Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like a good idea, depends on how "clear" it actually turns out.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can actually do custom colors with Plasti Dip--the problem is that you need to buy it in bulk form--like 1 gallon containers and mix it up yourself.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:25 PM
MINI_chili
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plastidip Roof

My MCS is dark silver and i have blacked out all the chrome w/ matte black spray paint, i wasn't sure if I would like it, so i didn't sand the chrome, it's all held up for 5 months so far, except the front grille and headlight rings.
I am really interested in plasti-dipping my roof, and possibly my friends entire truck, i'm worried it may stain my roof?
Does anyone know If it leaves marks after 3 months or even 3 years?
If I can be sure that it won't leave marks You'll probably find a picture of a Tundra de-badged, matte black rims and plasti-dip body!
And for sure I'll put a pic of my plasti-dipped roof

Old 09-02-2008, 06:08 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_chili
My MCS is dark silver and i have blacked out all the chrome w/ matte black spray paint, i wasn't sure if I would like it, so i didn't sand the chrome, it's all held up for 5 months so far, except the front grille and headlight rings.
I am really interested in plasti-dipping my roof, and possibly my friends entire truck, i'm worried it may stain my roof?
Does anyone know If it leaves marks after 3 months or even 3 years?
If I can be sure that it won't leave marks You'll probably find a picture of a Tundra de-badged, matte black rims and plasti-dip body!
And for sure I'll put a pic of my plasti-dipped roof

Haha I actually had the same idea. I get sick of worrying about having enough wax on the roof since its black and I'm in florida sun, plus I'm loving the flat black. What will really decide it is if I can find a really cheap spoiler and it is in white or some other body color. That way I can paint it myself, and, naturally, "have" to paint the roof to match the spoiler haha

Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
Here I go.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:11 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
PlastiDip'ed the roof

Well, I decided to go ahead and do it. I had a bunch of vinyl that I purchased, but it just did not cooperate after a few tries. My friend and I looked at each other and grabbed a can and went at it. Here is the result:

The rest of the parts are also PlastiDip'ed. The sunroof opens/closes just fine, but I am going to have to peel it off. It seems that it doesn't like the glass, and every time I rub my hand over the sunroof, it ***** up slightly like running your hands over velvet. Also, this is 4 coats which is 4 cans. The funny thing is that I removed the drip rails before painting and if you look at the pics, they match pretty damn close. I would recommend removing the rails before trying this. Makes it much easier.

On a side note, I am not sure if I am going to keep this. I want EB/B, but I am not sure of the durability and longevity of this product in this application. I think 4 coats is the key to any application because I ended up peeling one of my mirror caps trying to get a bug off while hand washing. It had 2 coats on it.

Here is us trying to vinyl. I think my friends expression and body language says is all

Old 09-03-2008, 07:54 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
^^^ Wow that is pretty cool. On the 2nd and 3rd pic it kinda gets a greyish color to it. Does it look like that in person or is it more of a sun/camera affect?

Also, how do you get the drip rails off?

Old 09-03-2008, 09:30 PM
duvinclunk
5th Gear

JustJAY, did you do your headlight rings and door handles with the plasti-dip?

I am a little nervous to hear that it peeled off when washing...

Old 09-04-2008, 04:17 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
^^^ Wow that is pretty cool. On the 2nd and 3rd pic it kinda gets a greyish color to it. Does it look like that in person or is it more of a sun/camera affect?

Also, how do you get the drip rails off?
Here you go. It is very easy BTW, just follow the instructions and when you do the one side, the other will be even easier. It is slightly grayish in person, but when wet, the water beads up and rolls off the roof. It looks better in person.

Originally Posted by duvinclunk
JustJAY, did you do your headlight rings and door handles with the plasti-dip?

I am a little nervous to hear that it peeled off when washing...
Yes, everything that is BLACK is Plastidip'ed. The only thing I would recommend is 4 coats. Some of my parts have 2, some have 3. The roof has 4. I am going back and doing my mirror caps with 4 coats because when I was giving her a bath, I actually rubbed some off and it had 2 coats.

Last edited by JustJAY; 09-04-2008 at 04:25 AM. Reason: answer other question
Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Did you decide to spray or roll/brush it on? props for being ballsy enough to try it on your roof.. mine is already black so i dont have to worry bout it lol

Old 09-04-2008, 12:47 PM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
Anyone else have issues of their pasti-dip rubbing off? SnYpr, how long did you say you have had yours on for?

