Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:29 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool thanks.

I'm going to upgrade to a carbon fiber or M7 ram scoop sooner or later but for now this is a cheaper alternative for a awesome look.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:12 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the nuts are in plain sight when you open the hood..at least on mine...but that may be because i removed that piece of plastic when i installed my diverter/sprayer....cant remember.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 PM
MINI_chili
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea, there's 2 black pieces of plastic, mine are off right now too. I didn't see a reason for putting them back on

Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 PM
MrCooperS
I didn't have a chance to look at it during the day time but from what I saw tonight, it looks like I have to take off this piece that looks like a heat shield...or maybe I missed the other nuts because their covered in plastic. I'll check again during the day time tomorrow.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
my bolts fell out. scoop came off at 75 mph on the freeway. i ran back 1/4 mile to pick it up. luckily it wasn't broken but it was thrashed. i rattle canned it and zip tied it down to my hood. hehe

Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Professor
5th Gear
Did my handles last night. Not even close to being as difficult as some have made it out to be. I found it to be very easy myself. Information I found here helped out a great deal however.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 AM
MrCooperS
Originally Posted by Professor
Did my handles last night. Not even close to being as difficult as some have made it out to be. I found it to be very easy myself. Information I found here helped out a great deal however.
Did you use the index card method? Or did you take out the door handles?

I tried taking out the bolts today. I have a small range of tools, couldn't get it out. I've heard someone use small pliers on them?

Last edited by MrCooperS; 10-22-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Having the right tools is the key. That's why it was soo easy for you. I didnt have that little ratchet thing and was forced to use a needle nose vice grip with the bit attached to it. Took a very very long time. Glad to know that the information here on NAM was able to help others and make it a little easier for the next guy. Ya gotta love this place

Old 10-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Professor
5th Gear
Yes having the right tools is a must. I have a set of ratchet wrenches and an Allen tool that fits in the 10mm so that made it very fast.

I started color matching the chrome in the tail lights today and had to Dremmel the lense off. I only got one doen before I had to head off to work byt it looks so much better in dark silver .

Kinda makes me want to color match my grill, handles, and gas cap!

Ill get some shots up when I finish the other tail.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:27 PM
MrCooperS
Having a hard time getting out the hex nuts for the scoop...I def. don't have the right tools.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:55 PM
MINI_chili
3rd Gear
sorry it took so long to get pics up, but it was pouring rain and too dark for my phone to get a good pic

you have to remove the black plastic pieces

hope this helps

Old 10-23-2008, 01:37 PM
skillet
6th Gear
Put a towel over your engine bay when removing the nuts. This way they wont fall, and lose them...ask me how I know

Old 10-23-2008, 02:29 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Originally Posted by skillet
Put a towel over your engine bay when removing the nuts. This way they wont fall, and lose them...ask me how I know
+1.

but my nuts were for the headlights..

Old 10-23-2008, 04:14 PM
MrCooperS
Oh yeah, I actually did that when someone mention tools falling in and not coming back out.

Those pics are really good. The only problem is the two nuts on top (last picture) are really hard to get to.. my socket bit isn't deep enough and I'm afraid to strip them using pliers. It's also in the most awkward position. Hmm...

Old 10-26-2008, 07:33 AM
TRuTH
2nd Gear
Ok after reading this post for awhile I have been talked into plastidipping my headlight rings. One question how do you remove the chrome headlight rings?

Old 10-26-2008, 07:39 AM
TRuTH
2nd Gear
Never mind I found it.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TRuTH
Never mind I found it.
Just make sure you hold on to those clips. They like to fly. I lost one down the bowels of the engine bay :(

Make sure to get the inside edges really well.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 AM
MrCooperS
Got the sidemarkers out today. Everyday I try to get another piece out. What I'm stuck with right now is the right tools for the bonnet scoop.

I still can't find the right nuts to take off for the head light rings... I only found one. Am I suppose to take the whole entire headlight off to take off the rings? Is it possible for me to mask off the car and just spray the rings on the car?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:52 AM
skillet
6th Gear
Bonnet scoop is easy to do...I'm not sure what is giving you problems. I'm able to see all 4 and loosen them with my hands (after loosening them with a socket).

Headlight rings...I would suggest removing the headlights. you could mask them off and paint them, but I'd be afraid of the edges not adhering right. I just shot my door handles, and I'm having this issue. On the backside (where your fingers push the tab to open the door) I didn't shoot down in there far enough, and it's starting to peel up...Ugh...

Head lights are held in with 3 nuts, then if you have the headlight washers, you'll need to disconnect the fluid hose to the light. Then they just slide out toward the front of the car. It takes a little getting used to it, but on the second one, you'll have it out in 5 minutes

Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 AM
//MZero
4th Gear
Hey guys, don't know if you've seen the thread yet, but I figured I'd let you know that I'm compiling all this info into one DIY here

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=156693

Well, not THIS info...but how to do all of the above
Of course for the plastidip users...I guess its even easier :D

Last edited by //MZero; 10-27-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:19 AM
MrCooperS
Originally Posted by skillet
Bonnet scoop is easy to do...I'm not sure what is giving you problems. I'm able to see all 4 and loosen them with my hands (after loosening them with a socket).

Headlight rings...I would suggest removing the headlights. you could mask them off and paint them, but I'd be afraid of the edges not adhering right. I just shot my door handles, and I'm having this issue. On the backside (where your fingers push the tab to open the door) I didn't shoot down in there far enough, and it's starting to peel up...Ugh...

Head lights are held in with 3 nuts, then if you have the headlight washers, you'll need to disconnect the fluid hose to the light. Then they just slide out toward the front of the car. It takes a little getting used to it, but on the second one, you'll have it out in 5 minutes
Do you have to take off the entire headlight housing to see the other 2 nuts? I can't seem to find them.

The bonnet scoop is hard for me because I don't have a deep enough socket.

BTW for anyone doing the S markers. I'm doing it as we speak and my best tip is to use a hair dryer to remove the S. Sticky fellas...

Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 AM
skillet
6th Gear
Nope. All should be able to be seen by just looking at the back of the headlight. My wife has the car right now, so I can't go out and do an exact locate for you. As soon as she gets here, I'll verify for ya.

Just for your FYI, headlights and rings are all one piece until you pull out the whole housing. Then you'll want to use a small head flat blade screw driver to undo the clips and reomve the rings. After you have a couple off, you should be able to slide the rings off the lights. I was able to do it and not break any clips. Just take your time and you'll do great.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:19 AM
MrCooperS
Will do.

I have to stop my project with the sidemarkers wince the nozzle of the Plastidip is not working leaving micro pits and etc. Now I need a new can and cleaning plastidip from the sidemarkers is a real PIA.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 AM
skillet
6th Gear
I don't know how it works on dry plastidip, but use 90% isopropyl alcohol. I forgot to wipe my door handles off after I shot I coat of plastidip on there, and it took it right off like it was nothing

Old 10-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Professor
5th Gear
Not blacked out but here are the results of color matching the inside of the tails:

And my handles, fuel door, and belt line blacked:

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?