Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior ? Parcel Shelf vs. 4 Rally Lights ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003 | 06:05 PM
Chitown_COOP
|
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
As I mentioned far down in another thread in a distant galaxy:

I want a parcel shelf.

I have 4 Rally Lights, wired to two switches set into my US dash panel.

If I were to get a parcel shelf, I fear that there would be no attractive way to attach the two switches to the parcel shelf.

Has anyone put two switches on a parcel shelf and/or does anyone think that it's possible?

Dear Moderator: Feel free to bounce forums if necessary...

Old 07-23-2003 | 05:57 PM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
Can't you just wire them to one switch? It only powers the relays and that doesn't take too much power. Switch should be able to take it.

Old 07-23-2003 | 06:10 PM
Chitown_COOP
|
I'll be honest with you:

I don't know a damn thing about what a switch can take and how to wire it, but the reason I have two switches is related to Illinois laws which state that you can't have more than 4 headlights at any one time. This isn't really a problem for me, since I mostly just use them to flash other MINI's with .

So talk to me here: would it be 1) very, very safe and 2) very, very easy for me to send all four lights to a single switch, or, in other words two relays to one switch?

Maybe when I actually break down and buy a parcel shelf I'll ask for serious install notes, if it's doable.

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2003 | 06:29 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
You should have no trouble mounting two small switches in the space provided for the 'stock' one. Since you are using aftermarket lights by the sound of it, you can substitute just about any type of switches that will fit in the space. Since the better lighting kits are provided with relays to control the power to the lamps, there is very little current flow through the switches. You can use just about any type of stitch you can dig up.

Old 07-23-2003 | 08:32 PM
Chitown_COOP
|
Just to clarify, I AM using MINI spec Rally lights...don't know if this makes a whole hell of a lot of difference.....

Old 07-25-2003 | 12:58 PM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
Why don't you talk to the local Service Manager as to how they would wire up a set of four lights. I think the instructions (installation) may show that option but it is controlled by the same switch. I'm w/ Greatbear on this, the relays take most of the power.

Old 07-27-2003 | 09:49 PM
Normalizer
4th Gear
Same problem here.... two sets of MINI rally lights, and a parcel shelf. The existing cutout for a switch in the parcel shelf does NOT match the switch for the US rally lights, someone told me the cutout was meant for something else and not the rally light switch. Having said that, it appears that with some creative dremmeling, glueing, and modding some switch backs from plastic that one could get two sets of switches in the euro parcel shelf.

I'm just so lazy that rather than start on it I've plut the parcel shelf in the garage to work on another day.

Modding both lights to run off one switch is the easy answer, but I like having the ability to control both sets of lights independently, not to mention turning one set on while the other is off and then just pressing both swithches in at the same time repeatedly, creating a kind of lightshow from the rally lights.

Old 07-28-2003 | 01:40 PM
Wave
1st Gear
Who installed you lights. Did you just buy two sets from the dealer? How is the performance. Worth the $$$$

Thanks

Old 07-28-2003 | 01:46 PM
SpoMini
3rd Gear
i got the 4 light bar from MiniSport and wired it to the stock switch from Mini (bought the switch and harness from Mini sans the stock lights). And it looks marvelous! Only one switch too which mounts in the Knee bolster on the left side.

Old 01-08-2004 | 08:24 PM
Chitown_COOP
|
Well, the day has finally arrived...six months later! I've got the parcel shelf, and I've already removed the OEM knee bolster, and switches. The relays were in the way, but I just cut the zip tie, and it looks like the shelf should just squeak into place.

I'm willing to do the requisite Dremelling required to fit the two switches onto the panel, and I have measured multiple different ways to make it fit, and I'm 99% sure that it will go, but of course, it will be a bit of a pain.

Does ANYONE who knows about this sort of thing (I'm looking right at you Greatbear ) think that they could explain to me how to do whatever I need to do to make one switch run both relays? Where would I need to splice, and how? Would it be totally safe?

Thank you!

Old 01-09-2004 | 02:48 AM
movieman
4th Gear
Someone here has done this. They mounted two switches (a blue and a green I think) to the panel on the Parcel Shelf. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=20148

Old 01-09-2004 | 05:34 AM
Chitown_COOP
|
Thanks, that setup is definitely an option, but I'm useing an OEM setup, and I'm really wondering now whether or not it's possible to splice together the switch wiring (the wiring running out of the relays) and use just one switch to run the whole setup.

Old 01-09-2004 | 01:17 PM
Chitown_COOP
|
Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm hoping to do most of the work tomorrow, so I'd really appreciate it if you smarty-pants-type-people have any ideas at all that you'd post ASAP! Thanks, and sorry for being a "bouncer"!

Old 01-09-2004 | 02:36 PM
~sugar~
3rd Gear
We "daisy-chained" my two extra rally lights into my pre-existing wiring from the rally lights that the dealership did. Pretty much two wires connected into the one.

Old 01-09-2004 | 02:44 PM
Chitown_COOP
|
Was that done on the switch side of the relay (i.e. you spliced the four wires running from the switch to the primary relay into the four wires running from the secondary relay)?

Do you perhaps have pictures of how this was done?

Old 02-29-2004 | 09:17 PM
Normalizer
4th Gear
just hoping someone gives an answer on this one...

MINI of Nashville installed my two sets of lights before I orderd the parcel shelf, which is still sitting in the garage waiting for a solution. I'd like to keep the two switches, would like to see some else's work before starting on mine though.

Old 02-29-2004 | 09:41 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
>>I'd like to keep the two switches, would like to see some else's work before starting on mine though.

A picture from EliteCooperS

Old 02-29-2004 | 09:56 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
>>Was that done on the switch side of the relay (i.e. you spliced the four wires running from the switch to the primary relay into the four wires running from the secondary relay)?

Try to join the wires at the switch. As most of the aux lights, the switch in "on" position allows the low-voltage current of the turn-on lead to pass through for the lights to come on. The actual power comsumption of the lights is coming directly from the battery. :smile: