Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just read plastidip can function between -30 and 200F

lastly, according to the can there is yellow, red, clear, white, black, and blue colors available. http://www.plastidip.com/

Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 AM
jtack
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any tips or tricks on masking the door handles and also getting the masking off without having the plasticote come with it? Did you scuff the handles first?

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:39 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm planning on de-chroming my taillights soon, although I will be staying away from cutting them opened for sure.
The year is important due to the type of adhesive used, I have an 05 and I know that they can be warned up and opened, and in most cases the same adhesive can be used if it's warmed back up.
I don't want to cut them if it can be avoided...
Will post more when I get there...
Nice job though, Lookin' good..

Oh yeah, also..... They don't need to be painted since the Chrome is simply painted on, you can actually wipe the chrome off to black which is the color underneath....

Old 08-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Chilipeppa03
3rd Gear
How do u take the door handles of the car? Is it hard to do?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jtack
Any tips or tricks on masking the door handles and also getting the masking off without having the plasticote come with it? Did you scuff the handles first?

Thanks!
once painted, take an exacto knife and cut along your line very lightly, as you start to pull up the tape. if you notice it catching, cut it free with the blade before you pull it beyond its ability to reform.

Originally Posted by Chilipeppa03
How do u take the door handles of the car? Is it hard to do?
yes, you have to remove the door panel. and the allen bolts are very tough to get to access. there is a write up on it. i will post the link when i'm not in the office, unless someone beats me to it.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:47 AM
skillet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MidniteCoop
I'm planning on de-chroming my taillights soon, although I will be staying away from cutting them opened for sure.
The year is important due to the type of adhesive used, I have an 05 and I know that they can be warned up and opened, and in most cases the same adhesive can be used if it's warmed back up.
I don't want to cut them if it can be avoided...
Will post more when I get there...
Nice job though, Lookin' good..

Oh yeah, also..... They don't need to be painted since the Chrome is simply painted on, you can actually wipe the chrome off to black which is the color underneath....
Interested in doing the same thing. Let me know how it turns out, and take pictures for me I'll follow in your steps

Old 08-07-2008, 07:50 AM
thulewx
4th Gear
Well, I'm Plasti-dipping my door handles now - first tried the liquid brush-on but NO WAY - too streaky. Wiped that off then masked a lot and sprayed - much better. not glossy, sort of semi-gloss-ish/flatish. Bit of a pain removing masking since the plasti sticks to it, too - had to use xacto. Won't be dry for 4 hours. Left door with keyhole may be more trouble, masking hole. We'll see....
But overall a lot easier than replacing handles.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 AM
jtack
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thulewx
Well, I'm Plasti-dipping my door handles now - first tried the liquid brush-on but NO WAY - too streaky. Wiped that off then masked a lot and sprayed - much better. not glossy, sort of semi-gloss-ish/flatish. Bit of a pain removing masking since the plasti sticks to it, too - had to use xacto. Won't be dry for 4 hours. Left door with keyhole may be more trouble, masking hole. We'll see....
Did you scuff up the surface first or just mask and spray? Very interested in seeing how this turns out!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 AM
skillet
6th Gear
I wiped with alcohol, then sprayed

** Did any of you clear coat the Plasti-Dip? **

Last edited by skillet; 08-07-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 AM
skillet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thulewx
Post pics I'm doing the handles next

Old 08-07-2008, 03:18 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
here are the handles that i painted with plastidip off the car. i'll put them on the car one of these days...its a big job lol
Name:  MINI042.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  111.9 KB

Name:  MINI045.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  121.6 KB

what do u think bout a plastidip joey mod?

Name:  MINI035.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  55.6 KB

Old 08-07-2008, 03:23 PM
skillet
6th Gear
It can withstand 200 degrees F, so I think it should be ok

Your door handles look amazing BTW. I wish I had the time, and ***** to pull them off...

Old 08-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Stevie likey very much Want to touch the pretty car parts

Old 08-07-2008, 03:39 PM
skillet
6th Gear
Old 08-11-2008, 08:26 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried the plastidip on the headlight rings. Sweet.
Unfortunately it didn't go so well on my scoop--but I made it myself and it's funky at best. Any tips on how to remove the plastidip?...

Old 08-11-2008, 09:06 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
after u let it dry, just pick at an area in order to gain something to get a hold of.(either with ur fingernail or something firm enough to cut, but not scratch your paint underneath. once you have a piece picked open just pull and it all peels off. The thicker the coats, the easier it comes off as it is thicker, and enables you to peel it all off in one piece.

or you can do like i do....my gf has a fascination with it, and begs me to let her peel of the plastidip whenever i mess up.

