Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior BMW Shift Knobs

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:40 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW Shift *****

Hey guys,

So, BMW shift ***** all mount onto the base the same way...pressure, and are all removed the same way...through force.

So can you put BMW shift ***** on Mini Coopers?

I'd love to put one of the all-leather, non-metallic, angled ***** on my car. Something similar to this:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TIN9970000

I'd really prefer to use the current mounting method on any new **** (no screws please), so if there are other brands that look the same, I'd totally be open to it.

- Matt

Last edited by verveAbsolut; 12-01-2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Retarded grammar. Jesus, man.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 PM
PortMCS
5th Gear
Nice!

Ive often wondered the same thing. Id like something that fits the contours of the hand better, unlike the stock ****.

I would really love one of these if they would fit the MINI

http://www.bavauto.com/lview.asp?img...00/gscfch4.jpg

Old 12-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Mrono
3rd Gear
same, my right hand hurts if i've been doing more then an hour of driving straight.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see why they wouldnt fit... I have both a BMW and a Mini. Im too lazy to pull my UUC Motorwerks shift **** off to find out though. Sorry.....

Old 12-01-2007, 09:55 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by UKSUV
I see why they wouldnt fit... I have both a BMW and a Mini. Im too lazy to pull my UUC Motorwerks shift **** off to find out though. Sorry.....
Now that's just rude.

- Matt

Old 12-01-2007, 10:16 PM
mach schnell
4th Gear
Yes the Cooper shift lever utilizes the same locking mechanism for it's shift ***** - so all shift ***** that fit on say the e46 models would fit. just pull like hell straight up to get the MCS **** off and then push the new one down.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mach schnell
Yes the Cooper shift lever utilizes the same locking mechanism for it's shift ***** - so all shift ***** that fit on say the e46 models would fit. just pull like hell straight up to get the MCS **** off and then push the new one down.
You think the diameter of the shafts will be a problem (note that they may be the same size...I am just unaware)?

- Matt

Old 12-01-2007, 11:19 PM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If your looking for something similar to the BMW shift **** check out the ones at:
Bimmian.com

Old 12-02-2007, 01:03 AM
mach schnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by verveAbsolut
Now that's just rude.

- Matt
I think so - it looked the same as my prev 330ci shift lever when I recently removed the MCS shift **** I have. Go to BMW dealership, pop off your MCS **** and tell parts you just wanna see if the bimmer **** will slip over the lever (but that you won't actually lock it on). If it slides over, then it shouldn't be a prob locking it on.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For those who don't like the feel of the stock ****, there are some alteratives. For one, wood feels much better than the stock plastic. Secondly, I've been experimenting with a variety of shapes inspired by the handles used in some Le Mans race cars.

http://www.robincasady.com/ShiftKnobs/Shapes.html

Old 12-02-2007, 10:38 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Whalen FTW.

-Cody

Old 12-02-2007, 10:50 AM
PortMCS
5th Gear
Whalen are nice looking, but would suck to use during the hot summer months. Come to think of it, it would be too cold to touch right now too since its 30deg here . Id rather have something leather or partially leather suede etc

Old 12-02-2007, 12:55 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PortMCS
Whalen are nice looking, but would suck to use during the hot summer months. Come to think of it, it would be too cold to touch right now too since its 30deg here . Id rather have something leather or partially leather suede etc
True...but my aluminum UUC RK3 shift **** is awesome. If it is hot (126 in the summer) or cold in the morning....we carry around a sock to put over it until it cools off... But its weighted and i wouldnt give it up for anything...

Old 12-02-2007, 01:52 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Leather please, no ball shapes (i.e. no Whalen), preferably the gun grip (BMW) shape.

Definitely no exposed metal. I am sick of either scorching or freezing my hand.

- Matt

Old 12-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Doug W
Former Vendor
A couple things.

BMW and MINI ***** do indeed use the same attachment method.

However, there is a demensional difference between the pre-2007 MINI and the BMW shift levers. Regarding the **** mounting area, the BMW levers are about 3/8" longer.
What that means is, a BMW **** will snap on to a pre-2007 MINI shift lever, but the anti-rotation key that's inside the **** will not enter the mating slot in the MINI shift lever, and the **** will rotate.

For some reason, the design engineers decided to lengthen that dimension for 2007 MINIs, making it roughly the same as the BMW lever; that means a BMW **** will snap right on to a 2007 or later MINI shift lever.

However, there is another small difference.
All manual BMW shift levers have the anti-rotation slot oriented at about an eleven degree angle, while the slot in a MINI shift lever is straight across.
Naturally, that means a BMW **** will be cocked at that eleven degree angle when installed on a MINI.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:17 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Whalen Machine
A couple things.

However, there is a demensional difference between the pre-2007 MINI and the BMW shift levers. Regarding the **** mounting area, the BMW levers are about 3/8" longer.
What that means is, a BMW **** will snap on to a pre-2007 MINI shift lever, but the anti-rotation key that's inside the **** will not enter the mating slot in the MINI shift lever, and the **** will rotate.

For some reason, the design engineers decided to lengthen that dimension for 2007 MINIs, making it roughly the same as the BMW lever; that means a BMW **** will snap right on to a 2007 or later MINI shift lever.

All manual BMW shift levers have the anti-rotation slot oriented at about an eleven degree angle, while the slot in a MINI shift lever is straight across.
Naturally, that means a BMW **** will be cocked at that eleven degree angle when installed on a MINI.
You are a god.

So on that note, do you do shapes other than ball?

- Matt

Old 12-02-2007, 04:31 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Whalen Machine
A couple things.

Most aftermarket shift ***** slip down and lock with a hex key insert. So, if your not going OEM BMW/Mini...it doesnt matter....

Old 12-02-2007, 04:54 PM
mini d
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
For those who don't like the feel of the stock ****, there are some alteratives. For one, wood feels much better than the stock plastic. Secondly, I've been experimenting with a variety of shapes inspired by the handles used in some Le Mans race cars.

http://www.robincasady.com/ShiftKnobs/Shapes.html
Those are some nice items! If I hadn't gone with CF as my interior trim of choice, I would have been a customer for sure.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by verveAbsolut
You are a god.

So on that note, do you do shapes other than ball?

- Matt
Not me. If I were a god, I'd be able to bless myself with some kind of early retirement plan.

As for shapes other than round, I've made a few cylindrical "handle"-type *****.
You can see some examples in my gallery; let me know if you're interested.

http://thewhalenshiftmachine.shutter...btWLjo&notag=1

-Doug