Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Vent Cover...anybody tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:35 PM
BamaCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vent Cover...anybody tried it?

Has anyone installed this vent cover?

http://www.coopergear.com/Site/DashVentCover.html

It does seem like it will get air to the driver and passenger but will it affect the air to the windscreen so defrosting or fogging isn't a problem?

Old 01-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Frank Matyja
Blew By U
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering the same thing...I get enough from the dash vents...

Old 01-30-2008, 05:01 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there's another row of vents for defrost... one long strip along the base of the windshield

Old 01-30-2008, 05:06 PM
user 7082082
Banned
That thing would just simply bug the hell out of me.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:09 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
Originally Posted by COOUUPER S
ima get you one for yer birthday

Old 01-30-2008, 05:37 PM
The Wheel
1st Gear
I've been thinking about ordering one to see if it would work or not.
I live in the desert and last summer when it hit 119' degrees the a/c in the Mini didn't cut it. This thing might shoot a little more air directly where it's needed!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:39 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
I have one of the 1st prototypes and love it. Here is Chicago it gets hot and very cold. Had the Dash Vent Cover for last 8 months. In the summer I ran the AC less than the summer before and when I did run it ran it on lower speed.
This winter, it's been a long one, I have had no issues with defrost. It really helps push the air to the front seats, instead of up and over to the back seats.

Leak CooperGear is also working on a air duct system for the seats for those with want AC and heat in the seat, it's been very nice testing.

Last edited by AutoXCooper.com; 03-07-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:00 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Originally Posted by COOUUPER S
After the 1st few days I forgot it was there. It's also very secure even under very hard driving and AutoX.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:16 AM
JohnnyG
3rd Gear
I've got one on order and hopefully it will be here this week, I'll post back after using it for a few days....

Old 01-31-2008, 05:58 AM
emsjr
3rd Gear
I have one....

I have one on my 06 MCS and it seems to do as advertised. I sprayed the underside with flat back paint so the white edge of the vinyl wrap didn't show. I also took some heat shrink tubing, (didn't shrink it, just used the tube) to cover the hold down springs. For the $$$ it seems to do the trick and as another post stated, after a day you don't notice it. Ordering and receiving anything from CooperGear seems to be an adventure, at least or me. I am still waiting for my gas cap that I ordered in early December, after several calls and e-mails, I talked to Blake, (always nice when you get him) and he said it will be out this week, however, that was two weeks ago.

So be warned, service seems real slooooooow, but so far the one thing I received seems to be good.

Gene
www.bugguardsforbeemers.com

Old 01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
JohnnyG
3rd Gear
That's good to know emsjr....I dont' like dealing with people like that, I was prompt in sending out my payment, I expect the same from the people I buy from......I'll post back on my experience....good, bad or indifferent!!!

Thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AutoXCooper.com
After the 1st few days I forgot it was there. It's also very secure even under very hard driving and AutoX.
Would you guys sell one unwrapped, as in no vinyl?

Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 AM
ernesto
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
I sprayed the underside with flat back paint so the white edge of the vinyl wrap didn't show. I also took some heat shrink tubing, (didn't shrink it, just used the tube) to cover the hold down springs.
I was thinking about doing the same thing, but instead I bought some material (I used a black humidifier filter) and cut a small piece to fill the opening and hide the springs.. Just did it today so I need to road test it for a while to see if I like it, but I think it looks good.

Before:

After:

Old 02-04-2008, 05:51 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
^ Let us know how it works -- 'cause it does look good

Old 02-04-2008, 07:19 AM
ernesto
Let us know how it works
Took it out today and and all is good. Looks sharp, everything stays in place and airflow does not seem to be any different.

I may try cutting a slightly smaller version and install it 1/4 or 1/2 inch back inside the housing (probably secure it with velcro instead of the current pressure fit).

I like the "opening into nothing" look, but didn't like seeing the springs or vinyl edge of the original.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Be sure to take some pics when you re-do it. Seeing the springs would bother me as well. Does it look easy enough to wrap?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:46 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
This product seems like a good idea. All the pics I see are from a low angle. Can somebody take a photo from the driver's viewpoint? I know it doesn't obscure the view but I'm concerned about how much it is visually "in your face". How tall is it?

Old 02-04-2008, 06:04 PM
ernesto
Can somebody take a photo from the driver's viewpoint?
I put a couple extra photos in my flickr site. It is only about 2 inches tall so it does not block your view at all, but it is in your peripheral vision. It reminds me of an old muscle car hood scoop.

