Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Fire Extinguisher Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007 | 06:12 PM
verveAbsolut
|
4th Gear
Fire Extinguisher Options

Hey guys,

So I'm on something of a safety kick lately - the more I understand cars, the more I realize how fragile (in some ways) cars are. Same applies for the occupants. So now I'm wondering about my options for fire extinguishers in the car. I know Mini has one available (I would need the part numbers), but if I recall correctly it mounts in the space in the parcel shelf...not totally objecting to that, but I'd prefer not to eat up the space there.

I'd prefer for it to be stored as out of the way as possible, hopefully as OEM looking as possible, but choosiness can only go so far. So on that note, what are my options for extinguishers?

- Matt

Old 12-04-2007 | 06:16 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
I've got one installed in the boot area, I know some of the racing companies have some that install on the front of the pasenger seat, if oyu do a search you should be able to find a few threads including one with my first two install locations.

I went with a small BC Kidde one form walmart with an automotive mount for $10.

Old 12-04-2007 | 06:20 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Well, while it's not exactly "out of the way", the Brey-Krause mount and a mini Halon bottle at the front of the passenger seat would be setup of choice.

Here's OctaneGuy's writeup of his installation, with pics.

Old 12-04-2007 | 08:10 PM
verveAbsolut
|
4th Gear
Yeah, I caught that thread through some searching. Seemed promising until khuevo brought up the solid point of it possibly fatiguing the metal it attaches to...rules that out in my mind.

Then there's this solid piece of thinking from another thread...

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Last thing I want is to risk my life to make it possible for the insurance company to repair a car that could have been totaled. I definitely don't want to drive around in a car whose frame may be weakened by the fire.
Have to run the numbers, as I've kind of come to the thinking that up to a certain point, trying to salvage the car wouldn't be worth it. The newer the car (or I should say, the higher the book value), the less likely you should try to save it -> insurance will pay out closer to the amount of a replacement.

But my car is around 17k private I am thinking...to get an identical would cost be another 8k+ if it was totaled...so I am still debating whether it would be a good call (to get an extinguisher unit). As of this point it would be.

Leaning toward the Euro shelf mount/system...totally OEM, even though it eats into storage. That or trunk system you pointed out, Motor On. Seems like the only real options after the seat-bracket mounts.

The research continues...

- Matt

Old 12-04-2007 | 08:21 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
I did have it on the rear of the pasenger seat for a while, but wasn't the happiest. But yeah Seats and storage, about sums up the MINIs places to put things

Old 12-04-2007 | 08:38 PM
verveAbsolut
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
But yeah Seats and storage, about sums up the MINIs places to put things
Just a car living up to its namesake.

- Matt

Old 12-04-2007 | 08:52 PM
JAGFIXER
2nd Gear
Mounted a 2lb chemical in the boot. Right rear wall. Basically there for track events with a E sticker on hatch to signify where its at.

Old 12-05-2007 | 06:12 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
hmmm, built in fire extinguisher, hmmm, that would be hot, no pun intended. Nothing says race car like a built in fire extinguisher (and a roll cage, but thats excessive for most street cars). sorry, i was no help i know, but i would also like a fire extinguisher in my car somewhere. somehow. someway. Beecher