headliner is beginning to come undone so I'm considering maybe re-doing it in an anthracite Alcantara...

Last edited by Wake|MCS; 01-23-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2008 | 03:58 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Here is the headliner "quilt" that I am talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=005

Old 01-23-2008 | 04:23 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
I did not see a how to anywhere when I did mine, but I do have a Bently, so that helped. You need to basically tear out the entire interior to do it. Starting with the back plastic panel on in the boot, then the rear seats, then the rear side interior panels. From there you can pull out the a,b,c pillars. Careful doing that, the metal clips that hold them in are a PITA. The c pillar has 4 clips, one of them is an airbag tether, meaning it has a small nylon loop that attaches the trim to the metal clip in the body of the car. I used a sharp exacto blade to get in there and cut it. Then you need to undo the seat belts in the back, the lower more forward position, it takes a big torx bit. Then you can slide the pillar off the belt. Same thing with the b pillar, but there is only one phillips screw on the bottom holding it in place. Then it slides down and inwards in the car. Also undo the seat belt rail. There is a bolt on the front of the rail, also a torx bit, the belt loop will fit over the bolt, slide that off then you can feed the belt out of the b pillar. For the a pillar, there are 3 metal clips. But first, you need to remove the dash cover. There are 2 torx bolts on each side of the dash under the black plastic side panels that just pop out. Undo those bolts and the dash cover comes right out. Then start pulling at the bottom of the a pillar, there are 3 of those stinking metal clips. The top 2 have the nylon tethers, i reached in there as well and cut those as well. The bottom of the a pillar has 2 vertical tabs that slide into the dash base, so as you get it all loose, you need to pull it straight up to get it to come free. The tabs are about 3/8" high, so it has to come up quite a bit. Once all that stuff if off, you get to pull the interior trim pieces off the car, starting with door moldings, and boot molding....the rubber seals. Then pop off the covers to the rear handles, they are attached via a thin plastic hinge on the outer edges (front and back) and pop off more on the inside of the handle, at the base where they meet the headliner. I used a thin screwdriver with a taped edge to pry them open. they open like clam shells to the outside of the handle...kinda like a 2 sided draw bridge. If that makes sense. The hinges for the covers are on the "banks" and the handle is the middle of the river. There are just 2 phillips screws holding them in. If you have a sun roof, you need to pull of the black plastic rings, the come out pretty easy. There is a wire connecting the roof control on the front piece, just disconnect the wire and it will come out easy. One of those quick connect things. Then the mirror. grab the base, when looking up at the headliner, back of the car is 12 o'clock and the front of the car is 6 o'clock, turn the entire mirror counter-clockwise, about 90 degrees and it will pop off. Make sure you are grabbing the base so as not to snap the mirror off the pivot. Then the visors. I used a small razor blade to reach into the little plugs, 2 on the main mount, one on the clip. pop those out and then you will see the corresponding phillips screws. they are wired, just pull gently and you will see the clip, take that apart. There is cloth tape on the wire, you won't need to undo that, just unclip it, one for each side of the car. Depending on the year, the clock is different. For mine, I pulled the headliner down, the clock is fitted into the headliner, I went slow and was able to unplug the wire from it, but left the clock in place for the time being. For the center dome light, it has 2 plugs that clip it in place, holding the center of the headliner in place. I just pulled and it came free. You can also pull the plastic light covers off and then un-do the phillips screws and the cover will come out, freeing the headliner. Either way works. On the rear in the center, there is a funky cover about where the antenna is. not sure what that is for, mine was empty, but had a wire connection in a plastic dummy plug. I just pulled that domed square cover off and slid the black wire clip out. Then I gently pulled the headliner down, making sure not to put a crease in it. To get it out of the car, I put the seats all the way forward. lowered the headliner, dropped the left side/driver side all the way down and held the right side/passenger side up and pulled slowly out through the rear hatch.

OK, there you have it. hope that makes sense . That is what I did...to the best of my recollection, hehe.
that's a doozy of a post

Old 01-23-2008 | 04:29 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Thanks for the write-up!

Sounds like a lot of work. I guess you could start one weekend taking bits and pieces off each day. And then re-assemble the same way, in bits and pieces. Is that what you all did, or did you just do it all in one shot?

Now, for the actual gluing of the headliner. Do you take the factory cloth off and then just glue the new material on? Or is there more work required?

Old 01-23-2008 | 04:44 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Now I'm jealous. I really want to change my interior but I was thinking of painting my dash, downtubes, etc. Indi Blue to match my body color. I might do that and add the custom headliner. Looks very nice 03INDIGO! So you used contact cement gel to apply the suede to the headliner? Did you just lay it over the old headliner?