Old 09-04-2008, 01:08 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Well what he means is that it will peel if you don't have enough coats. This stuff is a kind of rubber so if its just a few spray beads thick it will peel everywhere. When you put a nice, thick 3-4 layers, you make it one continuous layer that will only peel at the extreme ends (like how a sticker does). So as long as you put on 3-4 layers you should be plenty fine and not have to worry about peeling.

I did HL/TL rings, mirror caps, door handles, boot handle, and tow hook with 3-4 layers and it is all holding up fine and feels solid. (next to come is rims ...and possible the roof if I find the need/want/time)

Old 09-04-2008, 01:43 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Anyone else have issues of their pasti-dip rubbing off? SnYpr, how long did you say you have had yours on for?
checkercoop is correct. i've had mine done since april or so. just be generous with the coats. too thin and you can rub it and it will peel up like dead skin

Old 09-04-2008, 04:54 PM
MINI_chili
3rd Gear
I'm glad to hear that it's all holding up, I considered plastidipping my entire car white, then I would be able to just spray paint a new paint job on the car, and if I didn't like it, all i need to do is peel it off. or just keep it pure white, as a little bit of a unique look.
The only down side is that it would probably be around 25 cans!!! but probably worth it, if the coating could stand up to the elements and bugs for at least a year and a half

Old 09-04-2008, 04:59 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SnYpR
Did you decide to spray or roll/brush it on? props for being ballsy enough to try it on your roof.. mine is already black so i dont have to worry bout it lol
We sprayed it on. Didn't think of buying a gallon of it and trying that. We used 4 cans for the roof.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:16 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Did this quite awhile ago using textured paint, not Plasti Dip. It's holding up

Old 09-04-2008, 06:24 PM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
Too bad my stinkin car is still in the shop. I'll do some stuff soon.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
One of the things I love about the "Plastidip" is that it looks as good as a painted piece (IMOP) and is removable if one ever want's to go back to chrome !

We'll see if it holds up but, if it doesn't, I'll just spray it again. I didn't do four coats so, we'll see how it holds up over time.

Originally Posted by ///ACS330Ci
Did this quite awhile ago using textured paint, not Plasti Dip. It's holding up

Last edited by pauliekeys; 09-04-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 PM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
pauliekeys, how many coats did you do? Looks good.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:30 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_chili
I'm glad to hear that it's all holding up, I considered plastidipping my entire car white, then I would be able to just spray paint a new paint job on the car, and if I didn't like it, all i need to do is peel it off. or just keep it pure white, as a little bit of a unique look.
The only down side is that it would probably be around 25 cans!!! but probably worth it, if the coating could stand up to the elements and bugs for at least a year and a half
Wow now that would be an awesome project. And 25 cans will only cost you $125 (maybe cheaper if they let you buy bulk...or free if the company wants to donate it for a promotional project haha) and that is wayyyy cheaper than having a shop paint it. The only negative about this paint is how it sticks to masking tape, but the benefits of no sanding and being able to just peel it off wayyyy over powers that. The other benefit is that when you do decide to take it off, you would have brand new paint underneath haha

Last edited by checkercoop; 09-04-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:35 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Also, I forgot to mention I think. I did accidently nick a couple of areas which I re-sprayed, and it fixed itself What I did was cut the area and made sure it was flat and didn't have any hanging excess and re-sprayed. So, what is also sweet about this product is that if you get any rock hits, you can repair it without peeling completely off.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:02 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Well, Now that I think about it, maybe two coats ! You have to spray the object several times to make sure there is no chrome coming through but once there is no chrome showing through I did one more coat. The side markers were no problem and came out very nice first time. My first attempt with the gas lid was at least four coats with at least 15 minutes wait time in between but, I didn't like the results. It appeared like it had sand underneath. I peeled off the first attempt off the gas lid and started again and this time went a bit slower and didn't build up as much. It came out really nice and smooth. Time will tell if it will hold up.

pauliekeys, how many coats did you do? Looks good.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:49 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Well, I removed the paint from the sunroof. It just didn't look right, but I think the roof looks better now.

I know the images aren't very crisp, these were taken with my cellphone.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:11 PM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
Got my car back and bought some pasti-dip to test out. I am currently doing the tow hook to practice and see how it all works out. Quick questions: How hard are the headlight rings to get off? How do you get them off? Has anyone cracked the rear lights open and sprayed the chrome trim in there?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
I just did my tails that way. Sprayed the lenses as well. Look at my thread.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...71#post2460871

Last edited by xnotfunkylex; 09-08-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Any DIY's for black-out door handles, light rings, gas caps?