Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior The Amazingrando's beltline blackout kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008 | 02:00 PM
jaridp
4th Gear
Looks fantastic!! Do my car next? Hahahhaha!!!!

Old 04-14-2008 | 02:18 PM
amazingrando
|
Auto on Sport Button guy
Thanks! but It's all your fault, you talked me into it

Old 04-14-2008 | 04:46 PM
jaridp
4th Gear
heck thats probably the cheapest mod you'll ever do! Youre welcome!

Old 04-14-2008 | 05:40 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
hey FYI. i think it looks real good too. i just hope it holds out for you. but, if not at least we know some options!

Old 04-22-2008 | 01:07 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
FWIW i just got my tape from hillas and it IS the same exact tape that outmotoring is using. gonna go out right now and do the deed. it's a nice day outside.

it took awhile to receive the tape but, there is a ton of tape here to do quite a few MINI's or in case you make a lot of mistakes- for $6 more than outmotoring. i also found it at terry's auto body supply online. a little more expensive but, they ship faster.

Old 04-22-2008 | 01:15 PM
amazingrando
|
Auto on Sport Button guy
Cool

Would like to see some close up pics when your done

Old 04-22-2008 | 05:02 PM
Dory the Cooper
2nd Gear
just wondering if it is really that hard to do this? i mean i have put tape on things before....is it sorta like that? whiteyanderson you are close enough to me want to instal another beltline blackout lol

Old 04-22-2008 | 05:09 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
i finished after about 90 minutes. took my sweet time looks f'ing sweet. i'm going with a blue/black/chrome scheme on the R50. leaving the chrome on the front grill and the back bumper and hatch. everything on the side is black (except door handles undecided on them so far). but, i just bought a black OEM R50 spoiler and that wil go on hopefully next week or sooner when it arrives. so that'll add to the blue black scheme.

it isn't that hard to do i took longer than most might cause i am super OCD. i had plenty of tape so on one section i kept screwing it up so i redid it like 3 times to get it right. the key is patience, cutting a strip for the section you're doing and applying a couple inches at a time.

it was a back and knee killer though. especially under the windshield.

Dory i'd be glad to help BUT, the tape i have is too small for the R56 beltline.

gonna go take a few pics right now.

Old 04-22-2008 | 05:23 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
wow. hard to imagine i just washed and waxed sunday. the pollen out here in noho is crazy already coated the MINI you can see how fast the dust collects already there is pollen on top of the blackout too.. i hate that. anyhow. 3 pics took them real fast:

Last edited by whiteyanderson; 04-22-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2008 | 05:58 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Originally Posted by whiteyanderson
it isn't that hard to do i took longer than most might cause i am super OCD. i had plenty of tape so on one section i kept screwing it up so i redid it like 3 times to get it right. the key is patience, cutting a strip for the section you're doing and applying a couple inches at a time.
it was a back and knee killer though. especially under the windshield.
Yeah, what he said. It really depends on how OCD you are. It can be tedious but in my opinion, well worth it. On the R56 I noticed that the chrome above the hood is ever so slightly wider than the other chrome so you have to be careful on the coverage.

Old 04-22-2008 | 06:02 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
yes definitely worth the tedious job. makes an amazing difference.

Old 04-24-2008 | 03:36 PM
Dory the Cooper
2nd Gear
so for someone who has never worked on a car could i do it? do you need any special tools? also did you do your tail lights? i am just scared if i buy the tape and i mess the whole thing up....i want some mods for my hot car!! also white i know it is off topic but since we live in the same area where did you get your windows tinted?

Old 04-24-2008 | 04:03 PM
jw34
6th Gear
The nice thing about doing this is that if you don't like it or mess up, it just comes off. It really has nothing to do with working on cars as much as it has to do with being patient and decent with details.

The only things I used were:
-Alcohol to clean off the chrome first
-scissors and an x-acto knife
-a burnisher (flat plastic object for smoothing the ends)

Go slow, line things up and watch for bubbles.

Old 04-24-2008 | 04:15 PM
Dory the Cooper
2nd Gear
it seems easy i just dont want to mess my car up....she is my baby! I also know there are several places you can order/buy the tape....which is the best or cheapest but still good quality?