Old 01-23-2008 | 07:53 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
yup, read the post above
HaHa I missed the entire "left the felt on" part! Thanks 03Indigo! Def. something I'll be looking into do for a spring/summer project. One more question - can you adjust the height of where your seatbelt comes out still even with the suede. I was thinking bout painting mine body color but the might not make the blue suede exactly and look off...

Last edited by MNEEME; 01-23-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2008 | 09:04 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Did you guys use Alcantara or some other faux suede? I was wondering if anyone knew the cheapest place to get some? Also, exactly how much would be needed to do the headliner, wrap all the pillars, the downtubes, and the small pad on the door handle? I figured 3 yards would suffice?

And yet another question, my factory headliner is beginning to come off and I can tell the factory glue is already giving in some spots; I would have to tear off the old cloth and lay the Alcantara on the actual panel correct? Is some sort of padding necessary?

What padding could I buy to get the "quilt" effect. Will be attempting this with some leftover Alcantara and silver contrast stitching on my doors sometime.

Last edited by Wake|MCS; 01-28-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-28-2008 | 11:54 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Thanks for the tips. I do have a sunroof so I'm not too concerned about sagging.

Big difference in price with Alcantara being nearly $100/yd.

One more question, I think, what are you all using to "dye" the pillars? I'll need to dye all the headliner parts (clock, dome lights, oh shyt handles, etc.)

Old 01-28-2008 | 01:00 PM
shooler
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wake|MCS
Thanks for the tips. I do have a sunroof so I'm not too concerned about sagging.

Big difference in price with Alcantara being nearly $100/yd.

One more question, I think, what are you all using to "dye" the pillars? I'll need to dye all the headliner parts (clock, dome lights, oh shyt handles, etc.)
I just ordered the anthracite pieces from Mini. That way all the interior trim pieces are a consistent color. If you choose to paint, I highly recommend SEM trim paint for color and durability.

Old 01-28-2008 | 01:55 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by shooler
I just ordered the anthracite pieces from Mini. That way all the interior trim pieces are a consistent color. If you choose to paint, I highly recommend SEM trim paint for color and durability.
I'd have to just paint them in order to cut down costs. The only thing I could see myself buying are the visors and those are already pricey. None of those trim pieces ever get touched so I'm not worried about the paint fading out or anything. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-29-2008 | 10:29 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Man another immaculate job
I am getting jealous, I cannot wait for my interior to be done!

Old 01-29-2008 | 07:22 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Yea the blue/black faux suede looks much better. Not really feeling the chrome though.

Old 01-29-2008 | 07:46 PM
CHILE_RED
3rd Gear
I love the chrome it gives it an older more luxurious look..... TWO THUMBS UP!!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2008 | 08:24 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
I needed the chrome to fill in the space between the 2 materials, the blue and black. It is more of a brushed chrome. Very hard to take a good pic of, but in person, it divides them up really well. Not for everyone, but I have some accent/contrast left in the car, so I wanted to carry it over into the side panels, that and the silver speaker grills
It doesn't look bad, if it looks like a brushed aluminum in person then that's pretty slick. I actually really like the way your interior is coming out, looks sick. MUCH better than what you had previously IMO.

What are you doing on the door panels and carpet/floor trim. Seems you got rid of most of the tan in the interior so I assume you'll be changing things up there as well?

Since you've had the door cards off, would it be easy to get to the inside (behind the arm rest) to lay some suede over that? I'm really wanting to tackle that project as a start to a more complete interior makeover. Thanks.

Last edited by Wake|MCS; 01-29-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2008 | 08:11 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Perfect execution, you make it sound so easy, is it really as easy as you say?

The chrome is actually growing on me, it does add a little touch of 'class' to it. The black/blue goes perfect with each other.

I'm curious about the quality of the suede, I've only had experience with Alcantara in the past, which is quite expensive to be using on the headliner. Is the suede you purchased of good quality? I'm thinking of getting Alcantara for the armrest and pillars but then using a cheaper ultrasuede for the headliner itself. It's just gotta look all the same once installed.

Old 01-30-2008 | 10:28 AM
frenchie
4th Gear
Does anyone have any concerns about keep the suede headliner clean? My original headliner now has some discoloration from road grime, me being a smoker does not help either.

Old 01-30-2008 | 10:59 AM
frenchie
4th Gear
Any chance you may have pictures / instructions on the headliner removal process?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Complete interior make-over