Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:21 AM
olakva
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffsmashkot
So, after receiving delivery of these, it turns out they're door cup guards.

So, I went ahead and place an order for some Aesthetic Creations covers.
you have ordered them from aesthetic creations? have you recieved them yet?? I ordered mine may this year and payed them at the same time , but I have not recieved them yet!!! it´s almost half a year..

Old 09-24-2009, 05:30 AM
Jeffsmashkot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by olakva
you have ordered them from aesthetic creations? have you recieved them yet?? I ordered mine may this year and payed them at the same time , but I have not recieved them yet!!! it´s almost half a year..
Way to bring up a sore subject.... Ordered them May 27th, still waiting... It's a running gag with one of my friends... Just about daily he asks "Dude, did you get your handles?". So I'm going to hurry up and wait some more.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:40 AM
olakva
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jeffsmashkot
Way to bring up a sore subject.... Ordered them May 27th, still waiting... It's a running gag with one of my friends... Just about daily he asks "Dude, did you get your handles?". So I'm going to hurry up and wait some more.
time to put up a warning flag for that sorry company then..

Old 09-24-2009, 06:02 AM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Just out of curiosity… Have any of you contacted AE and asked about your order?

I know that Mike runs a one man show, but he is an honest guy, so just ask.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:10 AM
olakva
1st Gear
I have asked several times.. and sometimes there is an answer - sometimes not.. when there was an answer was it about "its going to leave tomorrow or next week" or something like that.. but nothing..

Old 09-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Jeffsmashkot
3rd Gear
I got the same story... "I'm sending 17 units out now, you should be in the next batch." Call a month later "I'm sending another 1X units out now, you should be in the next batch". Asked for a refund, he got irritated, and basically said no refunds due to wait times, you should've read the FAQ section (buried on his page, and info like that should be on the order confirmation page, not a FAQ). He said that it takes a minimum of 6-8 weeks, which is very different than saying it takes 6-8 weeks.

I opened a complaint with paypal even though I'm past the 45 days. I emailed about the situation and I got a response saying the following:

PayPal reserves the right to reopen any claim for investigation within
180 days if multiple complaints are received about a single seller. We
will notify you if this is the case.

So, if anyone is in the same boat, you have options...

Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike is a good honest guy who just has a problem delivering his products.
I had the same type of problem two years ago when the door handle covers came out. It took months to get them. Then one was cracked.
BUT, when I told Mike he replaced both no questions and was very good about it.
So you just have to decide if you are willing to wait for a good product at a good price. (Yes I know sometimes an unacceptable wait but that is just the way it is.)

Old 09-24-2009, 10:17 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Same here, I waited around 2.5 months to get my handles but they are top knotch and were totally worth it.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Did the headlight rings by carefully unclipping them then did the tail light rings the next day followed by the gas cap. Need to take some better pictures but here is part of the look with more in my gallery

Old 11-09-2009, 12:52 PM
j_breezzy
1st Gear
ive had my clubman for 2 weeks and ive been itching to blackout all the chrome parts...does anyone have any upclose pics of their finished jobs w/ the plasti-dip?...this stuff sounds amazing...also, does anyone know if the black engine paint work well on the tailpipes?

Old 11-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by j_breezzy
ive had my clubman for 2 weeks and ive been itching to blackout all the chrome parts...does anyone have any upclose pics of their finished jobs w/ the plasti-dip?...this stuff sounds amazing...also, does anyone know if the black engine paint work well on the tailpipes?
I was extremely skeptical of this process however was extremely pleased with the results. I have several pictures in my gallery however if you want a particular shot shoot me an email address via pm and I will send you that shot.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Short trip today to play in the hills,

Old 11-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Texas Cooper
1st Gear
Weekend Project

I plastic koted the front headlamp bezels, gas cap and side markers using Plastic Kote.

I used 3M buffing pad, cleaned with laquer thinner and sprayed 3 coats on each. For those who haven't used any paint thinning materials, DO NOT USE ACETONE. This will melt the plastic and you will have a mess. Laquer thinner cleans without causing melting of the plastic surrounds.

The Platic Kote really works well and is a cheaper, much cheaper alternative than what is out there. The can price at Lowe's was under $6. The paint removes without damaging the intented painted area.

Will see how it weathers under driving conditions, but intial assessment proves awesome.

Happy motoring folks.

Texas Cooper

Attached Thumbnails Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?-miscellaneous-005.jpg   Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?-miscellaneous-035.jpg   Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?-miscellaneous-042.jpg  
Old 12-25-2009, 08:24 AM
SilverMini06
1st Gear
removing those headlight trims is not fun. You'll have to 'break' the double-sided tape seal at 3 places between the trim and headlight lense. Carefully pry with a small flat headed screwdriver, between the trim and lense. Once you get one of the tape seals busted, the other two are a little easier. I managed to get the trim piece off with only breaking a few of the clips. You'll want some of that heavy duty double sided tape or adhesive when installing the trim rings back in place.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:11 PM
minirooferS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
Short trip today to play in the hills,

WOW. that is a sexy R56. Is that a JCW or just the JCW kit?

Old 03-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minirooferS
WOW. that is a sexy R56. Is that a JCW or just the JCW kit?
Thanks it is a non JCW which looked so good with the body kit and has been added on to include the JCW CF hood scoop, mirror caps and now the CF Wing. This next week I will be adding a Hoskiss 25mm rear sway bar, TSW lowering springs, end links and a few other engine mods

Old 03-10-2010, 05:08 PM
minirooferS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
Thanks it is a non JCW which looked so good with the body kit and has been added on to include the JCW CF hood scoop, mirror caps and now the CF Wing. This next week I will be adding a Hoskiss 25mm rear sway bar, TSW lowering springs, end links and a few other engine mods

hahaha nice. That wing looks sweet man.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Its a good thing in that its now unique while at the same time a bad thing as now its the only one around with a wing so "if" I should ever do something wrong maybe a little fast etc everyone knows who's car it is..

Old 10-22-2010, 03:05 AM
neo-CY
Neutral
Originally Posted by Professor
Not blacked out but here are the results of color matching the inside of the tails:

And my handles, fuel door, and belt line blacked:

how did you open the lens to paint the inside? there are any instructions somewhere?

Old 11-20-2010, 05:36 PM
mergemini
2nd Gear
Thanks for this thread. 2 weeks into my Mini and I love the look of all of the blacked out chrome on pepper white. Going to start with my gas cap to get the hang of it. Then maybe move to the headlight/taillight rings. And eventually, the rims!

Old 08-30-2014, 04:04 PM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I used Plasti Dip on my Mini last summer and ran through a very tough Maine winter. A couple of observations.

I was very surprised that the small front grill section and headlight rings still look awesome. No fading, no peeling and no pitting from sand and grit.

The side scuttles and gas cap are also in super condition.

The belt line I had to do again. It really became discolored by road dirt and grit. It also lifted in a few places. I peeled the old Plasti Dip off, really cleaned it up good with Windex, reapplied and it looks super again.

I was very skeptical that it would last as good as it did.

The one area I will not redo is the door handles. Plasti Dip can stand up to highly handled areas. I'm probably going to pick up a set of door handle covers from Way Motor Works.