Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:24 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sajpogi
Here's mine which I did using Vinyl tape bought from a sign printing shop. 10 bucks for a square yard. Beltline was blacked out using detailing tape bought from Pepboys for 6 bucks. It's not professional work but it looks good. (of course blemishes can be seen if you look really close)

I have yet to use Plasti-dip for the door handles! The only remaining chrome in my car. i dont think I can do the joey mod. It would look good though.
Thanks you guys for the info!

you should go for the Joey mod, its really easy on your headlights, I'd only be worried about doing it on Xenons. a friend of Mine did hers in very little time

Old 08-15-2008, 06:11 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just wanted to show some of my plastidip parts on my dirty car. the emblems are plastidipped and used vinyl from lyle to bring the logo back.

Rings, Joey Mod, Scoop, Badge w/ plastidip
Name:  MINI048.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  83.0 KB

gas cap, door handle, and door cup.
Name:  MINI052.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  95.7 KB

also, this is a picture of how the plasti dip has held up on my headlight rings from the set i just removed. they have been on the car for several months
Name:  MINI054.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  58.3 KB

not a single flaw This stuff is great.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:26 PM
SmokeM
5th Gear
anybody every get any wax on the plastidip? Is the texture smooth so you can wipe it off or is it rough textured like the wheel well trim?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:59 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
I got wax on mine, wiped right off. the surface is very smooth, but has a tacky like feel to it.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:31 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
SnYper, you are the king of all Plasti-dippers ! ! I thought I had gone a little hog wild with the stuff but I pale in comparison. It's very exciting to hear that the parts covered on your car with the Plasti-dip are all holding up.

Big props you you and Blackedout for telling us about this stuff.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
paulie...how did you get those emblems off of your car? or did you just mask everything off around it. I think i'm gonna do my gas cap today and would like to do the emblems (like you sorry I'm gonna copy! ) Just wanted to know how you went about doing it. Thanks again

Steve

Old 08-16-2008, 07:50 AM
skillet
6th Gear
Gas cap unscrews fom the inside (1 torx screw). Emblems, I'm not aware of how to do.

Snyper... did you just ask for the red MINI logo? If you don't mind me asking, how much was that? I just about pulled the trigger on a matte black set of his wings w/ the red logo, but I'm really wanting to plasti-dip mine. I just want the red MINI logo more than anything. I just did my headlight rings yesterday, and LOVE it!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 08:46 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
badges simply pull off, the hotter it is outside, the easier they come off. The easiest method is to get a few strands of dental floss or some fishing line. slide it behind the badges and make a sawing motion to cut through the adhesive.

The only reason i didnt do the badges with lyle is that i didnt like the chrome that showed on the sides, as the vinyl only covers the top.(and its a little pricey) He charged me about $40 for the decals, its expensive, but worth it. I actually had to put it together myself. Meaning i was sent a bunch of black circles, a bunch of red rings, and a bunch of MINI letterings. I laid the red ring and the lettering on the black circles. then i took the whole decal and laid it on the badge.

and thanks for all the compliments. Im interested in seeing what else people will come up with to plastidip...i've already started on my interior lol

Last edited by MUShadd; 08-16-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:51 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SnYpR
Im interested in seeing what else people will come up with to plastidip...i've already started on my interior lol
Hahaha thats what I am doing. I have a plan for the interior. Hopefully I get to finish it soon

Old 08-16-2008, 10:29 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Copy away, just stay out of my town !

I myself didn't take the emblems off, I just shot them on the car after masking and covering EVERYTHING ! ! If you look closely at the pictures I posted, you will see that there is 0 chrome showing ! I even found that if you use a razor blade, you could (if your very careful), pull off the Plasti-dip reveling the Mini emblem ! I left mine totally covered because It looks the part of the total blackout theme I was going for............................................... ........... Theme ? !

Originally Posted by Vernon29RW
paulie...how did you get those emblems off of your car? or did you just mask everything off around it. I think i'm gonna do my gas cap today and would like to do the emblems (like you sorry I'm gonna copy! ) Just wanted to know how you went about doing it. Thanks again

Steve

Old 08-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
ok so maybe I should just paint them on the car. I got some real nice tape that stops paint bleed although I dont think plasti-dip bleeds too much. I'm thinking about doing what you were saying Paulie but paint the whole emblem in hyper blue then paint the whole emblem with plasti-dip and just carve out the letters revealing the blue underneath. I think that would look pretty hot. Or maybe if I was to get the hyper blue vinyl letters from Lyle could I just apply the vinyl over the plasti-dip or do you guys think it wouldn't stick too well. Snyper was there still enough adhesive left after removing them to stick back on the car or did you put double sided tape or something on them when you reinstalled them?? If you just reapplied them have they been holding up well or not long enough to tell yet?

EDIT: BTW I did my tail light tint and sprayed my gas cap yesterday and it came out awesome!! This stuff rocks! I sprayed three light coats on and it was very textured (almost like sandpaper) so I found out if you lay it on heavier it smoothes out the surface and now it feels just like the wheel trim if not a little smoother and looks GREAT!! Just have the door handles (next weekend by Lyle) headlight rings and emblems and I'm done! WOO HOO no more chrome

Last edited by Vernon29RW; 08-17-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
I tried to do my interior idea, but it will not work because the job requires putting masking tape on top of this plasti dip to continue the design and the problem is, even after letting the paint cure overnight, is that the tape just peels the paint off.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
I just bought 3 cans of this and am going to be doing the rings, handles, gas cap, and scoop in the coming weeks.

Didn't someone mention wheels?

