Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior new roof rack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 11:33 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to get a roof rack for the mini I want a simpile classic looking chrome or wodden basket / platform I don't like yakima'esc racks and I don't like the idea of drilling holes for the mini rack,, besides that I don't like the look of it all that much either... I want something classy looking but functional something I can throw some stuff on top like wodden boards or stuff when I'm moving, oe some extra campign equipment... I've looked at ther oof bags,because you can remove them, but I'm affraid of them scratching the top... any suggetions?

Old 07-10-2003, 11:39 AM
discodan
5th Gear
there is a new rack on the market called the Mont Blanc, i think MOSS sells it.

Old 07-10-2003, 11:46 AM
sambusik
6th Gear
i'm very interested, need better pics though

Old 07-10-2003, 11:59 AM
sambusik
6th Gear
I just called moss mini. I'm interested in seeing this rack in person. Take a look at the pic on the site
http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...mp;SortOrder=1

Look at how there are three contact points with the roof on each side ... Anybody have more info on this thing?

Old 07-10-2003, 12:03 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
>>I want to get a roof rack for the mini I want a simpile classic looking chrome or wodden basket / platform I don't like yakima'esc racks and I don't like the idea of drilling holes for the mini rack,, besides that I don't like the look of it all that much either... I want something classy looking but functional something I can throw some stuff on top like wodden boards or stuff when I'm moving, oe some extra campign equipment... I've looked at ther oof bags,because you can remove them, but I'm affraid of them scratching the top... any suggetions?

I do have the MINI rack that bolts to the roof. I hear your concerns about holes in the roof, but I do think it is a good solution. The bolts go into captive nuts on the inside of the roof 'shell' and thus provide very strong attachment, probably stronger than any other rack. They are still removable. With just the two cross-beams you have a great opportunity for hauling wood, sheets, 2x4's, beams etc...
With the basket attachment you can haul a lot of gear. Ther are two basket attachments available, a narrow and a wide one. I have the narrow one:

I do think this combo offers a nice look and utility. I like it too because I can open my sunroof underneath!

One caveat: the rack makes a lot of wind noise! I am considering testing some small fairing attachments to reduce the wind noise.

Cheers,
Markus

Old 07-10-2003, 12:25 PM
chollomo
4th Gear
I wonder if the basket form yours would work with the mont blanc system... (i would like to see better pictures of this system as well... I'll look online at other sites..)

Old 07-10-2003, 02:32 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a little pissed because my motoring advisor advised against the roof rack because of the drilling. But from what I've read, with the exception of some noise, those of you that have it are pleased.

I too would be curious to know how the basket from the factory basket fits with the Mont Blanc rack. It's the best looking one I've seen so far.

Old 07-10-2003, 03:37 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
I like my roof rack.
You only get the noise when the rack is attached, and it is removable. When removed, the bolts remain and are capped by little plastic caps. These caps might bother some but do not bother me.
You can sorta see them in this pic (sorry, not the best of pics):

Old 07-10-2003, 03:44 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
ah, forgot:

the MINI basket attaches as such:

the cross bars have a slit that runs across the top. When no attachments are in use, a rubber strip slides into the groove. When an attachment is used, the strip is pulled out, and the attachment insterted. The basket has four clips with extended bolts that slide into the slit in the cross beam. Inside the slit (inside of the crossbeam that is) you slide square nut that holds the bolt once you tighten the bolt.
I can try and get some pics next week.
M.

Old 07-10-2003, 03:45 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
Great. I think it's a good compromise.
BTW, please tell about the photos. What boat are you on and what is that old house? County?
Thanks...

Old 07-11-2003, 07:10 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
Hey Zappa,

the boat is the Galveston - Bolivar ferry in TX (Galveston county). It's a short hop, about a 15-20 minute ride, and usually anywhere from 1 to 5 ferries running.

The old house I don't know. That's when I picked up my car at Roadshow MINI in Memphis, TN, and drove back to TX mostly along the Natchez Trace Parkway. I think that was still near the Northern end of the parkway, but can't give you details.

Cheers,
M.

Old 07-22-2003, 03:06 PM
sambusik
6th Gear
bump!
has anyone heard more info about this Mont Blanc roof rack? I'm not brave enough to be the first to buy it

Old 07-22-2003, 04:20 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
The Mont Blanc set-up uses their 3082 foot units, 106cm load bars and a 3000X extension kit.

The 3000X extension kit looks similar to Yakima's Q stretch kit:

I've emailed Yakima asking them why they don't use this for their recommended MINI set-up which only provides 18" between the cross bars:

Feedback on the Mont Blanc roof rack is just starting to show up on MINI2 from folks in the UK who have fitted them:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...759#post451759

Old 07-22-2003, 07:37 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
does anybody have experience or knowledge with the saris roof racks? i just heard about it from some other thread here a few days ago. it sounds good, but again no pics on mini's. it's made of aluminum, so no rust worries. but at the same time it's supposed to be strong, 300+ lbs weight capacity. and removable. but how well does it work?

Old 07-23-2003, 09:31 PM
Electrc109
3rd Gear
>>does anybody have experience or knowledge with the saris roof racks? i just heard about it from some other thread here a few days ago. it sounds good, but again no pics on mini's. it's made of aluminum, so no rust worries. but at the same time it's supposed to be strong, 300+ lbs weight capacity. and removable. but how well does it work?
>>
>>

I love my saris rack, its quite wonderful. The weight capacity is 120lbs i believe. (most likely due to the thin roof, not the rack itself)

It works wonderful by the way. very functional, very sleek, very easy to install and uninstall.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more info, pics, etc.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:18 PM
phase IV
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MG-BGT
I like my roof rack.
You only get the noise when the rack is attached, and it is removable. When removed, the bolts remain and are capped by little plastic caps. These caps might bother some but do not bother me.
You can sorta see them in this pic (sorry, not the best of pics):
Anybody have a good pic of the roof with the rack removed?

p4

Old 04-14-2005, 05:38 AM
Buckeye Rob
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chollomo
I wonder if the basket form yours would work with the mont blanc system... (i would like to see better pictures of this system as well... I'll look online at other sites..)
Check out what I posted on our local club's site about the OEM rack.

http://www.metroplexmini.org/forum/s...ead.php?t=8915

I'd never seen the Mont Blanc system but it states that it holds a decent amount of weight. About half way between the OEM and the Yakima system.

I drove from TX to OH this Christmas with a Yakima Space Cadet box on the OEM rack and had no trouble. It holds about 160lbs.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:48 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
The factory rack holds a lot more weight