Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just be careful...I accidently broke one of the mounting posts removing my front one, but it Krazy Glued right back on.

Remounted mine tonight. Will post pictures shortly...

Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cali44redrocket
To be honest with you they aren't that hard to get off even though they have the two parts that stick into the holes. It just takes some patience and a little heat to get it going. Let me know how the wheels turn out! I have been wanting to black mine out for a while now, just haven't been brave enough hahaha

Hey Spade....where did you get the R53 emblems at? I have been trying to find those in black to replace the cooper s on my car without any luck! Wonder if I would have to plastidip those too. Hmmmm...
remember plasti-dip is removable... so idk why you're scared to!
But i will let ya know when i do and i will post pics

here ya go!
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...er-badges.html

just dip them and you've got black ones

Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BlueS
Do you think balancing is necessary if you spray it on evenly?
Originally Posted by call it spade
I don't think Plasti-dip isn't heavy enough to throw off the balance of the wheels. It's just the mounting and unmounting of the wheel sometime throws off the balance.
Originally Posted by WLSH BST
it was a joke surely

Nope, not joking. A wheel spinning several thousand times a minute is not something you want out of balance if you can avoid it. Besides to paint it correctly you need to remove the wheel weights anyway. Also balancing is dirt cheap.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:27 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RussellCory
Nope, not joking. A wheel spinning several thousand times a minute is not something you want out of balance if you can avoid it. Besides to paint it correctly you need to remove the wheel weights anyway. Also balancing is dirt cheap.
but this isn't painting it correctly, it is plastidip. Plasti-dip is easily removed and when a wheel is spinning several thousand times a minute those weights that you stuck on top of that removable plasti-dip... fling there they go off the wheel. spray over the weights...

Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 AM
BlueS
1st Gear
Anybody have pictures of plasti-dipped rims?

Old 02-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
As for the rims...how easy can they be cleaned? I'm concerned about rubbing off the material as I clean off the brake dust?

My wheel need a new coat of white before AMVIV (but after I put on my soon-to-arrive ceramic brake pads). Trying to decide between paint or 'dip.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Cali44redrocket
3rd Gear
Well just got the headlight rings done on my car. Looks great. Even snapped a few pics with my camera phone.

Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?-pic-0002.jpg

Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?-pic-0003.jpg

Attachment 40256

Attached Thumbnails Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?-pic-0006.jpg  
Old 02-19-2009, 08:43 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u missed some chrome on the badge

Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Cali44redrocket
3rd Gear
lol.....i figured somebody would say that. But I like the way that it turned out with the contrast. It's kinda how I did my side markers too.....I left the "S" chrome. Makes a huge difference in the overall appearance of the car.
Kinda wanna Joey the headlights and tail lights too now. Has anybody done the tail lights black inside instead of chrome????
I'm still a little bit nervous to try the door handle's though! I've heard horror stories about people that couldn't lock their doors once they put the handles back on. Obviously somebody did something wrong....but still. Anybody know where theres a DYI to remove the door handles???? THX!

Last edited by Cali44redrocket; 02-19-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:04 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Recently ordered OEM Body Color Headlight trim rings from Aesthetic Creations Inc.....I'll post some pics after install. THey have door handle covers and gas cap covers as well in any color.....prices are not bad either.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:40 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
i ordered their handles and emblem covers, just out of curiousity. hopefully they wont take TOO long to ship.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:50 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
I'm confused. What's the difference between the comfort and standard? they come in pairs right?

Old 02-20-2009, 04:27 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by MUShadd
i ordered their handles and emblem covers, just out of curiousity. hopefully they wont take TOO long to ship.
Great! Will be looking forward to hearing your opinions. BTW: Your new M7 Scoop looks awesome.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Jeffsmashkot
3rd Gear
Couple of quick questions.

Can you bake headlights with the chrome trim on for 05-06 xenons?
How is the light output of the high beams if you paint all the reflective chrome?

