Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Bluetooth already built in 2003 models??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003 | 12:48 PM
jivanivan
|
4th Gear
OK, when I picked up my car in May, I remember asking every single question about the car. I asked what the other vent is next to the sunroof controls is. He told me that MINI has already built a bluetooth that will available later on and they'll announce how to use it.

Anyone know if this is true? I'm not trying to post a rumor, it's just what I heard and remembered. I'll try to take pictures of what I'm talking about.

Old 07-09-2003 | 01:23 PM
F15EWeapon
5th Gear
Ivan...

I've heard the term Bluetooth to describe the wireless technology that allows multiple items to communicate with each other... but I can't for the life of me imagine a good application for this in the MINI

Maybe it's just a lack of imagination on my part eh?

Old 07-09-2003 | 01:31 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
>>Ivan...
>>
>>I've heard the term Bluetooth to describe the wireless technology that allows multiple items to communicate with each other... but I can't for the life of me imagine a good application for this in the MINI
>>
>>Maybe it's just a lack of imagination on my part eh?

Do a search on MCO or MINI2 - several people have already installed bluetooth kits in their MINI.

The reason for it would be to interact with a bluetooth phone like a SonyEricsson T68i. With the kit and the phone you'd be able to just enter your MINI and the bluetooth system would pair with your phone wirelessly. So one application for this technology would be when a call is recieved the stereo would mute and you could simply talk through a speaker phone installed under the dash. All the while your phone would remain in your pocket.

Old 07-09-2003 | 01:32 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
The last thing I heard was the use for that little grille was for a handsfree cell phone mic. The audio goes through the stereo speakers. I do know the stock headunits ('03) have an input provision for the audio already.

I don't know what having Bluetooth in the MINI would be used for either. Perhaps telling your PDA that you need fuel?

Old 07-09-2003 | 01:35 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Just to add a little more confusion into this. My MMA said the grill was for a sensor for the optional security system.

Old 07-09-2003 | 01:58 PM
jivanivan
|
4th Gear
Hmmm... Well I have a Sony T68i phone and I already us a bluetooth headset, which is pretty handy when driving stick. It would be pretty useful and I coulda saved me alot of money instead of buying the headset ($120). For those without a bluetooth phone, you should try it out. Having no wires makes such a big difference.

So anyone know how to activate or where the input provision is?

Old 07-09-2003 | 02:41 PM
vespa
4th Gear
The thing in the roof that looks like a jacuzzi filter is a (inactive) motion detector.
The little vent by the clock is empty and intended for a cell phone mic.

The bluetooth kit is generic so it only mutes the radio and takes over the speakers, it does not allow for steering wheel or HU controls. The inactive center button on the steering wheel is intended to activate the phone, if MINI ever releases the appropriate kit. Read about this bluetooth install.

Cool sig, but way outta control! That thing almost completely fills my 21" monitor.

Old 07-09-2003 | 03:01 PM
jivanivan
|
4th Gear
Vespa,
Thanks for the link, I'm checking it out right now.
Hahaha, I know the sig is big, mightyminiz sent me this template in this size so I used it, hahahaha.

Old 07-09-2003 | 03:17 PM
itsthesize
2nd Gear
I current am using a bluetooth headset with my T68i and it is very convenient. But I can say one thing tho is that my magna flow is loud enough that the party I'm talking to can hear loud background noises, and the mic is close to my lips. I can't imagine for those who has a similar exhaust can speak to a mic somewhere else in the car and expect the other party to hear you. Don't know but anyone have that problem?

BTW, I always have to shut the windows and turn down the stereo too.

Peter

Old 07-09-2003 | 03:45 PM
jivanivan
|
4th Gear
I used to have that problem in my grandpas car, I never could use it with the engine noise. I found it better to use the normal wire headset, I hope gettin my RSpeed exhaust won't make this a problem. I have voice recognition for my navigation system. I too have to close all the windows for it to hear me. I dont know a solution to this, but they'll probably make new headsets with better reception.

