Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Joey mod R56!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:17 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ghosthound
it is not necessary to vacuum mold it if its not structural
I think water molding will probably be sufficient for surfaces that don't have a lot of corners and creases.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:03 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks freakin' sweet. I want my entire headlight to look like that.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Ignigena
2nd Gear
rippymcs: I had not heard of the water molding technique. Can you give more info or point me to a website?

Old 04-26-2008, 06:21 PM
rippymcs
4th Gear
It's basically like vacuum molding, but instead of removing pressue from inside the plastic bag, you apply pressue on the outside of the bag by submerging it in water; sort of like a low tech, reversed, hydroforming. Not as effective as vacuum molding but works better when you need to hold the shape for an extended period (like overnight) as sometimes vacuum don't always hold unless you heat seal the bag. I would probably do a combo of vacuum and water for best result.

Last edited by rippymcs; 04-26-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:30 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
i may try the foodsaver method with some interior bits for a small scale test...

Old 05-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Mini Me GB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My joey mod was done my modnmini today, really pleased with it Next the chrome surrounds will be painted

Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Ignigena
2nd Gear
Mini Me: did they also frost the lens of the Xenon to give it that darker look? I can't tell if it's just reflecting the rest of the light or if the lens was modded as well. Looks really nice!

Old 05-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Mini Me GB
3rd Gear
Hi Ignigena - thanks and sorry for the delay in replying, no nothing was done to the xenon lens

Old 05-04-2008, 07:21 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Me GB
Hi Ignigena - thanks and sorry for the delay in replying, no nothing was done to the xenon lens
Hey i think a sig remake is in order

Old 06-02-2008, 09:07 PM
anderezd
2nd Gear
So I'm a newbie when it comes to posting pictures on here. Any tips? Anyways my Joey mod can be seen here.

I want to post them on here, but got fed up with the size thing. Like I said, a newbie and its late.

I did mine on a justacooper, which I have not seen many pics of this mod done on them. It was fun, gave the car a new look and the mods are slowly coming along nicely. Thanks!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by anderezd
So I'm a newbie when it comes to posting pictures on here. Any tips? Anyways my Joey mod can be seen here.

I want to post them on here, but got fed up with the size thing. Like I said, a newbie and its late.

I did mine on a justacooper, which I have not seen many pics of this mod done on them. It was fun, gave the car a new look and the mods are slowly coming along nicely. Thanks!
Good job

I know the easiest way is to upload the pics to photobucket (cuz there it can auto resize them for you)....800 is a good width for these forums

But from any souce you should be able to copy the link, and place it in an IMG code...surround the code IMG with these brackets [] and then place the link, then end with this code /IMG placed in brackets

Old 06-03-2008, 06:12 AM
anderezd
2nd Gear
Thanks Checkercoop for the that wonderful bit of advice!!!

So please disregard my previous post. Here is my standard Joey Mod on Non-Xenons and on a CR/B R56 Justacooper.

If you desire more picks of the whole process I have plenty more, just did not want to take up a lot of room. Thanks guys for giving me the cuts to try this mod!

You can also view the process
/ at my Flickr Account

The Joey Mod!!!...whoops...I mean car post-headlight removal

Yes...I did bake the headlights at 250 for 5 minutes, or until golden brown...

Finished painting, time for reassembly...

Finished product...plastic lenses reflect to much

Old 06-03-2008, 06:18 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for taking photos of the process all the way through....that will be helpful for anyone taking this project on. They came out looking great

Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 AM
PH1L
1st Gear
so did u sand the chrome bits???.. and what type of paint(high temp) u use?? and also with the assembling back how did u stick the lens back onto the head light?

So please disregard my previous post. Here is my standard Joey Mod on Non-Xenons and on a CR/B R56 Justacooper.

If you desire more picks of the whole process I have plenty more, just did not want to take up a lot of room. Thanks guys for giving me the cuts to try this mod!

You can also view the process here at my Flickr Account

Last edited by PH1L; 06-03-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:56 AM
PH1L
1st Gear
nice! how did they put the CF in there??
Originally Posted by xnotfunkylex

That looks freakin' sweet. I want my entire headlight to look like that.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:41 AM
MattR56
1st Gear

You can also view the process here at my Flickr Account

Hey, I recognize that car!
Looks good, man. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:21 PM
enron29
3rd Gear
Hey guys, I cannot seem to find an answer anywhere. Is there anyway to replace that amber reflector in both the headlight and taillight. What options do I have. Can I just remove the amber lens, or is there a clear lens I can replace it with or do I have to buy whole new housings.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:49 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by enron29
Hey guys, I cannot seem to find an answer anywhere. Is there anyway to replace that amber reflector in both the headlight and taillight. What options do I have. Can I just remove the amber lens, or is there a clear lens I can replace it with or do I have to buy whole new housings.
Yes you can buy the clear lenses and replace them yourself (while you are at the headlight you might as well do the joey mod )....it just pops out once you have unseal the lens and removed it...the tailight I'm not 100% sure on tho, but I do think the lens is held in my screws??? I would check with others on how to disassemble the tails, but the good news is no need for new housing

Old 06-03-2008, 02:51 PM
enron29
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
Yes you can buy the clear lenses and replace them yourself (while you are at the headlight you might as well do the joey mod )....it just pops out once you have unseal the lens and removed it...the tailight I'm not 100% sure on tho, but I do think the lens is held in my screws??? I would check with others on how to disassemble the tails, but the good news is no need for new housing
Does anyone know where I can order these clear lenses? Also, does anyone have experience with taking apart the taillights? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:05 PM
anderezd
2nd Gear
Joey Mod How-To-Do

Ok, so I have posted on this topic alot in the last two days. I completed a .pdf of the how to on how i did my Joey Mod. I know there is a similar one running around out there, including the first post, but I tried to incorporate as many pictures as possible. It was a fast put together and there may be typos. If this helps one person I'll be happy. Enjoy and get busy moding!

If anyone has the link to the post with the other Joey Mod pdf let me know. I did a quick search but no luck. I figured it would be good to have 1 post with as much info as possible

Thanks for all the comments as well!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Joey MOD How-to.pdf (1.98 MB, 1894 views)
The following users liked this post:
anew742 (03-11-2018)
Old 06-03-2008, 08:26 PM
enron29
3rd Gear
Can I buy clear lenses at the dealership? Has anyone taken apart the taillight to replace the orange reflector, or is there a place where I can buy the taillights with white lenses? Thanks.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Can I buy clear lenses at the dealership? Has anyone taken apart the taillight to replace the orange reflector, or is there a place where I can buy the taillights with white lenses? Thanks.
I did find this for the taillights, but I think its a bit pricey, especially since it replaces the whole unit instead of just replacing the lens

http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...uctshow&id=397

Old 06-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks anderezd for the amazing How-To PDF

Old 06-04-2008, 07:46 PM
enron29
3rd Gear
Is there an easy way to check if your headlights are centered when putting them back in? I put mine back in, but I can't seem to get them centered with the ring. I just keep going back and forth. Please help me asap.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
anderezd
2nd Gear
Is there an easy way to check if your headlights are centered when putting them back in? I put mine back in, but I can't seem to get them centered with the ring. I just keep going back and forth. Please help me asap.
I used the bit off of a screw drive (the type you insert into the handle) as a spacer to align the light. I got one light the way I wanted and jerry-riged a spacer. Loosen the lights just enough to where you can wiggle them with the bonnet down but they dont slip. I found that if you keep the very top back bolt tight you can have the rest really loose to help you move it. Anyone else have any good ideas?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Joey mod R56!