Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Joey mod R56!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:59 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also for those taping the reflector lens. Why not use a piece of plastic and tape the outside parts down? Obviously you wouldn't be able to "bake" the paint in the oven after you spray it but wouldn't that be easier that having to cover it completely in painters tape?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 AM
jcap287
School away from MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody can give me like a guesstimate?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It costs like $5, unless you need matte varnish, then it'll cost $10.

You probably won't find a shop willing to do this.

I just paint the entire thing. I tape off the reflector and turn signal lens and then just spray it.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:42 AM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
so i have posted this same question on this same thread befoe but nobody could seem to help.

I can get three of the four bolts that hold the head light on off. The ones that i can't get off are the lower outside ones on each light. Pretty much the lowest bolts closest to the fenders. When I turn them eaither way they just spin. Whatever is on the backside doesn't catch. This is what is stopping me form getting this mod done. If anyone has anything that might help please let me know.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:45 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I'm surprised that both lights are giving you the same issue. When's your next service date? Maybe you can have the service dept unscrew it for you?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 PM
jcap287
School away from MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not very mechanically inclined haha..I'm afraid I'll mess it (I have the xenon lights) up ! lol Thanks for the input!

Old 06-30-2009, 02:56 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Hmmm, I wish I knew of shops in that area that would do it, but I honestly don't :(

Old 06-30-2009, 02:57 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
I'm surprised that both lights are giving you the same issue. When's your next service date? Maybe you can have the service dept unscrew it for you?
My service department would do it because there was nothing wrong with the light. I found that a little weird but understood why they didn't want too. On the 4th we are BBQing and my buddy and his brother are good with things like this. The figuring out a problem. We are gonna pull the fenders off and see what we can figure out.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:18 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
just make sure you get new clips for the fenders - FWIT they are good for a one time use.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:39 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might wana try peeling back the fender liner first before popping off the fender and having to replace clips. Then just make sure your wheel is cranked in so you can fit your head and get a flash light and see whats stopping the screw

Originally Posted by willsblackmini08
My service department would do it because there was nothing wrong with the light. I found that a little weird but understood why they didn't want too. On the 4th we are BBQing and my buddy and his brother are good with things like this. The figuring out a problem. We are gonna pull the fenders off and see what we can figure out.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:12 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I just went out to pre-loosen all the nuts and I have the same problem as Will on both sides near the fenders. I think it's b/c the back ends of the screws are rusted. The only thing behind it is a circular washer (not even a lock washer) which spins when the screw spins. I tried using a small flathead screwdriver to hold against the washer to no avail. I'm not sure if I should try some white lithium grease or WD-40 or go buy some liquid wrench. I tried to get my needle nose pliers in there to hold the washer but it's a very tight space and they don't fit. The wheel arches are not a problem as the actual metal of the car is what makes it extremely narrow. I will try tweezers tomorrow but first I'm going to bring it to my dealership and see if they have any ideas. As always I welcome your ideas...?

I'm currently charging my drill to put the 10mm hex bit on there and try to spin the $h*t out of it.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
I just went out to pre-loosen all the nuts and I have the same problem as Will on both sides near the fenders. I think it's b/c the back ends of the screws are rusted. The only thing behind it is a circular washer (not even a lock washer) which spins when the screw spins. I tried using a small flathead screwdriver to hold against the washer to no avail. I'm not sure if I should try some white lithium grease or WD-40 or go buy some liquid wrench. I tried to get my needle nose pliers in there to hold the washer but it's a very tight space and they don't fit. The wheel arches are not a problem as the actual metal of the car is what makes it extremely narrow. I will try tweezers tomorrow but first I'm going to bring it to my dealership and see if they have any ideas. As always I welcome your ideas...?

I'm currently charging my drill to put the 10mm hex bit on there and try to spin the $h*t out of it.
OK now I feel a bit better about this. I'm not the only one with the problem. I'm gonna stop by the dealer today and see if they can help as wel. If not I guess I won't be doing a Joey mod ever. UGH

Old 07-01-2009, 04:10 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I've been out there all day and got nothing to show for it. The flat washer in the back started to come "out" by widening the plastic piece that was holding it in. I'm pretty sure that plastic was what was smoking as I was holding my drill on reverse for 2 minutes straight. I'm kind of out of ideas except to try the heat gun method.

checkercoop - once you remove the lens via the heatgun how do you get the reflector out if the screws are in the back?

Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
I tried the drill gun idea as well with the same result. This is driving me nuts. I have the night off from work and really want to get this done asap.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:25 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I've tried holding that back washer against the plastic w/ everything I can think of - In fact I can't even see the washer on my driver's side since it is making it's way into the plastic....

the good news is that even if you pull the washer all the way through we can just use a new bolt with a proper bolt on the back - there is nothing vital to using the exact same bolt/washer.