Old 07-09-2003 | 03:59 PM
vespa
4th Gear
Old 07-09-2003 | 08:35 PM
ultramini
2nd Gear
anyone has latest news about the bluetooth car kit for Mini from Sony Ericsson yet? I also have T68i and will like to install the bluetooth kit.

UltraMini

Old 07-09-2003 | 08:57 PM
HARMINI
5th Gear
>>Cool sig, but way outta control! That thing almost completely fills my 21" monitor.

I agree and was gonna PM Ivan to tell him that same thing. With using that much space for your signature, each thread that you post to has less room per page for information.

Does anyone remember how to turn off the signatures?

Old 07-10-2003 | 10:16 AM
jivanivan
|
4th Gear
here it is, my small sig

Old 07-10-2003 | 11:14 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
>>Hey looka this: BMW Bluetooth Retrofit Kit

Interesting, although it makes no mention of the MINI. While I'm a bit of a gadget freak I don't think I'm quite technologically adept to try one out. Plus, those kits aren't cheap.

I would love to have the ability to to integrate a wireless solution into the MINI....

And no, you don't use it so the car can pass any info to your PDA. You would use the Bluetooth conncetivity in the car combined with the already installed microphone, plus your Bluetooth enabled cellphone for total hands free operation of your cellphone. As long as your cell phone was powered on and in the car it would work.

Old 07-11-2003 | 06:26 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
>>I have voice recognition for my navigation system.

What and how, please!

Old 07-11-2003 | 11:39 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
I test drove a MINI last week at Crown in Richmond, Va and the Motoring Advisor told me that the car had built-in bluetooth as well. he pointed to the grille up near the front of the sunroof and said that was the microphone and that if your BT phone rang, the stereo sound would mute and the speakers would function as speakers for the phone.

I searched here and at MINI2 and no one mentioned this, only the BT kits so I figured it was just typical car sales BS but maybe not.

If comething like this was truly integrated to that extent, I would change wireless providers an buy a BT phone in a second. Verizon has no BT phones IIRC.

Old 07-11-2003 | 02:06 PM
jivanivan
|
4th Gear
Chitown_COOP - My Navigation unit is made by pioneer, I'll take pictures where the microphone is too show you. I can tell it commands like "Return Home" "gas station" "detour" and lots more. It has 2 million points of interests. I never thought I would've used it but it came in handy when me and my girl where craving gelato. I just typed in gelato and what city we were in and we were enjoying our gelato minutes later. It also categorizes the restaurants and shows a whole lot. Too much to explain here. When I WAS going to get my MINI at BMW of San Francisco, I told them I wanted navigation. They told me the MINI navigation is going to be outdated and it just sucks (that's what they said not me) They referred me to a place to get a pioneer unit. I just did my research and bought it on the internet for half the price.

The Pioneer unit I have and the MINI nav came about to the same price. So it's obvious which one I chose.

Voice recognition, DVD player, navigation, folding screen, etc.

or

just navigation on the speedo

Old 07-12-2003 | 01:33 AM
SteelKite
2nd Gear
You can "disable" that particular signature from loading by adding the line ...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lbum04/enw.jpg
to your "hosts.txt" file on your computer.

Old 07-13-2003 | 11:50 PM
xzibbit99
2nd Gear
finally a topic i can offer insight on.

bluetooth is a internet based sort of company who wants to expand farther out. they are working on a full line of computers JUST for certain cars. dunno if MINIs are part of the click, but who knows.

Old 07-14-2003 | 05:17 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
>>finally a topic i can offer insight on.
>>
>>bluetooth is a internet based sort of company who wants to expand farther out. they are working on a full line of computers JUST for certain cars. dunno if MINIs are part of the click, but who knows.

Sorry, but wrong, Bluetooth is a short range (usually not more than 30 feet) wireless networking protocol. It is currently available in some phones, laptops and PDAs, even some wireless keyboards and mice.

Bluetooth is actually named after a Norwegan Pirate. It is not however a computer company of any sort...

All the question you have on Bluetooth can be resolved
here.

Old 07-21-2003 | 03:41 PM
FlyingLow
Neutral
From waht I heard MINIs already are comin pre-wired for bluetooth, but you need the kit which won't be out till around October.