Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Almost perfect Skid Plate install

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003 | 10:19 AM
Chitown_COOP
|
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Well, I got under the car to install the skid plate today. Everything went just swimmingly, start to finish...*EXCEPT* the re-used factory screw on the right side (passenger side) was not possible to be replaced on the new plate. Apparently, when they drilled this thing, it was askew by about a half inch. Essentially, the hole for the right screw is off by about 1/4 of an inch, and no amount of tugging would get it to move in that direction.

My question is: the skid plate seems really tight on there with all the big bolts and whatnot. Is it really necessary for the plate to be held by that one screw? It's not going to rattle, because that portion of the frame is pushed very hard against the correct area due to all the other stuff being tightened...I'm just thinking that it's not really worth it to drill another hole in the thing so that I can attach that screw. What's everybody else think?

Old 07-29-2003 | 10:24 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Should be OK. I just dropped my plate over the weekend to change the oil (3rd time I've dropped the skid plate since install) and I noticed that one of those duz type screws was loose too. No harm done.

Old 07-29-2003 | 10:31 AM
Chitown_COOP
|
Do you have to drop the plate to change the oil? Mine looks like there is a sizable hole directly beneath the drain plug...or does oil "pressure" cause it to leap past the hole?

Old 07-29-2003 | 10:37 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
You do not HAVE to, however as I really dislike mopping oil up when it splashes on the plate (that first Whoosh) and then drips on my garage floor, I prefer dropping the plate. Also I can inspect my p.s. fan and anything else of interest down there.

Just Your Typical Anally Retentive MCS Owner.

Old 07-29-2003 | 10:40 AM
ernesto
Chitown,

I don't think you will have a problem without one of the front fasteners (the four at the back do all the work), but you may want to get a small piece of foam to put between the plate and the underside of the car.. Even though it is a tight fit, it may vibrate at some rpm's.

Steve

Old 07-29-2003 | 10:45 AM
8ball
6th Gear

>>
>>I don't think you will have a problem without one of the front fasteners (the four at the back do all the work), but you may want to get a small piece of foam to put between the plate and the underside of the car..

... or double-check to see that everything is indeed lined-up and then drill a hole in the correct place and put the screw where it belongs ...

Old 07-30-2003 | 08:14 AM
thejamesgang
2nd Gear
I've always found that correct maintenance evolutions require parts to be left over :smile:

Old 07-30-2003 | 09:10 PM
Chitown_COOP
|
8ball's got the right idea...as soon as I change my oil (in a week or two) I'll take the whole thing off, drill the hole, and put it all straight....but I appreciate your concept jamesgang!

Did you ever see the Brady Bunch episode when Greg rebuilds his engine? Of course it's kicking and smoking after he gets the car started, and Dad points to a large box, overflowing with parts. "What's that Greg?" he asks. Greg replies "Oh, those were extra. I didn't need them."

Old 07-31-2003 | 08:36 PM
MsBrit
4th Gear
The same thing happened to me last weekend. I contacted the supplier and they told me "There is a difference in the bolt position on a March '03 and later car as
> compared to the earlier ones. The bolt hole which is out of place as
> compared to the car indicates this to be so. . . that your vehicle was
built
> after Mar 03, that is. We are going to be getting the correctly made
> skidplates here in a month or so (perhaps less actually). " They have offered to replace it for me, but I think I will have a new hole drilled to secure it in place.

>>Well, I got under the car to install the skid plate today. Everything went just swimmingly, start to finish...*EXCEPT* the re-used factory screw on the right side (passenger side) was not possible to be replaced on the new plate. Apparently, when they drilled this thing, it was askew by about a half inch. Essentially, the hole for the right screw is off by about 1/4 of an inch, and no amount of tugging would get it to move in that direction.
>>
>>My question is: the skid plate seems really tight on there with all the big bolts and whatnot. Is it really necessary for the plate to be held by that one screw? It's not going to rattle, because that portion of the frame is pushed very hard against the correct area due to all the other stuff being tightened...I'm just thinking that it's not really worth it to drill another hole in the thing so that I can attach that screw. What's everybody else think?
>>