Old 04-24-2008 | 05:47 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dory the Cooper
also did you do your tail lights? i am just scared if i buy the tape and i mess the whole thing up....i want some mods for my hot car!! also white i know it is off topic but since we live in the same area where did you get your windows tinted?

my tails are not tinted, my arch lights are if that's waht you meant. i got the little arch light tint kit from outmotoring it's like $10 shipped. takes like 10 minutes to tint them- real simple. it's just 4 little tinted peices of film that fit right on top of the lights. you can still see the lights at night etc.

my windows were done at sunshield in sherman oaks on van nuys for $125. ther are LOT darker than they look because when i took the pics the sun was shining right through the windows.

Old 04-24-2008 | 06:03 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
I used 3M Vinyl Electrical tape and it's been on for over 6 months now. No problems, never had to redo it.

Old 04-25-2008 | 03:24 AM
amazingrando
|
Auto on Sport Button guy
Originally Posted by whiteyanderson
wow. hard to imagine i just washed and waxed sunday. the pollen out here in noho is crazy already coated the MINI you can see how fast the dust collects already there is pollen on top of the blackout too.. i hate that. anyhow. 3 pics took them real fast:

It looks really good. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by ninjlao
I used 3M Vinyl Electrical tape and it's been on for over 6 months now. No problems, never had to redo it.
I still have the 3M electrical tape on mine as well, not the stuff I have pictured, so yeah, I have updated my kit! It is tedious work but very well worth it. I'm in no mood to rip it off and redo it at this point though, but perhaps this summer it will make for a nice sunny day project.

Old 05-16-2008 | 11:55 AM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Anybody ever try to use sand paper spray primer for flexable parts and then paint? The light trim and/or grill bezel?

Last edited by tedbone72P; 05-16-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: needed to clarify
Old 05-24-2008 | 06:01 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
I got my 3M tape yesterday. I'll do my beltline some time over the long weekend.

Old 05-25-2008 | 09:09 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Beltline Finished Today

I just spent about 2 hours doing my beltline. I bought the 3M tape and it was easy to use. Of course, I got better at it as I went along and saved the beltline over the hood for last, since I thought that would be most difficult and I needed the practice.

Here are a few shots I took of it after I was finished.

Just so you don't think I did this alone...not that he was much help but he was there for moral support

Old 05-25-2008 | 09:13 AM
Dory the Cooper
2nd Gear
In the words of Borat....VERY NICE! HOW MUCH?

Your car looks sharp now! And that big dog aint bad either

Old 05-25-2008 | 09:20 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
In the words of Borat....VERY NICE! HOW MUCH?

Your car looks sharp now! And that big dog aint bad either
Thanks!!

I bought the striping tape from here:

http://3m.hillas.com/pc-24305-3172-3...s-black-3.aspx

It was $25 but I wanted to make sure I had enough extra in case I messed up. I did need to redo a couple of sections and may end up redoing the section on the driver's door, it has a couple of bubbles.

As I said, I got better at it as I went and was a pro by the time I did the hood area.

I'm waiting on my black grill pieces to come in. I plan to do a little at a time until the entire thing is blacked out.

Old 05-25-2008 | 09:21 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
And that big dog aint bad either

I tried to get him to help but he just wanted to nap.

Old 05-25-2008 | 09:26 AM
drewster
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tjtull
Thanks!!

I bought the striping tape from here:

http://3m.hillas.com/pc-24305-3172-3...s-black-3.aspx
hello, i see you bought the 3/4" wide tape, i have the outmotoring 5/8" tape and have been meaning to try the 3/4" instead (for the lower gloss). When you were applying the tape did you meet up with the edge of the upper rubber moulding or does your tape cover over the rubber?

Old 05-25-2008 | 09:29 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by drewster
hello, i see you bought the 3/4" wide tape, i have the outmotoring 5/8" tape and have been meaning to try the 3/4" instead (for the lower gloss). When you were applying the tape did you meet up with the edge of the upper rubber moulding or does your tape cover over the rubber?
It goes over the molding a little bit but not much. It's really unpreceptable. There were a couple of places where the tape barely covered the chrome, like around the corners on the hood.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior The Amazingrando's beltline blackout kit