Old 08-17-2008, 10:59 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Vernon29RW
Snyper was there still enough adhesive left after removing them to stick back on the car or did you put double sided tape or something on them when you reinstalled them?? If you just reapplied them have they been holding up well or not long enough to tell yet?
They would have stuck back on, but i wasn't comfortable, and didn't want to risk it since theyre expensive. I have a tube of "badge/emblem adhesive" that is a gel. I just applied it to the back of the badges and they havent moved since.

Originally Posted by checkercoop
I tried to do my interior idea, but it will not work because the job requires putting masking tape on top of this plasti dip to continue the design and the problem is, even after letting the paint cure overnight, is that the tape just peels the paint off.
well now you have to share your plan, lol. sucks it didnt work out for you, but you say the tape was peeling up the paint? or did you mean the plastidip? if its peeling up paint, did you do proper prepwork? it shouldnt flake off like that

Last edited by MUShadd; 08-17-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JustJAY
I just bought 3 cans of this and am going to be doing the rings, handles, gas cap, and scoop in the coming weeks.

Didn't someone mention wheels?

Yep Yeah I have already painted my rims black a few months ago with high heat engine paint (it seemed to match the black trim really well on my exhaust components, but those pieces were also baked. The rims were not so they have a purplish hue at certain sunlight). So hopefully soon I will redo my rims with this stuff. Hopefully it will do alright with brake dust, but washes may eventually peel it up. Will see.

Originally Posted by SnYpR
well now you have to share your plan, lol. sucks it didnt work out for you, but you say the tape was peeling up the paint? or did you mean the plastidip? if its peeling up paint, did you do proper prepwork? it shouldnt flake off like that

It was peeling up the plasti dip. I have the piano black interior and am planning on making a black on black checkerboard. To make the pieces connect, and to have the tape so it can be removed right after painting so the plasti dip doesn't attach, I would have to do them one row at a time. So I did a trial and did 2 squares, let them cure over night, then stuck some masking tape on top of them as if I was painting another square, but removing the tape just pulled-up, stretched the plasti dip.

So that idea may still be there, but I may have to think about using the rest of my cans of krylon fusion. I really wished the plasti dip would work because it would have been the best solution since I like the look of it and it just peels off so not a permanent solution if I were to change my mind.

Today I am going to be repainting my headlight/taillight rings and boot handle with the plasti dip because my old paint's clear coat has died from florida sun. I am also going to try the mirror caps because it may look cooler with the matching trim, matte black caps than gloss. I also may think of doing my gas cap. I have the non S so I have the regular cap painted body color, but the great thing about this stuff is it just peels off and doesn't need sanding so it's fun to experiment

Old 08-17-2008, 02:49 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
have u tried blue painters tape? it has very weak adhesion...shouldnt be enough to pull up the plastidip.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:24 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Ok, so I pulled the rings, handles, gas cap, and scoop off and painted. All turned out pretty well. Only had time for 1 coat and have some bubbles. I am going to try and do another coat tomorrow morning depending on the humidity.

When I moved the scoop from where it was drying to bring it inside, I pulled off some of the paint . I am going to try and fix that by putting on a total of 3 coats. It is on the bottom of the scoop on the inside edge.

I am going to do a total of 3 coats on everything.

Will that rubbery like feel go away?

On a separate note, I painted MINInurse's Sport tips in the high temp flat black grill paint and has turned out very nice.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:07 AM
skillet
6th Gear
^^ As long as you put it on light, you should have the rubber textured feel.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
As I said before, I was experiencing a rough texture to my gas cap during the first two coats. Third coat I laid it on pretty heavy and it helped smooth it out alot but still feels like rubber, just smooth rubber.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:29 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Well, I peeled off the scoop and washer covers. I laid a light coat on them and so far is much better. I am definitely doing 3 coats.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
I will get some pics up soon. Everything came out great. The mirror caps are awesome because the match the trim housing almost perfectly. The gas cap I'm not too thrilled with. I like the look from a far, but the texture is too much being surrounded my smooth paint. It would probably look better just wrapped in gloss black vinyl, but I'll keep it for a week or so and see how it looks. Most likely I will just peel it off and leave it body color

Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 PM
suspencer
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would love to see someone plasti-dip the entire roof. It would be a pretty huge job but just think about how fun it would be to peel the plastic off the whole roof if you weren't satisfied. Then you would have like a big, black plastic cape.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:14 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by suspencer
I would love to see someone plasti-dip the entire roof. It would be a pretty huge job but just think about how fun it would be to peel the plastic off the whole roof if you weren't satisfied. Then you would have like a big, black plastic cape.
Wow, I wonder how many cans that would be.

Washer jet covers came out well. Still having issues with the scoop though. I am going to do another coat just to see what happens......

Old 08-19-2008, 06:48 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by suspencer

Haha I was thinking about that too! I was imagining how much easier a wax job would be haha, plus I wouldn't have to worry too much about how often since it would be covered (the pepper white I feel safe with, but my fear is that one day my not waxing enough is going to kill the clearcoat on the black roof)

Old 09-01-2008, 12:00 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
The last remaining chrome on my car is the skull and cross bones emblem and headlight rings. So black plastidip on the skull emblem seems like a good Idea. Only reason I didn't paint it black in the past is because it would chip from rocks and there's no way to clearbra its shape. The rings though, I can't plastidip black as I prefer the body color rings (chilli red for me). Whats stopped me so far is that paint again would chip, the vinyl samples dont match close enough, and custom clearbra would be perhaps too fussy to do. But there's a clear plastidip - could I paint my rings chilli red and get an easy clearbra for it by spraying clear plastidip on top of the chilli red rings? Opinions?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?