I just sprayed some and left it overnight. I don't think it's going to work to be honest. I think I'm going to have to pull the washer all the way through by using the drill on reverse and prying the outer washer towards the front bumper so that it is "pulling" all the way through. I'm going to only work on one side so that I don't mess them both up - I would suggest the same.

even the techs at the dealership think I'm s.o.l.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:30 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
I've been out there all day and got nothing to show for it. The flat washer in the back started to come "out" by widening the plastic piece that was holding it in. I'm pretty sure that plastic was what was smoking as I was holding my drill on reverse for 2 minutes straight. I'm kind of out of ideas except to try the heat gun method.

checkercoop - once you remove the lens via the heatgun how do you get the reflector out if the screws are in the back?
People are removing the reflector? I just left mine as one piece and sprayed away (after taping of course).

Old 07-01-2009, 05:05 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Hmm...I guess I can spray with it attached to the car - Vic I wanted to take the "tube" part of the halogen lights away from the engine / bumper so that it does not accidentally get painted from overspray.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:55 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Ok Will problem solved. Put the 10mm hex on your drill and "reverse" it on high power. While this is going on take your other hand and pry the front washer forward. If the drill is spinning fast enough it will allow the bolt to heat and you'll be able to pull it through the front as it melts the plastic - you will see smoke (good smoke of course).

my driver's side too me about 45 minutes and my passenger side took no more that 30 seconds. go figure.

The good thing is that you can fix what you mess up. You'll have to purchase two of each - screws (come with washer) and two attachment elements.

Part # for screws: 51-11-2-754-175
Part # for attachment element: 63-12-2-752-224

In order to replace the attachment element you need a T15 to unscrew the silver clip holding the attachment element in place. It just slides out towards the side of the fender.

Hopefully this helps. Now I can stop complaining and start this joey-mod once the weather gets nicer.

The techs at the dealership think I'm nuts and that I'll be back in to purchase new headlight assemblies once I mess them up. Let's hope not.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:58 PM
d_m0906
Neutral
My joey mod

[IMG]file:///Users/DC/Desktop/mini.jpg[/IMG]

Thought I would share...easy great mod thanks!!!

Attached Thumbnails Joey mod R56!-mini.jpg  
Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Very nice toolazyforalogin. Did you just go to your dealership and order the new parts? How much were they?

Old 07-03-2009, 05:43 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by willsblackmini08
Very nice toolazyforalogin. Did you just go to your dealership and order the new parts? How much were they?
parts were ~$23

d_m0906 - looks good!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:27 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Pretty poor design of having a nut in plastic on a part they know people are going to take off or need adjusted as some point.

I just went out and checked mine. Weather is supposed to be bad for the next week here 9 and has been for months) so I put some battery terminal goop on it to keep anymore water from getting to them and rusting them more than they already have.
Ok Will problem solved. Put the 10mm hex on your drill and "reverse" it on high power. While this is going on take your other hand and pry the front washer forward. If the drill is spinning fast enough it will allow the bolt to heat and you'll be able to pull it through the front as it melts the plastic - you will see smoke (good smoke of course).

my driver's side too me about 45 minutes and my passenger side took no more that 30 seconds. go figure.

The good thing is that you can fix what you mess up. You'll have to purchase two of each - screws (come with washer) and two attachment elements.

Part # for screws: 51-11-2-754-175
Part # for attachment element: 63-12-2-752-224

In order to replace the attachment element you need a T15 to unscrew the silver clip holding the attachment element in place. It just slides out towards the side of the fender.

Hopefully this helps. Now I can stop complaining and start this joey-mod once the weather gets nicer.

The techs at the dealership think I'm nuts and that I'll be back in to purchase new headlight assemblies once I mess them up. Let's hope not.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:44 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Done. I started around 4pm in CT amd finished around 8pm. it wasn't bad at all. the oven worried me but I just popped them in. taping off the light was the biggest pain but it's done and i'll have pictures up soon. im on my ps3 right now so getting pictures up is sorta tough. again thanks toolazyforalogin. im only about 20 minutes from you if you every want to meet up and compare minis.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:18 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
yeah man get the pics up! I'm going to try it on Sunday as long as it doesn't rain...would be so much easier if I had a garage! the taping doesn't bother me - it's the untaping and having residue on the reflectors. any issues with that?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:28 AM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Yeha i don't have a garage either. When i was painting the second headlight someone in my building was walking buy and said he was glad i still had my headlights he thought someone stole them at first. I'll get pictures up in a bit.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Joey mod R56!