Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior oil temp/pressure adapter update

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:49 AM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
oil temp/pressure adapter update

So this went over like a lead balloon in the main forum. Maybe some people here are interested.

This is a project that doesn't really seem to fit into some of the mod related forums as it's mechanical in nature but not related to interior or the drivetrain.

Anyway, I bought a pro-comp oil temp gauge and took measurements of the temp sensor and the existing oil pressure switch on the side of the head. It's going to be tight but I think I can get an adapter in there.

So I'm working with a mechanical engineer to have a 3D model made and we'll send it off to a local machine shop in about a week. We already have a rough drawing sketched out on a white board. I never could find something simple that would work with even minor modification.

I can see why people who wanted oil pressure could have a problem. Most oil pressure senders are quite large. However, pro-comp sells a really small version. The adapter I have made would accommodate one or the other sensor. Once we try that out, I could see that we might be able to make a slightly larger one to accommodate one of each sensors.

So far Mini Cooper parts don't seem too bad. I bought several of the sealing washers for the oil pressure switch. It's a pretty complicated washer with an integrated viton o-ring with sealing lips on both sides similar to a mini oil seal. Still, these washers were only $1.70 from the dealer.

I had a fun time trying to remove and reinstall the switch as I only had an impact deep well socket in 22mm. While that was okay to remove the switch, the socket wouldn't bite the hex head enough to put more than about 1 ft lb before it slipped. Had to get the wife to run to the store to get a chrome socket. I was too lazy to take out other car out of storage. :-p She got to the hardware store to find it closed and while parked in the parking lot someone tapped her car while parking. The guy who did it wouldn't even own up to it and walked into the store. I told her to call the police who promptly came out on a lazy Sunday afternoon and gave him a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident.

In the end I had a thin wall deep 22mm socket hidden away that worked. Doh! With all the aluminum on this car, I'm going to need a torque wrench with a lower range of torque settings.

Since I posted this in the main forum I now have a model for the part that's about 90% there. We just have some tweaking to do then send it off a few places to quote.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the forum where people have been talking about adding gauges, so a better location than the main Coupe forum.

Are you asking for a specific response? What kind of feedback did you want?

Old 04-07-2008, 12:59 PM
johne123
3rd Gear
I just figured at least some people would be interested.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:09 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet, im definitely interested, keep us posted.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:25 PM
bushman66
2nd Gear
yep...count me in as VERY interested. I want to add water temp (easy to splice into the main hose...not a big fan of tappiing the overflow) and oil pressure (haha...not so easy as you are seeing).

Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 PM
MadHatter
5th Gear
promini sells an adapter that they don't advertise by itself, that has three taps, plus the original end. It ends up being a little long, and the heat buildup on the electrical connector that is on the oem pressure switch is high enough to require a heat 'shield' of some sort.

It works on my car fine, Sounds like your adapter might be nicer when done. What a pain to work at this location.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
johne123
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MadHatter
promini sells an adapter that they don't advertise by itself, that has three taps, plus the original end. It ends up being a little long, and the heat buildup on the electrical connector that is on the oem pressure switch is high enough to require a heat 'shield' of some sort.

It works on my car fine, Sounds like your adapter might be nicer when done. What a pain to work at this location.
Isn't your car an R53? Different size threads on the R56 head. The part I'm designing is only going to stick out 32mm plus the original pressure switch. Damn, I hope the wiring harness to the pressure switch is long enough.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 AM
bushman66
2nd Gear
Anyway to post some pics of the model? Let's get this part done!!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:01 PM
johne123
3rd Gear
ask and ye shall receive

We still have some tweaking of the dimensions but we should be close enough for a ball park quote from a few local machine shops.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:31 PM
bushman66
2nd Gear
Any update on this?