Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Do they make aspherical mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:34 AM
hunter99
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do they make aspherical mirrors?

Just wondering if anyone makes aspherical mirrors for the MINI. I had these on my VW's and love them. Thought since other cars have them in europe that someone might make them for the MINI too.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Jason C
4th Gear
Old 12-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How is the quality of the Multivex mirrors for the R53?

I just had some made for an R56 (sent them a template) and they are useable, but they seem a bit like looking through water.

I'll try and take some photos later. If anyone has photos looking R53 mirrors, I'd like to see them. The ones in the ads look great.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Beecher
4th Gear
i think the mini mania ones are OE, probably the moss as well. I had heard that the euro minis come with them, assuming we are talking about what i think we are anyway... Beecher

Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 AM
cycleguru
4th Gear
Got mine from Moss, Takes a little getting use to them. But i like them very much.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleguru
Got mine from Moss, Takes a little getting use to them. But i like them very much.
The minimania.com ones say Multivex. The Moss don't say.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:59 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I believe MiniMania and MossMini versions are Multivex.

MINI does have aspherical mirrors for the Euro market (click here). I purchased one through special order from Mikey at NewMiniStuff.com. MotoringFile says some US dealers are willing to order them: http://www.motoringfile.com/2006/11/...rror-retrofit/

I have both types of mirrors -- Multivex on passenger side and OEM aspherical on drivers side. The quality of the Multivex is fine to me. When you say it is like looking through water, do you mean the reflection looks wavy? It is not that way in mine. The reflection looks about as smooth as OEM (of course the curvature is different). I've posted these photos but they don't show quality of the reflection.

I started with Multivex on both sides of my car. On the passenger side, it has been fantastic for rear visibility in my cabrio. On the drivers side, I liked the wide view but the depth perception was too tricky for me and I switched to the OEM aspherical -- a good compromise between the amount of wide angle view and distortion of depth perception.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:56 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Those are exactly what I was looking for!! (the OEM ones). I have had them on VW's (jetta, wife's NB, and now her Passat) and always like having them. Once you get used to using them, to me they are just like looking at the regular mirrors but the edge curves around o show you the blind spot. I'll see if I can source them. Maybe Mikey.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:07 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
The only thing different in the MINI ones to the VW ones is where the aspherical portion is. The VW ones have a tin line that runs from the top to the bottom of the mirror at about the 2/3 mark out form the car. The aspherical part is only in the last 1/3 section. Other than that they are pretty much the same except they have that bluish tint to help with headlight glaring from behind.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:09 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
How is the quality of the Multivex mirrors for the R53?

I just had some made for an R56 (sent them a template) and they are useable, but they seem a bit like looking through water.

I'll try and take some photos later. If anyone has photos looking R53 mirrors, I'd like to see them. The ones in the ads look great.
I tried the Multivex mirrors and did not like them at all. They were not much help and not easy to use in general. I also tried several other types of blind spot mirrors, including most of the inexpensive varieties available in your typical auto parts stores (Pep Boys, Strauss, Auto Zone, etc). The ones I settled on after much trial and error and use and like are the Maxi View mirrors. You can see them on my Mini in the photos within this thread in the marketplace where I happen to be selling a set for less than cost.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=113441

Old 12-05-2007, 09:40 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by hunter99
The only thing different in the MINI ones to the VW ones is where the aspherical portion is. The VW ones have a tin line that runs from the top to the bottom of the mirror at about the 2/3 mark out form the car. The aspherical part is only in the last 1/3 section. Other than that they are pretty much the same except they have that bluish tint to help with headlight glaring from behind.
The OEM MINI version has a mild convex across the inner 3/4, with more curvature on the outer 1/4. The inner part still has enough convex that you have to be aware of the "objects are closer than they appear" effect.

The Multivex didn't work out for me on the drivers side, but I'm a big fan of them for the passenger side.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's another thought- for those of us that live in places with frigid winter months, is the heated mirror feature still functional after putting on another layer of glass over the oem?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:41 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Aeromax
Here's another thought- for those of us that live in places with frigid winter months, is the heated mirror feature still functional after putting on another layer of glass over the oem?
I have no personal experience with these mirrors in frigid temperatures. Multivex says to seal the gap around the edges between the mirrors with silicone, and they claim that the heat becomes trapped and the function continues to work.