Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 PM
MINI_chili
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duvinclunk
After several weeks of having the plasti-dip on the door handles I must say "poo poo." With so much touching from the driver's side it has begun to peal up and you have to be super delicate with it. Rather have vinyl wrapped everything. In fact now that I saw how it all looked good after being black I have ordered replacements for it all. So I guess it did its purpose but I'll rest easy when I know my new parts will last a hell of a lot longer...
I think there may have been an application error. this stuff is pretty tough. or you may be harsh w/ you handles. I hardly touch mine, I basically just tough the black thing you pull on the inside. When I did my door handles, I didn't even use alcohol and I just used 2 coats of regular matte black spray paint over the chrome and it's held up fine for 5 months. It may also have to do with your climate
curious...

Old 11-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Dwell
4th Gear
I'm pretty happy with the plasti-dip results. Its a matte finish almost, even though I applied 4 to 5 coats, it did not turn glossy. It all looks very nice and I like how I didnt have to sand down chrome to get good results.

Its probably not for everyone tho. If you inspect it anally, sure, there are some flaws you'll find (I did mine with the door handles on the car....the keyhole has a slight tear, etc) so I think it depends how ridiculously critical you want to be with the stuff. Im not entering car shows or anything and need it to be 110% perfect. But for me right now, it works great- I dont see any issues visually and if it starts to come off, I redo it (got almost a full can left over anyways), and if I sell my car, someone might appreciate the chrome and in 10 minutes, chrome is back to normal.

Works great for me.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:11 AM
MINI_chili
3rd Gear
ignore this post

Old 11-23-2008, 08:20 PM
100percentcotton
2nd Gear
Has anyone had any luck peeling plastidip off of paint? I did my hood scoop and I'm not thrilled with it, but it doesn't seem to want to peel off to easily

Old 11-24-2008, 03:08 PM
100percentcotton
2nd Gear
Ignore my last post

Old 11-25-2008, 05:28 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
i am so happy i found this thread... cant wait to have an inexpensive black grille surround!

also, anyone peeled this stuff off after a long time yet?... im talkin like 8 months....a year?.. just curious that there really are no ill effects on the stock chrome pieces...

Old 11-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Dwell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
i am so happy i found this thread... cant wait to have an inexpensive black grille surround!

also, anyone peeled this stuff off after a long time yet?... im talkin like 8 months....a year?.. just curious that there really are no ill effects on the stock chrome pieces...
depends what it is, i think. gas cap is perfect as day 1, so are the tailights simply because they are never really touched.

the door handles- mine is perfect on the driver side. the GF and co-workers tend to open to doors like bulls in a china cabinet, so a little wear about half an inch (looks like its going to start unpeeling). i also didnt apply it down to the part where the fingers touch to unlock the door- might be my mistake but i didnt want paint inside the handle part. if i redo, ill get it deep inside.

when i open the door, i only touch the finger portion- never touch the handle, so thats helping it last a very long time.

im pretty happy with the product.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:32 PM
wkndracr
4th Gear
just as a testament to plasti-dip, Today for the heck of it i sprayed a mist coat on the corner lights of my old saab to smoke them, and less than an hour later i ran it through an automatic car wash, and they actually held up just fine! I was quite surprised.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:42 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iwashmycar

I've had some of my tools done for going on two years now. Just for fun I decided to peel it off a set of pliers. Came right off, and looked fine underneath. Remember, the thicker you put it on, the less likely it will rub off. and when you want to remove it, itll pull up in one piece, as opposed to pulling off a thin layer that peels up in pieces when you pull.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 PM
rallymaniac
4th Gear
OK, i know this may sound stupid or maybe it was asked before but I don't have time to read all 13 pages: what would you guys say about painting rims with this PlastiDip???
200dgrees should be plenty enough for rims I think.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:52 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
its been done already, with positive results. and wheels dont get that hot, so theres no reason to be concerned about temperatures.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 PM
rallymaniac
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MUShadd
its been done already, with positive results. and wheels dont get that hot, so theres no reason to be concerned about temperatures.
sweet, I'm doing it this weekend then
Black OZ Racing, here I come

Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rallymaniac
sweet, I'm doing it this weekend then
Black OZ Racing, here I come
Make sure you get them balanced as soon as you are done, and then post pics!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:54 AM
BlueS
1st Gear
Do you think balancing is necessary if you spray it on evenly?

Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BlueS
Do you think balancing is necessary if you spray it on evenly?
I don't think Plasti-dip isn't heavy enough to throw off the balance of the wheels. It's just the mounting and unmounting of the wheel sometime throws off the balance.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:18 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
it was a joke surely

Old 02-14-2009, 12:59 PM
rallymaniac
4th Gear
yeah, unfortunately this will have to be postponed. I hit a huuuuge pothole on Thursday and got 2 flat tires on the spot. So the OZ's are on the MINI now and will have to wait untill I get winter tire replacements.
Also, the rubber on the OZ's is almost 7 years old so i'm thinking about buying tires first, mount them and then spray to avoid "paint" damage during tire mounting.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Cali44redrocket
3rd Gear
I am getting ready to head to the Home Depot near my house and tackle the gas cap and side markers on my car. Also prob gonna pick up some electrical tape and blackout the belt line. If I get brave I might try and do the emblems too. Not sure if I want to mess it up though. Are the emblems just stuck on with double sided tape? Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics with results!

Old 02-15-2009, 02:45 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
yes, held on with tape only.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Cali44redrocket
3rd Gear
Well I did it. The side markers, gas cap, front/rear/emblems, and blacked out belt line. Looks killer compared to before! I wish that I had enough time to do my headlight rings and door handles though. Oh well....Guess that will have to come next weekend. The door handles and headlight rings look a touch out of place now that there chrome but I'll have to live with it till I can get those two parts done. Also....I'm sure that people have done it before...but....has anybody done a Joey mod on early xenon headlights? I'm thinking about doing it to the rears now too. How do you get to the rear tail light units though?
And to make things extra special I had a helper. The g/f was out there with me.....I told her the more she helps me with my car, the longer she will stay around! hahahaha

Old 02-15-2009, 07:35 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
yes, held on with tape only.
I thought the mini wings were permanently mounted...

Old 02-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Cali44redrocket
3rd Gear
Nope....Just a blow drier, floss and a lot of patience. They came off...I plastidiped them too. Turned out great....I taped the middle part off, then exacto-knifed the plastidip and it came right off. Then double sided tape.....presto....you now have blacked out wings!

Tip.....best way is to take about 4-5 strands of floss and twist it together to make is stronger. Otherwise it will take a very long time. IMO

Old 02-16-2009, 08:58 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
I did joey mod with the old and new style xenon lamps. old style is harder to open up than the new.

and you can access your your tails through the compartments in your trunk. just remove the cover, and reach behind. there is one nut holding the tail lamp in as well as a couple clips you have to push in.

and no the emblems are not permanent. but the holes that are behind them make it a little more difficult if you wish to remove them for good.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:50 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
and no the emblems are not permanent. but the holes that are behind them make it a little more difficult if you wish to remove them for good.
That's what i was wondering, whether or not there were holes.

but thanks i will get to that when i go home next, i too am going to spray my wheels. :D

Old 02-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Cali44redrocket
3rd Gear
To be honest with you they aren't that hard to get off even though they have the two parts that stick into the holes. It just takes some patience and a little heat to get it going. Let me know how the wheels turn out! I have been wanting to black mine out for a while now, just haven't been brave enough hahaha

Hey Spade....where did you get the R53 emblems at? I have been trying to find those in black to replace the cooper s on my car without any luck! Wonder if I would have to plastidip those too. Hmmmm...

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?