Here are my opinions on the dash vent cover..

Does it divert air back to the cabin? Yes it does, but it probably doesn't make that much of a real difference.
Does it look cool? Yep, that is why I got it.
Is it worth the money? Yes, it is not that expensive for a little bit of bling that might actually be functional.
Dislikes.. I could see the attachment springs and a bit of the vinyl wrap from the inside of the cover (fixed with a bit of filter material).
What else would I do if I knew how? Put a small LED inside to add an orange glow to match the dash when the interior lights were on.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:59 AM
JohnnyG
3rd Gear
Well I wanted to update my earlier post...I've had one of the vent covers on order before the end of the month (Jan)...today is the 19th of Feb and I haven't received anything from them....I was told it was to ship 2 Fridays ago so unless someone is physically bringing it to me????? I'm not real impressed with their support!!!!!! I hope the product is better??

Old 03-03-2008, 07:02 AM
JohnnyG
3rd Gear
Well I wanted to update everyone again....it is now the 3rd of March and I have YET to receive my vent cover....after sending another email asking where my product was, I was told by Blake he had to go to the hospital cuz he was soo sick, even though 2 weeks earlier he told me he would ship my cover.....last time I was told again he would ship my cover he even offered to refund me my money....I told him I didn't want my money back, I wanted my cover and to use the money he was offering to expidite my shipping....well another week has gone by and you guessed it.....still no cover.....I guess at this point I'm trying to warn other people to not bother with Blake and CooperGear...Blake may be a nice guy (though I've never met him personally) but as far as running a business and his idea of customer service....well they plain SUCK!!! I'll be filing a complaint with the US Postal Service (I paid by Money Order) for mail fraud at lunch time today....I guess I'll let them deal with it!! Buyer Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:24 PM
emsjr
3rd Gear
Warned you!

In an earlier post in this thread I stated my problems with Blake. After I posted my reply about his service, I was PayPaled back the money I had sent him 2 months earlier for a gas cap for my MINI. No message, no sorry, no F-you, nothing. I tried to call him, I even e-mailed him back stating I would still like to do business with him, but he would have to do better on service promises before I would send him any more money. Never heard a word. So I would second the "buyer beware" warning.

I must state the three times I spoke with him he couldn't have been nicer and more helpful, but is service is unacceptable by any standards.

Too bad, his stuff looks real nice.

Gene

Old 03-04-2008, 05:23 AM
JohnnyG
3rd Gear
Hey Gene- yeah, I saw your warning after I had already placed my order, I was hoping your issues were a fluke type problem but I guess not....I missed getting to the post office yesterday due to work but I've already planned my lunch hour to go there today....I understand things come up but when you outright lie to me, then I get pissed.....2X now he's told me he would ship my cover....then it didn't happen cuz he had to be put into the hospital (which I can't prove one way or the other)....even offered my funds back.....I wonder how many times he's had to refund peoples $$$ cuz he can't follow through with what he says??? Soon enough this will be out of my hands, I'll let the Postal Service deal with him....they don't like postal fraud

Old 03-04-2008, 07:53 AM
ixotuckeroxi
2nd Gear
did this guy give a (legit) excuse as to why he hasnt shipped/made/whatever the covers?

is it an issue of not having the cover in stock or not shipping it out?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:10 AM
JohnnyG
3rd Gear
the only excuse I've received from him was that he had to go to the hospital for being sick, I didn't ask the sickness....but he also told me it would ship 2 weeks prior to him being admitted, then it would ship on Sat and this coming Sat will be 2 weeks again!! Since I wrote my last post (I did send him emails as well) I have received an email back from him stating my funds were being refunded via Pay Pal.....well I didn't pay with Pay Pal (I used a USPS MO) and I have NO intention of starting a PP account....he hasn't responded to any emails since!! I guess I won't be getting my vent cover now....I will however be following up with the USPS...infact I'm going there now....

Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 AM
MaxMini81
Wanderer
Thanks for all of the updates and warnings guys. this is certainly a piece that I think a lot of us are interested in. But if the service is gonna be like this, whats the point. Maybe another vendor could get on production of a similar product. There seems to be a market for it... Hint Hint... keep us posted because if this all turns around I'd love to get one.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Vent Cover...anybody tried it?