Any other tricks to get the side markers off? Following the guide leads me to believe that I'll snap the side marker in two instead of having it pop out in one piece.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:45 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
I'm confused. What's the difference between the comfort and standard? they come in pairs right?
comfort is an option on newer MINIs, which has a 'button' on the handle. apparently cars with this equipped dont have to use their keys to unlock the car. it detects the key in ur pocket.

Originally Posted by Jeffsmashkot
Couple of quick questions.

Can you bake headlights with the chrome trim on for 05-06 xenons?
How is the light output of the high beams if you paint all the reflective chrome?

you can, but why would you? Just pop them off...very easy once u have the headlamps off the car. and light output would be horrible if you paint the reflective chrome that surrounds the bulb.

Any other tricks to get the side markers off? Following the guide leads me to believe that I'll snap the side marker in two instead of having it pop out in one piece.
not much else to it...just reach from inside the bonnet and push. one side has a clip and the other has a stud that uses friction to pop into a hole.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:49 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MUShadd
comfort is an option on newer MINIs, which has a 'button' on the handle. apparently cars with this equipped dont have to use their keys to unlock the car. it detects the key in ur pocket.
that's kind of dangerous I think.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
ugliboi_87
2nd Gear
hey, how did you take off the emblems? can you show me how?

Originally Posted by pauliekeys
Ok, I lied, I had to do two more pieces. The front and rear emblems !

Chrome gone ! I'm done, .................................................. for now !

Old 02-23-2009, 10:58 AM
skillet
6th Gear
You don't have to remove them... I didn't. I just used painters tape, and slid it up and under them emblem. Make sure when you're done to take an exacto knife and trim around the edges, so when you remove the tape, it doesn't peel your plasti-dip off

If you must absolutely remove them, grab some floss or fishing line and slide it back and forth cutting through the double sided adhesive underneath.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:59 AM
n733lk
5th Gear
Check out http://www.aestheticreations.net/moldedparts.htm

I haven't used them, yet. But they look great and and the threads are very positive.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Originally Posted by skillet
You don't have to remove them... I didn't. I just used painters tape, and slid it up and under them emblem. Make sure when you're done to take an exacto knife and trim around the edges, so when you remove the tape, it doesn't peel your plasti-dip off

If you must absolutely remove them, grab some floss or fishing line and slide it back and forth cutting through the double sided adhesive underneath.
I just used notecards and slid those under the emblems.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:57 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ugliboi_87
hey, how did you take off the emblems? can you show me how?
Use dental floss and slide it under and use a sawing motion to get under the tape. There are two prongs in the middle so that part will need to be pried off. Just be careful and take your time. It's pretty easy.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:58 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
that's kind of dangerous I think.

It's not dangerous. It uses an RFID chip in the key. It's the same technology that is being used in the new US Passports basically. I read about a guy who implanted one into his hand and used it to get into his house and car.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Originally Posted by xnotfunkylex
It's not dangerous. It uses an RFID chip in the key. It's the same technology that is being used in the new US Passports basically. I read about a guy who implanted one into his hand and used it to get into his house and car.
Not dangerous as in harmful. Nevermind i solved my own confusion. It's all good. I was just thinking what if you walked by your car on accident and it unlocked and you didn't know and some one stole out of it, that kind of dangerous...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:13 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
I THINK you have the touch the little button on the handle...but thats just a guess. Never had this option on a vehicle so im not entirely sure.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:47 PM
coopercabra
Neutral
BlackOut

In the process of blacking out my 06 astro black mini. So far i have ordered the aero grill, the belt strip tape, and reflector tint. Here is my dilemma, the door handles are a pain in the *** to remove, vinyl is too pricey and I'm not even sure who or how I would install it. This plastidip paint looks and sounds like what I'm looking for, but the fact that it can be peeled off doesn't seem to ideal for door handles. Are there any matte black plastic paints that are more permanent? Plastidip for light trim and boot is durable? What paint is ideal for joey mod?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?