Last edited by MUShadd; 08-11-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Well I decided to give this stuff a try since the paint I used before (primer, then color, then clear) took a beating this summer in florida sun. Last night I did my door handles with the plastic dip and I'm liking the look/feel (though it felt weird at first when being used to smooth paint). Seems very durable, is really easy to remove, and i love how well it matches the black trim around the car.

Sometime this week I will be repainting all my trim pieces with this stuff. Oh and I have a few surprises that I shall post up when finished :D
I am contemplating doing this on my rims. A while back I painted my rims with high heat engine paint because I felt that it matched the black trim visually pretty well, but the problem turned out that this paint seems to have a purplish hue in certain sunlight conditions. It could be that the paint was never exposed to heat. I've used it on my exhaust tip, which was baked in the over, and then months later on muffler and that heated itself up, so it is a good trim matching black. The rims, not so much. I used it on the door handles too, but same problem; purplish.

Could plasti-dip be my answer? I sure hope so. I better not have to rebalance my wheels tho. I did the first time painting, but that is because I removed the front weights in favor of having them only weighted on the rear.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:21 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
After reading people's results using "Plasti-dip I thought I'd give it a try. I used it on the three remaining pieces to be blacked out on Boo. Lyle from Vinyl Stylings did my headlight rings, door handles,belt line and (although not blacked out) my rear taillights in Ruby red. All that remand was my side repeaters and my gas cap door. I must say that it was very easy to do ! I goofed a couple of times on the gas door and just peeled the Plasti-dip off and re sprayed. Worked very well. Time will tell if it will last but, right now I've got to say it look really good !

Here are a few shots of the completed job ! Tell me what you think !

]

Old 08-12-2008, 04:49 PM
xsproutx
2nd Gear
Man, i tried doing my headlight rings with it and did not come out AT ALL like that. not even close to that smooth. Lots of pits. any tips? i sprayed a layer, waited 20 minutes or so, another, and repeated for 4 coats total

Old 08-12-2008, 05:44 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
I think your in for a heartache trying to use the Plasti-dip on your head light rings. I wouldn't think it would hold up to any kind of rock chip or road debris no matter how many coats you put on it. I'm hoping it will work on my gas lid and side repeaters only because they won't take a direct hit from anything but, if it doesn't work out, I'll just peel it off and start again with paint next time. As I said in my post, I went with vinyl on my head light rings from Lyle at Vinyl styles. I had the rings installed over a year ago ! Not a mark on them ! As far as me getting the texture smooth, it took a couple try's to get it right on the gas lid. I'm pretty sure I just didn't take my time the first time around but no big deal, I just peeled it off and tried again until I got it right !

Originally Posted by xsproutx
Man, i tried doing my headlight rings with it and did not come out AT ALL like that. not even close to that smooth. Lots of pits. any tips? i sprayed a layer, waited 20 minutes or so, another, and repeated for 4 coats total

Old 08-12-2008, 05:46 PM
xsproutx
2nd Gear
i just went with painting them again and threw a lot more clear on them. holding up well so far. but i HAVE seen tons of people platidip their rings and say it holds up very well.

Originally Posted by pauliekeys
I think your in for a heartache trying to use the Plasti-dip on your head light rings. I wouldn't think it would hold up to any kind of rock chip or road debris no matter how many coats you put on it. I'm hoping it will work on my gas lid and side repeaters only because they won't take a direct hit from anything but, if it doesn't work out, I'll just peel it off and start again with paint next time. As I said in my post, I went with vinyl on my head light rings from Lyle at Vinyl styles. I had the rings installed over a year ago ! Not a mark on them ! As far as me getting the texture smooth, it took a couple try's to get it right on the gas lid. I'm pretty sure I just didn't take my time the first time around but no big deal, I just peeled it off and tried again until I got it right !

Old 08-12-2008, 06:03 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Plasti-dip, a miracle product no doubt ! I will soon find out !

Originally Posted by xsproutx
i just went with painting them again and threw a lot more clear on them. holding up well so far. but i HAVE seen tons of people platidip their rings and say it holds up very well.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:06 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
paulie--your car looks fantastic.. Really fantastic! Darn I love the look. It's simple, elegant, classy but hot and modded and euro-ish.

Gee, I guess you might tell I really like it!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:22 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
My rings have been done since april and there is not a single mark on them. my scoop is holding up just as good.

also, if you find your getting little pits or pockets in your plastidip you are probably laying it on too thick and/or not allowing it to dry totally. ive experienced the problem quite a few times. also, dont paint in high humidity that will screw with your results as well

Old 08-12-2008, 08:23 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Thank you DrPhilGandini, Very kind words indeed ! I'm very proud of how Boo has turned out. I've been fortunate to have an understanding wife threw all the mods I've done to Boo........... well let's be honest, she's just been putting up with me for the last two years waiting for the end of "new mods" shaking her head all the way ! LOL ! Thanks again !

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?